IGNORED

The Truth About Referees

The Man In Black

On ITV tonight at 21:45 they have a documentary focusing on the amount of abuse and intimidation referees face.

It might be interesting to watch, especially so for non-referees to appreciate what a thankless task it is - albeit a task that football relies on.

My only gripe from reading the programme info is that it appears they might not focus on non-league refs - the ones who are truely on the front line and are lucky to get paid a tenner for their weekend portion of abuse.

The Truth About Referees

21:45 - 22:30

Examining the intimidation and violence facing football referees, which can come from players, fans and managers. Anders Frisk tells how he quit the industry after a storm of controversy following comments by Jose Mourinho that questioned his impartiality. Urs Meier discusses becoming the subject of a media hate campaign when he made an unpopular Euro 2004 decision, while Scottish official Iain Brines is fitted with a microphone for the duration of a Motherwell and Hearts game to illustrate the abuse he receives

Why did some 4,000 football referees quit the game last year? This programme investigates the threats of violence and intimidation from players and fans at grassroots level, as well as mind games from managers. With interviews and unique footage of the men in the firing line.

It looks like something worth a watch. I saw a short program on Sky sports 1, early saturday morning that showed a new Referees acadamy in southampton I beleave, It was like a youth training program for students interested in Refereeing. They would train with the young teams. Looks a positive step. It also mentioned about the large amount of Referees quitting last year. Refereeing has to be pretty tough, with most decisions, half of the ground wont agree, and then you have the players to contend with. The players now-a-days seem to have very little respect for the ref's, I think they have a pretty tough time!

Should be an interesting incite into the life of a ref! xxxx

What did you think MIB? And hows your refereeing going?

Sorry in advance for the length of this....... read it in two sittings if it helps....

Unfortunately I'm in the statistic that they kept quoting - I quit.

I enjoyed doing it, especially when I had a bunch of good lads that I was reffing. There were a couple of teams in particular and when I saw that I had them scheduled I would smile and look forward to it - the sort of players that would give a bit of banter and every now and then politely question your decisions.

There was also evidence of sportsmanship - I sometimes saw players congratulating players from the other team, helping them off the floor and..... wait for it.... telling me that I had a corner or throw-in decision wrong (bear in mind you usually don't have assistant referees so had to make a judgement from afar).

Whilst a friendly the fans forum game between the CJS and the forum team was also a pleasure, since both teams were out for a laugh and kept it that way.

When I was starting out some of the managers and more senior players were also a great help in giving feedback at the end of the game - one manager even told me at half-time in my second game to be harder on his players to stop them walking all over me!

At the other end of the scales there were the matches I would dread. Were the players would do all they could to intimidate you. Where you heard players threatening each other and each others' families.

There was one game where I had been warned that the two teams had some rather heated rivalry. It was 0-0 until the last minute when I gave a penalty. All hell broke loose - and you're on your own with 22 players and about 15 spectators, literally miles from anyone. Needless to say I got changed as quickly as I could after the game but the disgruntled home team did a runner without paying me. Luckily they didn't touch my car, which is what a lot of disgruntled teams target.

Oh, and the pay. Fantastic. About £10-£15 plus travelling expenses for your two hours of abuse.

Like I said, there were moments I really enjoyed it. But at the time I only saw my partner at the weekend on Saturday evenings and Sundays, and it got to a point where I'd be on a cold, wet and windy pitch at 9am on a Sunday morning, getting abuse and thinking "I could be having a lie-in with the missus".

Funnily enough when I packed it in the teams that were always ringing me up on a Saturday trying to get me to ref their game because they didn't have one were the worst ones :rolleyes:

The only way I could really see things improving for refs is if at the grassroots level they were able to operate as a team - a ref with at least two assistants. Most of the vicious moments I had were with contentious offside decisions, and with biased players running the lines. Plus it would be an added support net.

However, of course until the exodus of refs stops this will never be possible.

As for the programme, it was interesting and I think it should remind everyone that refs are human with a family. I didn't like Urs Meier's decision at the time but people went over the top. And what right did anyone have making Anders Frisk quit a job he loved and make death threats against him and his family?

The moment in the programme that he said "I made it my job to open the mail. No-one else in my family" was very poignant.

