IGNORED

This is what happens when you have a ground full of day trippers !

phantom

11 hours ago, Sleepy1968 said:

I'd much rather have the American style 'cheerleaders'.

But in all seriousness you can't manufacture atmosphere. It's gonna be the football equivalent of canned laughter. 

There is nothing that safe standing and more affordable;e prices won't sort out.

I was going to suggest the equivalent of canned laughter; record some crowd noises off a 1970s video recording and then pipe that it into the ground through concealed speakers at appropriate moments during the game.

Voila - instant atmosphere!

23 hours ago, phantom said:

You just reminded me of what Hull City tried 

hull-advertising-boards-songs

Don’t laugh people. It has already arrived at AG.

Wasn't it against Man City we had ‘Come on you Reds’ flashing up on our screens? Cringeworthy. Truly awful and embarrassing.

AG atmosphere is getting worse and worse. Passive support created by a business machine. A machine that thinks it is so in control that it can manufacturer and manipulate the atmosphere. 

Thank God I experienced football in the raw in the 70s. For many, the atmosphere pre, during, post match was as much, if not more, important than the football. You had a real part to play in the event, if if we lost getting one over rival fans meant you could still have a good day. You took a pride in your own and fellow supporters performance as well as the team. 

Current experience, now the novelty of the new stadium has worn off, is beginning to leave me cold. It’s just so sterile. Real risk, if the football becomes a bore, then the ‘product’ for me and many others won’t be worth the effort of attending.

1 hour ago, Moor2Sea said:

Thank God I experienced football in the raw in the 70s. For many, the atmosphere pre, during, post match was as much, if not more, important than the football. You had a real part to play in the event, if if we lost getting one over rival fans meant you could still have a good day. You took a pride in your own and fellow supporters performance as well as the team. 

Current experience, now the novelty of the new stadium has worn off, is beginning to leave me cold. It’s just so sterile. Real risk, if the football becomes a bore, then the ‘product’ for me and many others won’t be worth the effort of attending.

It will never come back everything from the majority of new customer flow ( Fans ) to what Bristol Sport is aiming for is against Football in the raw, they don't give a monkeys about an old style intimidating atmosphere as long as customers are paying top dollar in the food n drink outlets,shop and season cards.

As you point out the pre match build up ect is dead flat unless the away side has a decent vocal support of which less than a quarter of current Championship sides have !

Manchester City had amazing support always battling the odds against Utd especially away from home their fans were respected for their numbers and noise now like a lot of the mega clubs its  almost zombie like.

Your summing up is spot on.       

1 hour ago, View from the Dolman said:

And? It was happening 10 years ago at AG on the old East End scoreboard.

But in the East End and parts of the rest of the ground you couldn’t see it, or if you could, it was very easy to ignore it. A bit more difficult with the new ones, wouldn’t you agree?

No matter. The Americanisation of our game is no doubt here to stay. It’s progress for some and keeps the £££’s rolling in, until people get bored with it and having no real affinity with the Club will just move on to the next big thing.

To me, now just a shallow interpretation of what we once had and a ‘product’ that I find less attractive than once was. Little buzz now, whereas from about noon the atmosphere around and, once opened, in the ground could be electric. So flat nowadays, it’s hard to tell if the game has kicked off and that’s no criticism of the signing s3ction who do their best in difficult circumstances. 

14 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

But in the East End and parts of the rest of the ground you couldn’t see it, or if you could, it was very easy to ignore it. A bit more difficult with the new ones, wouldn’t you agree?

No matter. The Americanisation of our game is no doubt here to stay. It’s progress for some and keeps the £££’s rolling in, until people get bored with it and having no real affinity with the Club will just move on to the next big thing.

To me, now just a shallow interpretation of what we once had and a ‘product’ that I find less attractive than once was. Little buzz now, whereas from about noon the atmosphere around and, once opened, in the ground could be electric. So flat nowadays, it’s hard to tell if the game has kicked off and that’s no criticism of the signing s3ction who do their best in difficult circumstances. 

To some extent you are  right, but the other end of the spectrum was the 4.5k crowds of the 4th division days,  in a shit ground with NO atmosphere. Memories are sometimes what we want them to be! Give me the current set up every time.

Over the last 10-15 years the game and fans have changed

Football was about the sport Now its Money

Back then most fans went because they loved fooball

Now many "fans" go because football is the in thing and cool

I know at least 10 blokes who go and watch City now who wouldnt be seen dead at football 15 years ago

13 hours ago, Cheesleysmate said:

A plastic club with plastic glory hunting fans. They'll be waiting a hell of a long time to watch the Man Utd open top bus parade around Bristol. Jokers.

What does ‘plastic’ mean in this context? Not having a go, I’ve just never really understood what people mean when they call a club ‘plastic’ - especially (arguably) the biggest club in the world. I’ve seen Reading called ‘plastic’ on here recently too...I just don’t get it...

3 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

What does ‘plastic’ mean in this context? Not having a go, I’ve just never really understood what people mean when they call a club ‘plastic’ - especially (arguably) the biggest club in the world. I’ve seen Reading called ‘plastic’ on here recently too...I just don’t get it...

Plastic is manufactured, just like the supporters of Man Utd.

If they were real supporters they would follow their local clubs instead of trying to glory hunt.

Like I said, if any of those Premier League teams win the league they aren't going to do an open top bus tour of Bristol.

It's hollow support.

Nothing better than spending the afternoon in the centre of Bristol celebrating a league and cup double.

Unfortunately for plastic supporters they will never truly feel part of it. Not properly. 

Same with Liverpool and the London clubs....they ain't Bristol and they don't give a flying **** about Bristol. 

It's being a half brother or sister. You're never really "in the family". Hollow.

4 hours ago, Cheesleysmate said:

Plastic is manufactured, just like the supporters of Man Utd.

If they were real supporters they would follow their local clubs instead of trying to glory hunt.

Like I said, if any of those Premier League teams win the league they aren't going to do an open top bus tour of Bristol.

It's hollow support.

Nothing better than spending the afternoon in the centre of Bristol celebrating a league and cup double.

Unfortunately for plastic supporters they will never truly feel part of it. Not properly. 

Same with Liverpool and the London clubs....they ain't Bristol and they don't give a flying **** about Bristol. 

It's being a half brother or sister. You're never really "in the family". Hollow.

Yeh, I get your comments about some supporters....but not sure how an actual club can be called ‘plastic’ ...

On 23/03/2018 at 04:08, BS4 on Tour... said:

Yeh, I get your comments about some supporters....but not sure how an actual club can be called ‘plastic’ ...

Any club that considers playing a couple of home games in Singapore is as plastic as they come.

14 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I’ll give you MK Dons...but Man Utd??!!!! One of the world’s biggest clubs?! I just can’t understand that one...

I imagine people referring to Man United as plastic are clumsily trying to imply that the majority of their supporters could be regarded as "plastics". If you go round the world and ask every Man United fan to name every player in the squad I'd be very surprised if most could do it.

On 2018-03-23 at 06:57, The Gambler said:

If Man U want more atmosphere they should increase the away allocation at Old Traffordexample got.

We usually plan our Easter trip after the autumn trip and although you can become a member of U at that point for £20 you will dead certainly not get a ticket. Nothing but a fraud. Chelsea for example don't accept new members after a certain date as the they are not in to usurioucity. By becoming a Swansea member you can buy tickets for the U (a) game for £20 (£15 as an OAP) though.

Archived