Now that I’m sadly heading back to Blighty, I’m happy to share some of my football encounters from the hotel. (I’ll leave out the numerous dreadful reality tv people here...!)
I mentioned on another thread that at the start of the week I’d met three current city players in Kalas, Bentley and O’Dowda. I managed to have good chats with the first two and very brief with O’Dowda. By far the happiest to chat and most open was Bentley.
A few of the highlights from bents were;
- No transfer in the pipeline and the links on Twitter are just nonsense....flattering, but nonsense.
- Really likes Bristol and is totally bought into the club with what we’re trying to achieve. Did mention how great the facilities are now etc. But wants to move forward as a club now, not just have potential. Really didn’t get the impression he would leave unless it was a ridiculous offer, plus the number one spot.
- spoke really highly of Massengo. Thinks he’s a top talent and will have a big season next year.
- Asked who he thought the best player at City was, but really struggled (not surprising considering the season we’ve had!!) eventually settled on Kalas.
- Spoke about the players OOC and asked if it’s distracting to the team etc. Knowing players are running down deals. He said it’s not like that in the dressing room and it’s more just sad when mates move on - they just get on with playing.
- On Pearson, he said he loves his straight forward approach and the players are totally bought into what he wants to do with the team. Also a positive word on Lansdown and everything he does for the club.
So after meeting these guys, a number of players form other teams have been arriving, most notably yesterday was one Gary Cahill. Turns out he’s not ready to leave the Prem and come to the West Country!
And finally, this morning, the wife points out a guy at breakfast saying he must be close to seven foot. It’s only bloody Flinty (and Marlon Pack, but he was not there for the first moment of excitement!) Sadly the wife has no idea why this has topped them all for me. I’ve sent her to google Flint, Hat-trick, Walsall. Hopefully that will do the trick.