However, I would have like to see it made 15 minutes longer with a larger focus on the grassroots refs so that people could see what it is like for young refs being 'thrown to the wolves', so to speak.

The only way I could really see things improving for refs is if at the grassroots level they were able to operate as a team - a ref with at least two assistants. Most of the vicious moments I had were with contentious offside decisions, and with biased players running the lines. Plus it would be an added support net.

Thanks MIB, and an interesting read.

I agree with the quote above wholeheartedly, I was playing on Sunday where after a beautifully threaded pass through to the striker in the 74th minute, I looked up to see the "linesman" (A scroat from the other team) stood leaning on the goalpost chatting to his mate the goalkeeper.

He then flagged offside.

I was outraged that the referee agreed and did give it planty of verbal. The fact that sunday league football is not treated properly is a problem

The only problem I can see is that if a ref gets paid £15 add to that two assistants, you are talking about £45 - £50 club costs to officiate a match.

Overall, I have thought about a bit of refereeing myself but it must be intimidating, especially for pub team football where 22 players are intent on kicking lumps out of each other.

Thought the program was good, but for me I wish they had spent more time with the scottish ref with the Mic - found that very interesting!

Thanks MIB, and an interesting read.

I agree with the quote above wholeheartedly, I was playing on Sunday where after a beautifully threaded pass through to the striker in the 74th minute, I looked up to see the "linesman" (A scroat from the other team) stood leaning on the goalpost chatting to his mate the goalkeeper.

He then flagged offside.

I was outraged that the referee agreed and did give it planty of verbal. The fact that sunday league football is not treated properly is a problem

Funnily enough I got a lot of stick at times for ignoring the linesman - normally because they would flag a ridiculous offside or the player was in no way 'interfering' (e.g. they were on the opposite side of the field to the ball and running back to the half way line).

I would signal that I had seen the flag but that I was carrying on and would then get plenty of abuse from him and the players for ignoring him.

The only problem I can see is that if a ref gets paid £15 add to that two assistants, you are talking about £45 - £50 club costs to officiate a match.

True, but I suppose as well that maybe we could argue that the home team should be willing to stump up a tenner a player - about a fiver to the ref team and a fiver towards the pitch. Included in this proposal is councils reducing the cost of hiring leisure spaces so that the whole country got more involved and fit.... yes, I too can see that pig flying...

Overall, I have thought about a bit of refereeing myself but it must be intimidating, especially for pub team football where 22 players are intent on kicking lumps out of each other.

And don't forget that they're normally hungover from the Saturday night and an extra bit grumpy because of that :laugh:

I would say that if you're interested go for it - you'll gain A LOT from the training, especially insight into the laws, which many players lack ;)

You can do just the first level of training if you're only interested in the laws of the game and not interested in progressing further as a ref.

If you do become a ref it will give you many 'interesting' stories to relate as well :)

Thought the program was good, but for me I wish they had spent more time with the scottish ref with the Mic - found that very interesting!

True, I thought the same - especially considering the big deal they made of it at the start of the programme. I suppose they might have been asked not to show too much due to the effect it could have on the SPL?

And what right did anyone have making Anders Frisk quit a job he loved and make death threats against him and his family?

Something to do with Jose I believe? :whistle:

Couldn't do it myself. No way man. It would need a massive fundamental change in human nature.

I used to play a bit of Rugby actually. Can't remember the Ref's getting that much abuse. We'd actually mingle and go drinking with the ref and opposition as well at times. The emphasis was on enjoyment and doing ones best.

I heard the Scottish Rugby player Scott Murray saying 'sorry sir' just after being sent off for understandable retaliation a few weeks ago, but then there's a bit of respect and discipline in Rugby isn't there?

'Hardness' is proved through legitemate play, not throwing handbags, hearling verbal abuse at the officials and rolling all over the place as soon as someone makes the slightest bit of contact with you. This is a rather one sided view on it I realise, sly little jabs etc do take place, also when punch ups do kick off they are genuine punch ups, not just little overpaid punks losing their cool with each other.

Generally a far prouder culture imo.

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Swing low, sweet chariot, coming forth to carry me home....

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Archived