IGNORED

Driverless Car Kills Pedestrian....

Maesknoll Red

Sad case when such an event  happens. One fatality will naturally attract attention. There was another a few years ago when a tractor pulled out into an autonomous vehicle's path (in America). What you don't get to hear about is the huge number of fatalities that 'normal' drivers are involved with day to day. The rates for non-autonomous crashes are rather different.

Autonomous vehicles are going to be pushed by the various authorities so will be more prevalent. The real question is how hard will they enforce it on the public. Could the rules dictate that they will be the norm  or will we have any say in the matter?

5 hours ago, RedDave said:

It will happen one day for sure.  If all cars are driverless then there technically should be less traffic. I have seen them being tested in the UK on motorways.  I predict next ten years it will be the norm.

Wouldn’t there by more cars on the road because I’m guessing nobody would need a driving license so in theory every human in the world could own one

3 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Wouldn’t there by more cars on the road because I’m guessing nobody would need a driving license so in theory every human in the world could own one

No one would need to own a car, it would be like Uber and you just request them. Furthermore there would be less traffic as they can talk to each other and go the best/quickest route 

4 hours ago, Selred said:

No one would need to own a car, it would be like Uber and you just request them. Furthermore there would be less traffic as they can talk to each other and go the best/quickest route 

I wouldn't be totally at ease , ahem , " spooning "  , in a driverless car that ' talks ' to other parties . 

" Car 2 , the Major's pulled again ."

" Car 3 , the randy old bugger . Is he with that blonde again ? " ...

:disapointed2se:

On 20/03/2018 at 09:19, Selred said:

I believe this is the idea. No need to own a car. As we don’t need to own a plane to go abroad, or a train to, erm, get ripped off?

9 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I believe this is the idea. No need to own a car. As we don’t need to own a plane to go abroad, or a train to, erm, get ripped off?

So if you wanted to nip up the shop for a loaf of bread you would have to wait around for one of these to show up,for that reason I’m out  :P I suppose it would at least get the taxi drivers off the road but onto the dole.

On ‎20‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 07:02, Juan Kerr said:

I`m sticking to my leg operated, dependent, old-fashioned push bike, thank `ee very glad. I`m having nowt to do with those bloody robots....the supermarket tills are bad enough.

Re Shop/Supermarket Till's 

I absolutely refuse to use those damn DIY self serve things... Wrong on so many levels, loss of personal face to face service with fellow humans, inevitable loss of jobs, less community interactions.. Autonomous thin edge of the wedge imo of a sad impersonal robotic future, and decline of humanity generally .

1 hour ago, WhistleHappy said:

Re Shop/Supermarket Till's 

I absolutely refuse to use those damn DIY self serve things... Wrong on so many levels, loss of personal face to face service with fellow humans, inevitable loss of jobs, less community interactions.. Autonomous thin edge of the wedge imo of a sad impersonal robotic future, and decline of humanity generally .

Many years ago , at my local bank there were two members of staff who approached every customer proposing ' the new inter net ' bank account . 

I delicately pointed out to them that they were like turkeys voting for Christmas, before declining their offer.

The staff are no longer working there. The branch closed down .

How much longer before society no longer has need of human beings ? 

3 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Many years ago , at my local bank there were two members of staff who approached every customer proposing ' the new inter net ' bank account . 

I delicately pointed out to them that they were like turkeys voting for Christmas, before declining their offer.

The staff are no longer working there. The branch closed down .

How much longer before society no longer has need of human beings ? 

Well said Major. 

All jokes aside, I would actually pay more in any service industry to deal with and be served by human beings. Nothing worse than having to pick up the phone to go through robotic answering machines.

The end of the Human race has been long expected - it's just a question of when and how. Will it be some cataclysmic disaster or will it be of our own volition? As Mr Bowie once sang:

"The earth is a bitch
We've finished our news
Homo Sapiens have outgrown their use
All the strangers came today
And it looks as though they're here to stay"

I'm off to bash my ZX80 - there's no saying how far they will take over....:mf_sleep:

20 hours ago, Erithacus said:

The end of the Human race has been long expected - it's just a question of when and how. Will it be some cataclysmic disaster or will it be of our own volition? As Mr Bowie once sang:

"The earth is a bitch
We've finished our news
Homo Sapiens have outgrown their use
All the strangers came today
And it looks as though they're here to stay"

I'm off to bash my ZX80 - there's no saying how far they will take over....:mf_sleep:

Well I for one welcome our new insect overlords.

12 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

A human can get a sense of what another human might do,a computer can’t because well.... it’s a computer 

Actually there is vast amount a computer can learn about what a human might do through machine learning.  But in this case it wouldn't have mattered either way, there is video of the incident and there was nothing any driver could have done.

16 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

A human can get a sense of what another human might do,a computer can’t because well.... it’s a computer 

But there was a human in the autonomous car able to override.

Then on Sunday night, an autonomous car operated by Uber — and with an emergency backup driver behind the wheel — struck and killed a woman on a street in Tempe, Ariz.

There is the video footage on YouTube now. It appears to show a woman pushing her bicycle across a multi-lane road at night and getting hit. No obvious sign of any reaction by the car. The video also appears to show the 'driver' otherwise occupied at the controls. Not sure what that all means in the aftermath, but the minds of the interested parties must be fully engaged now.

On 22/03/2018 at 06:54, joe jordans teeth said:

So if you wanted to nip up the shop for a loaf of bread you would have to wait around for one of these to show up,for that reason I’m out  :P I suppose it would at least get the taxi drivers off the road but onto the dole.

Well they will pretty much be instant. Look how many cars are on your neighbours drives when you pop out, think of how many cars aren’t used. 

7 hours ago, joe jordans teeth said:

In the video the human isn’t even looking at the road until the very last second presumably because they aren’t driving it so naturally their mind is not fully concentrating 

Givem they're being paid to be the backup driver, surely they should have been paying attention?

Archived