IGNORED

Nicky Maynard

DavidNoble

I feel that he has been a slight waste of money in comparison to what we could be getting,Martin Paterson at Burnley was an astute signing and has already found the net on several occasions this season with a proven record in the Championship last season with struggling S****horpe.

What are your views on Maynard ?

I know he hasnt had alot of service but now 10 or so games into the season I am questioning the signing.

:englandsmile4wf:

I feel that he has been a slight waste of money in comparison to what we could be getting,Martin Paterson at Burnley was an astute signing and has already found the net on several occasions this season with a proven record in the Championship last season with struggling S****horpe.

I know he hasnt had alot of service but now 10 or so games into the season I am questioning the signing.

Not this again

No Service, No Goals.

Just look on youtube of his goals at Crewe and you can see why he hasn't been scoring for us.

Not this again

No Service, No Goals.

Just look on youtube of his goals at Crewe and you can see why he hasn't been scoring for us.

Exactly, all his crewe goals were set up on a plate for him, if people on here have said it once they must have said it a billion times we need to play to HIS strengths.

I don't re-call one ball being slide threw to Maynard so far this season hence the reason we havnt seen his pace. Its all well and good going out and buying a fox in the box but you need to set goals up for these types of players. The midfield needs to be more creative and I'm positive Maynard will score tons of goals for us.

I think every one just needs to stick with him as I'm sure he will come good.

I don't re-call one ball being slide threw to Maynard so far this season hence the reason we havnt seen his pace.

Trundle slid two in to him on the weekend. Neither amounted to anything.

That said, I have put it down to shock on Maynard's part on this occasion.

Nice one ben :D

IF he gets a run in the team, and City play to his strengths, i don't think you'll be be questioning Maynard anymore by Christmas.

Maynard will still be City's top scorer this season by a distance. :yes:

IF he gets a run in the team, and City play to his strengths, i don't think you'll be be questioning Maynard anymore by Christmas.

Maynard will still be City's top scorer this season by a distance. :yes:

In your opinion maybe, but in mine Mr Brooker will double Mr M`s tally even if he only plays half as many times as him. :noexpression: :yes:

Lets face it, facts are; he wasnt first or second signing choice, was he?

In your opinion maybe, but in mine Mr Brooker will double Mr M`s tally even if he only plays half as many times as him. :noexpression: :yes:

Lets face it facts are he wasnt first or second signing choice, was he?

Ive givin up on Brooks I'm afraid, i always use to defend him when people said he was rubish to injury prone etc but i really think he is a waste of time. The guy seems to just be one of those injury prone players that never ever seems to get fit, hes a bit like Kieron Dyer great potential but wayy to injury prone.

I would pick Maynrad all day long instead of Brooks, I'm sorry i love Brooker but he needs to sort his injury problems quickly otherwise i fear this could be his last season at the club.

If Maynard gets on a run of scoring and finds a long term strike partner (either Dele or Trundle) i think he could become unstoppable at this level.

I don't know if it's been mentioned before but I fancy seeing Maynard on the right, similar to the Theo Walcott role, he's got bags of pace and if Trundle is playing up front I can see Trundle playing him in for goal scoring positions.

Anybody agree or am I talking out of my Arse again?? :innocent06:

I don't know if it's been mentioned before but I fancy seeing Maynard on the right, similar to the Theo Walcott role, he's got bags of pace and if Trundle is playing up front I can see Trundle playing him in for goal scoring positions.

Anybody agree or am I talking out of my Arse again?? :innocent06:

Yeah i can see the thinking

But at the end of the day in his career so far hes scored goals regularly (in league one ;) ) as a striker.

But maybe akinde on the right i think he can play as a winger?

Lets face it, facts are; he wasnt first or second signing choice, was he?

I don't think Brooker's goalscoring history, combined with the fact it isconfined mainly to the lower divisions, backs up your confidence that he could outscore Maynard in the Championship.

Brooker has a brawny style that was effective in Div.1 but he was never a prolific scorer. Both strikers, of course, are as yet completely unproved at Championship level, but I see Maynard as a more natural goalscorer than Brooker with a better record who will score more goals at this level.

