IGNORED

This is what happens when you have a ground full of day trippers !

phantom

• Admin

Song sheets and continental-style 'cheerleaders' with megaphones are among the ideas being discussed in an effort to improve the atmosphere at Manchester United's home games.

Manager Jose Mourinho has previously said that Old Trafford is too quiet.

The club were asked at a recent fans' forum if song sheets could be distributed at the turnstiles.

United said they would look into the idea, although it is highly unlikely to be implemented.

Megaphones? Instruments?

Fans' groups are apparently looking into whether it would be possible to replicate the atmosphere at grounds in countries such as Germany and Italy, where crowd involvement is 'conducted' by supporters with megaphones, backed by other fans with instruments.

United did introduce a singing section in the north-east corner of the ground but it has not made a significant improvement.

Both the club and fans' groups felt the situation was far better on Saturday, when the singing section was moved to the south-east corner of the stadium for the FA Cup quarter-final with Brighton.

However, this is the area normally reserved for away supporters and it is felt moving that section for league games is impractical given the number of season ticket holders in other parts of the ground.

Don't think it'll be long until English grounds get capos.

Got to say the song sheets are a ******* embarrassing idea though. Shouldn't be going if you need to read lyrics to a chant off a bit of paper.

I went to Old Trafford the season before last (a freebie) and it was swarming with "football tourists".  People who had no more clue where they were going than I did.

It was a boring experience and a flat atmosphere.

Why don't they just hang microphones above the fans and amplify it. :whistle:

The club have created a scenario where a certain type of customer turns up. They can't sing properly while filming with their phone or if they're still finishing a prawn sandwich in one of the suites.

All of their making. 

38 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Why don't they just hang microphones above the fans and amplify it. :whistle:

The club have created a scenario where a certain type of customer turns up. They can't sing properly while filming with their phone or if they're still finishing a prawn sandwich in one of the suites.

All of their making. 

Totally agree with you, unfortunately our club are also heading (slowly) in the same direction. #fansnotcustomers!

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Song sheets and continental-style 'cheerleaders' with megaphones are among the ideas being discussed in an effort to improve the atmosphere at Manchester United's home games.

Manager Jose Mourinho has previously said that Old Trafford is too quiet.

The club were asked at a recent fans' forum if song sheets could be distributed at the turnstiles.

United said they would look into the idea, although it is highly unlikely to be implemented.

Megaphones? Instruments?

Fans' groups are apparently looking into whether it would be possible to replicate the atmosphere at grounds in countries such as Germany and Italy, where crowd involvement is 'conducted' by supporters with megaphones, backed by other fans with instruments.

United did introduce a singing section in the north-east corner of the ground but it has not made a significant improvement.

Both the club and fans' groups felt the situation was far better on Saturday, when the singing section was moved to the south-east corner of the stadium for the FA Cup quarter-final with Brighton.

However, this is the area normally reserved for away supporters and it is felt moving that section for league games is impractical given the number of season ticket holders in other parts of the ground.

Could be much worse.

The Chumpions League final has 17k tickets for either side, and 28k corporate seats.

Imagine that ratio on a nationwide scale. Why bother telling the oiks how to celebrate when the real money comes in from the stadium deals?

1 hour ago, ZiderEyed said:

Got to say the song sheets are a ******* embarrassing idea though. Shouldn't be going if you need to read lyrics to a chant off a bit of paper.

And all it's going to lead to is people shuffling sheets of paper and asking "what song are we on now?"

It's not as if it's bloody hard to learn a chant anyway. I cannot think of a single City song you couldn't pick up the words to within three listens. Maybe the Tom Hark one - "do we hate Gazprom or Asda or Gaston? Who the *** is Gaston anyway?" but even then you can pick up the seventeen years bit easily enough.

I honesty don't think the reason fans don't sing is because they don't know the lyrics...

• Admin
2 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

You just reminded me of what Hull City tried 

hull-advertising-boards-songs

15 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Haven’t Manchester reds got the oldest average age of home fan in the country. 

Im sure I read that somewhere.

Its clear to see when watching them on the tv, that there just arent many under the age of 30.

Not surprised. Suspect there is a massive generation gap in who can afford the tickets...

Chelsea is the same, my Mrs supports them (has done all her life so not a glory hunter), I took her to a game last year, I was waiting on the concourse whilst she used the loo when I realised that of the dozen or so groups of people around me , not one was speaking in English.

The best bit however was during the game, there was a young guy in a suit who was constantly up and down going to get teas and snacks for the other suited guys with him, he appeared to have no interest in the game other than looking after this group. Upon the tenth time or so that he got up a bloke behind me in a South London accent shouted out "  Oi, corperate, sit down", and he did, split my sides laughing.

2 hours ago, sephjnr said:

Could be much worse.

The Chumpions League final has 17k tickets for either side, and 28k corporate seats.

Imagine that ratio on a nationwide scale. Why bother telling the oiks how to celebrate when the real money comes in from the stadium deals?

Bluddy disgraceful !

The suit 'n' shiny-shoes brigade deserve a larger allocation.

To be fair, Roy Keane said how bad it was becoming towards the end of his time there/just after he left, with his "Prawn sandwich" comments. A few years under Moyes, Van Gaal, and even Jose where the football has become worse since SAF retired, it's not really that big a surprise - they have little to excite them.

Also in that time the club has branched further out in the "global market", which is in turn going to attract more day trippers. Think their best support tends to come away from from home.....

If the anti Rovers songs are sung, I will not even try to join in. 

Pro City songs and many more might give it a go. 

It's difficult to get too excited at some games. Like v Sunderland when it was too easy for us to score. Into second half and I reckon 90% of the crowd knew what was going to happen soon as they got one back. Any amount of singing, cheering and noise wouldn't have stopped the collapse. 

All managers tell the fans that we can influence a game. But is that true? I think our influence is minimal. 

I'd much rather have the American style 'cheerleaders'.

But in all seriousness you can't manufacture atmosphere. It's gonna be the football equivalent of canned laughter. 

There is nothing that safe standing and more affordable;e prices won't sort out.

9 hours ago, Taz said:

To be fair, Roy Keane said how bad it was becoming towards the end of his time there/just after he left, with his "Prawn sandwich" comments. A few years under Moyes, Van Gaal, and even Jose where the football has become worse since SAF retired, it's not really that big a surprise - they have little to excite them.

Also in that time the club has branched further out in the "global market", which is in turn going to attract more day trippers. Think their best support tends to come away from from home.....

Korey Smith soon shut them up :worship2:

18 hours ago, Xiled said:

I went to Old Trafford the season before last (a freebie) and it was swarming with "football tourists".  People who had no more clue where they were going than I did.

It was a boring experience and a flat atmosphere.

A plastic club with plastic glory hunting fans. They'll be waiting a hell of a long time to watch the Man Utd open top bus parade around Bristol. Jokers.

Archived