IGNORED

Amsterdam, England game.

BCFC1512

31 minutes ago, Taunton_BCFC said:

On route, any city already there recommend any decent bars?

Back in 2002 loads of us City lads stayed in The Winston (right in the red light), There is a quality bar called Belushi's right there, decent tunes, and you can smoke in there too. http://www.belushis.com/bars/amsterdam City had about 100 lads out there for that trip, was a cracker!

I went out there on a stag this time last year, The Grasshopper had changed to more of a restaurant now, so probably worth avoiding.

The Old Sailor will be full of English lads, and a good atmosphere, and of course the Bulldog.

Have a great time out there, will be a right craic i'm sure, wish I was going.

Went there in 2002 like a previous poster mentioned. I think we flew into Charleroi and then spent the next few hours dodging the ticket collector on the train to Amsterdam. Everyone one was in high spirits due to the 3 lions opening at 3 am in the morning. Had a good time and was a big contingent of city fans over there including some boys from Taunton ,can’t remember much of the game du to having a good few drinks in the lead up to it. Wish I was going myself, maybe next time! . I know one thing though it will not be as mad as Rotterdam was 10 years earlier never seen such a large mob of England fans in all my life ,some of them were truly frightening......

1 hour ago, archie andrews said:

a friend of mine wants to know how much a "good time" is nowadays........

Just remember what Jermaine Stewart said:
We don't have to take our clothes off (No, no)
To have a good time, oh no
We could dance and party all night (all night, all night)
And drink some cherry wine, uh-huh (Oh, no, no, oh)

3 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

Talksport saying 5,000 English fans are heading there.

Not sure how that squares up with the amouint heading to Russia.

Got a feeling it will be a fair few more than that! Loads are going for this and I know of only about 3 that have tickets for the England end!! 

4 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

Talksport saying 5,000 English fans are heading there.

Not sure how that squares up with the amouint heading to Russia.

I suspect there will be considerably fewer than 5,000 fans with tickets sold through the FA’s official allocation in both Volgograd and Nizhny Novgorod (especially as our allocation was, I believe, lower than this).

Given that it’s quite a bit nearer, Kaliningrad (Belgium game) seems to be the one that most are heading to, especially given the number of relatively cheap flights from the UK to Gdańsk, Warsaw, Vilnius or Kaunas. 

That said, there will inevitably be a lot of English expats from all corners of the world heading to the World Cup, as happened in South Africa and Brazil (and previous world cups). I remember sitting next to an England fan on a Miami to Manaus flight 4 years ago, who was meeting his brother later that day in Manaus - his brother had flown to Brazil from New Zealand for the Italy game. 

14 minutes ago, YorkshireSection said:

There's a good amount of justified worry around the safety of England fans, however, I don't think they will be the only set of supporters that will come under attack from the Russians. 

Do you not think all these ‘England fans will come under attack’ reports are hysteria?

We were all meant to come under attack from Ukrainian hooligans at Euro 2012 - Sol Campbell’s infamous line, ‘you’ll come home in a coffin’. 

We were all meant to be carjacked and shot in South Africa in 2010.

We were all meant to be mugged and fatally stabbed in Brazil in 2014. 

I had a great time at all three tournaments. 

Perhaps I’m being blasé about Russia, but I find some of these multiple scare stories hard to take seriously. 

9 hours ago, North London Red said:

Do you not think all these ‘England fans will come under attack’ reports are hysteria?

We were all meant to come under attack from Ukrainian hooligans at Euro 2012 - Sol Campbell’s infamous line, ‘you’ll come home in a coffin’. 

We were all meant to be carjacked and shot in South Africa in 2010.

We were all meant to be mugged and fatally stabbed in Brazil in 2014. 

I had a great time at all three tournaments. 

Perhaps I’m being blasé about Russia, but I find some of these multiple scare stories hard to take seriously. 

Scaremongering happens every time there is a tournament. Everyone was supposed to get blown up by ISIS in France, never happened. 

Loads of great bars on the strip in Red Light district. Many have recommeneded the Old Sailor, which is great. I'd also recommend Frontline bar and Cafe Remember. Majority of places have some sort of smoking area too.

Obviously the Bulldog is a must. There are 3 of them on the same street. Go for the one in the middle, which looks like an old victorian pub inside. It is the only bulldog that allows smoking and beer.

17 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

6pm news reporting 25 England fans  have been arrested, and 'Southgate appealing for fans to behave'.

Fans once again giving us a good name. I bloody love Amsterdam. Shame people can’t relax and enjoy it without making fools of themselves:

https://twitter.com/footyawayday/status/977145473151766529

11 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Fans once again giving us a good name. I bloody love Amsterdam. Shame people can’t relax and enjoy it without making fools of themselves:

https://twitter.com/footyawayday/status/977145473151766529

WTF,......words fail me.......

On 22/03/2018 at 10:09, KnowleUtd City said:

Back in 2002 loads of us City lads stayed in The Winston (right in the red light), There is a quality bar called Belushi's right there, decent tunes, and you can smoke in there too. http://www.belushis.com/bars/amsterdam City had about 100 lads out there for that trip, was a cracker!

In assorted Cities across Europe, there is a Belushi's bar and joined on to it is a branch of St Christopher's Hostels giving cheap B&B. Beds are soft, rooms clean and the bathrooms are spotless. The dorms are mixed sex. The first time I went in the next bed as a 19 year old female!

Archived