The way I understood it Maynard was the first striker City enquired about but City thought him overpriced so then explored other avenues in Meteb and Mifsud before eventually going full circle to their first choice and agreeing to Crewe's valuation.

I don't think Brooker's goalscoring history, combined with the fact it isconfined mainly to the lower divisions, backs up your confidence that he could outscore Maynard in the Championship.

Brooker has a brawny style that was effective in Div.1 but he was never a prolific scorer. Both strikers, of course, are as yet completely unproved at Championship level, but I see Maynard as a more natural goalscorer than Brooker with a better record who will score more goals at this level.

The way I understood it Maynard was the first striker City enquired about but City thought him overpriced so then explored other avenues in Meteb and Mifsud before eventually going full circle to their first choice and agreeing to Crewe's valuation.

Johnson said that maynard was always there first choice

whether he actually was we don't really know, but IMO i think Meteb was the name about from City (offers etc ) and media before anything to do with maynard.

Just wondering whether you were thinking the same thing after Trundles 1st 10 games.

Give the kid a chance for christs sake.

PDG

He has been a waste of money if you judge him now. Luckily people don't tend to be that reactionary. I think if we continue to misuse the player he will be a waste of money. I think he has easily the "quality" to succeed at this level.

He was number 1 choice..but not at the price we paid. He became number whatever choice at the current price because we failed to get better value elsewhere.

Is there any truth in the thinking that "if you don't go looking for the ball it won't come to you"?

Not being funny, but, I have watched his movement when the ball has been around the midifeld and it is hardly workmanlike and certainly not showing for the ball. A few 20 yard runs along the line may help?

Kind of reminds me of watching really young kids play. He seems to stand by the defender as opposed to trying to move away.

Put it this way, is it luck or good movement that Lita seemed to see a lot of the ball? Not saying he done a lot with it, but, he was involved in a lot of play in the attacking half.

Put it this way, is it luck or good movement that Lita seemed to see a lot of the ball? Not saying he done a lot with it, but, he was involved in a lot of play in the attacking half.

They're different players in different leagues.

Lita's pace alone got him scores of chances. In this league you need more than just pace as countless players have found out. Lita without his pace as seen on Saturday looked less than great.

Maynard's strengths are different IMO. We seemed confused about our striking recruitment over the summer. First two options Maynard, Meteb were finishers while Mifsud does alot more but doesn't have the same goal threat. For Maynard to be effective he needs chances and his major strength is finishing. Which is why i'll contend he's been out of form since arriving. He's been missing chances. He's been put through and missed, and then there was that header against Blackpool...

We need to create more chances for him but we're not good enough everywhere else to carry a goal scorer IMO or he needs to be 100% clinical. He "should" be on 4 goals in the league and i don't think that would be a bad start. Btu he's missed his opportunities for whatever reason.

I'm sorry, but alot of people on here seem to rate him on his record at crewe and the reputation that came with it, NOT with what they have seen with their own 2 eyes! Its ridiculous!!!

I've seen him play a couple of times for crewe in which he didn't stand out and 7 times for city (all home league and wolves away)

From what i have SEEN he has a very poor first touch, is NOT particularly quick (don't know why everyone harps on about his pace) and gets bullied off the ball alot. His record for Crewe counts for nothing. For city it has not been good....

Now i'm not writing him off, far from it. I want every city player to do well and i am fully behind him when he is on the pitch. I do see some good things in his game. He seems to have a very good, accurate shot and decent movement at times but for people to say he is and will be great are, for me doing so on previous records and reputation NOT merit.

It's no good saying we are not playing to his strengths, this that and the other. Surely in the 10+ games he has played for us he has recieved 1 or 2 decent passes or through balls? I say he is not playing to the teams strength and is not used to playing what we have been successful with for 2 and a half years.

On the showings i have seen, he will struggle to justify the record fee we paid. I REALLY REALLY hope he proves me wrong. I hope i'm left with a HUGE amount of egg on my face.

From what i have heard from many city fans i have had the pleasure to chat with is that i am not alone in this opinion.

I'm sure this post will be another mocked and ridiculed but i am giving my opinion based on what i have seen so far,... and so far, he aint up to it!

Archived