IGNORED

Matt Hewlett

Keepers Ball

I was chatting to my Son the other night about all the players he watched when he was growing up.

He mentioned Matt Hewlett and asked where he was nowadays...

...anyone know ?

He retired a couple of years ago had a back injury if I remember rightly.

I don't know what happened to him when he went to Swindon. At City he was clearly talented but so lightweight he kept being pushed off the ball and couldn't tackle for toffee.

When he arrived at Swindon he became a tough-tackling hard man midfield general and became club captain.

Maybe it's Arkells ales?

Guest MaloneFM

He was toughened up in trning by practising tackling on well known fat bastard good time Charlie, Lee Peacock.

I have got a lot of time for Peacock. Especially his goalkeeping feats at Hillsborough a few seasons ago.

He was in the West Independant a few weeks back they do a catch up with former city and rovers players, he is retired and now works in the catering business with his brother. And remember forbes phillipson masterson well he now runs his own building firm.

Matty Hewlett....a player I watched growing up. Seems so long ago now but always rated Matty

Could never understand why he was often the butt of criticism. Smooth player for me. Always appeared to have time on the ball before injury. However I've always been biased towards young players coming through. Always thought Hewlett was a rolls of a player.

Archived