IGNORED

What causes our mid season slump?

Unan

On 3/23/2018 at 08:12, cidered abroad said:

Keep cycling! Life is a battle and you keep your sense of humour because that will help you through whatever is to come.

This will make you laugh. We've had a year of real problems with an aggressive neighbour. Two days ago we got a letter from the council informing us he'd made a complaint of harassment against us.

Yesterday we discovered he has put his house up for sale. So there is always light at the end of the tunnel.

Let's just hope Lee Johnson buys it.

The same as with winning runs: a perfect storm of conditions. 

Fixtures, luck, injuries, referees, individual players confidence, team spirit, experience, character, fatigue, support, focus, team selection, tactics.

Internal factors, external factors. Mental/physical. Controllable/uncontrollable. 

All the usual elements. Then, momentum builds, which is mostly mental, in both the minds of the players, the manager, the fans and the opposition. 

It can happen to any team (it happens to most teams), but not necessarily mid-season.

It's probably coincidence that it happened twice mid-season (that's the short answer).

14 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Let's just hope Lee Johnson buys it.

That would be unlikely as someone so rich as LJ is hardly going to buy a very small two bed bungalow in BOS.

As a neighbour, I guess he would be a good neighbour, sociable and a friendly person in the neighbourhood. 

I don't dislike LJ; it's just that I do not consider him the right person for the job. 

14 minutes ago, mozo said:

The same as with winning runs: a perfect storm of conditions. 

Fixtures, luck, injuries, referees, individual players confidence, team spirit, experience, character, fatigue, support, focus, team selection, tactics.

Internal factors, external factors. Mental/physical. Controllable/uncontrollable. 

All the usual elements. Then, momentum builds, which is mostly mental, in both the minds of the players, the manager, the fans and the opposition. 

It can happen to any team (it happens to most teams), but not necessarily mid-season.

It's probably coincidence that it happened twice mid-season (that's the short answer).

You are forgetting that it also happened for LJ at Oldham and Barnsley. Four consecutive years at three different clubs is too big a coincidence. 

I really believe a hell of a lot comes down to confidence. 
Just looked at last year, we were not as good as our early season results would have it. But, during the start of the poor run we had some bad luck and the usual things that teams have to put up with, but ours seem to come in spells. I said last year, although Tomlin wasn't great he was the one player in the team who would accept the ball whenever. Others were almost hiding, no one would show for throw ins or be willing to take the ball .
Jump on to this year. Injuries, fatigue and a little bad luck and we hit a poor run. I think we all made excuses for Wolves (Frankie head fit),Villa (ran out of steam and players),Watford (reserves) , Man City (well they're Man City) , Norwich ( no excuse for this one) . We then had a little time to rest players etc, and no excuses apart from maybe integrating players back into the team. 
Our run of form then , from the away game at Derby was and ignoring Man City was ....  WLDDDLWLDW. 13 points from 30  and during that run you could see similarities to last year.  Our form and style of play is vastly improved but I really believe that there have been signs we could get some sort of form back. It might be the this International break will actually help us for a change.  To spotlight one player that seems to sum up what seems to have happened to the team. Pato was brilliant early season and integral to out stunning form leading up to that Man City away game. As his form has dipped so has the teams. Now I think this is coincidence rather than being a one man team, but. As his for dipped even his close control seemed poor, and there were games he would stand near an opposition player rather than look to receive a pass. I don't understand how something that you can't see, measure or train into players can make such a difference, but it does, and although there may be small signs of improvement losing leads as against Sun'land and Leeds shows it's still there and brittle. 

On 22/03/2018 at 16:29, Robbored said:

Most teams go through a slump at some point over 46 games. Cardiff over Xmas and NY, Leeds and Derby as well and other times. Only Wolves seen slump free this season.

The explanation is probability very similar at all clubs. Combination of injuries, suspensions, quick turnover of games, strength and depth of squad.

Our injuries this year have been worse tbh...worse than the norm.

Our physio Steve Allen was on record just the other week saying this(think there's a thread about it, but don't have time to look) - he said it was his most challenging in 30 years in football. 

Usually 3 or 4 operations in a season- we've had TEN to date!

Trust me, our injuries- far from normal. Not saying it's the only reason, but definitely has been a big part of it IMO.

Personally I also put it down to the tinkering in system and- with the notable exception of the terrible/confidence shattered Diony, the inability or unwillingness to adjust shape and setup adequately to accommodate Walsh and Kent properly- who if used differently may have given us a second wind. Season isn't over yet- they still might help us rise again!

56 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Our injuries this year have been worse tbh...worse than the norm.

Our physio Steve Allen was on record just the other week saying this(think there's a thread about it, but don't have time to look) - he said it was his most challenging in 30 years in football. 

Usually 3 or 4 operations in a season- we've had TEN to date!

Trust me, our injuries- far from normal. Not saying it's the only reason, but definitely has been a big part of it IMO.

Personally I also put it down to the tinkering in system and- with the notable exception of the terrible/confidence shattered Diony, the inability or unwillingness to adjust shape and setup adequately to accommodate Walsh and Kent properly- who if used differently may have given us a second wind. Season isn't over yet- they still might help us rise again!

To summarise your post - you accept that injuries have had a significant effect but you think the reason for the 'slump' lies at LJs door?

41 minutes ago, Robbored said:

To summarise your post - you accept that injuries have had a significant effect but you think the reason for the 'slump' lies at LJs door?

To summarise what I wrote, yeah probably about right. However I would hasten to add, LJ is still well in credit this year and the Cup run obviously played its part- I suppose I'm saying there are multiple reasons, but injuries have been the significant one.

@Robbored Ha you reacted to my post exactly as I was editing it- oddly enough, being at work I have to type quickly and have half an eye on who is appearing behind me so couldn't put it all in the original! :laugh:

Archived