IGNORED

Maynard Vs Reading

DavidNoble

Ineffective.

I felt he was poor and didnt cause any trouble for the experienced back four of Reading.

Should Johnson let him out on loan for a month or two, get some goals and bring him straight back in like a fresh start.As IMO Akinde looks more lively to get a goal than maynard.

Thoughts ? :englandsmile4wf:

Tough one this, I have not been impressed with what I have seen from our summer signing but then in fairness to the kid we have not at any stage this season played to his strengths or created decent openings for him, to loan out a £2.25M signing seems madness but today I thought the same thing, but then thought he needs to get match play in this league under his belt in this league but hardly going to be a queue for him form our rivals, for me 20-30 mins of the bench each week and some extra time in the gym on the weights, maybe better than 90 mins a week in League one! I think season 2 will prove to be better for him! I see him as one for the future however if you are spending £2.25m surely you expect someone who can make and immediate impact at this level.

Today was the first day that I thought if we are not going to play to his style then why have we signed him, and is this GJ biggest mistake to date!!!

I agree with you really although i feel, football these days you have to buy players for now not for a couple of years ahead. Thats where I think the problem is for Maynard as he just doesnt look like scoring consistently like a top striker at all this season.

We could always send him to Cheltenham :innocent06:

Also he DEFINITLY NEEDS SOME EXTRA TIME IN THE GYM to compete in this league!!

Ineffective.

I felt he was poor and didnt cause any trouble for the experienced back four of Reading.

Should Johnson let him out on loan for a month or two, get some goals and bring him straight back in like a fresh start.As IMO Akinde looks more lively to get a goal than maynard.

Thoughts ? :englandsmile4wf:

Sadly for Maynard, Johnson and lansdown, Nicky looks all at sea in this league, we keep hearing about service but stern John looks a quality signing and Akinde at £150K looks a real good prospect,

I am gutted that maynard has not performed , but he has looked like a youth team player, Verdict (dosnt look good enough)

Blimey £2.25M what is that about...........akinde £150K............you do the maths, Loan him out I say and lets hope he either scores goals and comes back to us in form or scores goals on loan and we can get some of our money back.......

some prem players please GJ

maynard made 4 or 5 runs looking to get behind their defence in the first half but the midfield failed to just slip the ball in behind the defence for him. the one that sticks out the most was when mcindoe just kept dribbling when maynard was pointing and running exactly were he wanted it but mcindoe just ran inside as usual. he scored all of his goals for crewe like this and we don't play to his strengths. at this rate he'll end up being sold to someone for a million in 18 months or so and be scoring goals in a much worse side and people will be saying he's a different player when infact he's just doing what he did for us just with the SERVICE he needs from the midfield

maynard made 4 or 5 runs looking to get behind their defence in the first half but the midfield failed to just slip the ball in behind the defence for him. the one that sticks out the most was when mcindoe just kept dribbling when maynard was pointing and running exactly were he wanted it but mcindoe just ran inside as usual. he scored all of his goals for crewe like this and we don't play to his strengths. at this rate he'll end up being sold to someone for a million in 18 months or so and be scoring goals in a much worse side and people will be saying he's a different player when infact he's just doing what he did for us just with the SERVICE he needs from the midfield

spot on mate

I think this excuse has lost any impact for me, stern john and John akinde have looked much better than maynard, he has no first touch and isnt outstandingly quick, he has to make is own luck and service is now just an excuse for a lad that clealy looks way out of his depth......

I think this excuse has lost any impact for me, stern john and John akinde have looked much better than maynard, he has no first touch and isnt outstandingly quick, he has to make is own luck and service is now just an excuse for a lad that clealy looks way out of his depth......

I agree completly,the 'Service' is excuse just cant be used anymore Stern John has played at City just like Maynard and John is obviously miles ahead of Maynard in quality, brilliant for Crewe.

But unfortunatly he, i hate to say it , has been useless here IMO.

Cant say i agree on this one. Maynard looks slow, lightweight and totally out of his depth. Its like watching a 16 year old boy against men when he plays. Bollox about all this service excuse. HE HAS HAD SERVICE, but he has not taken his opportunities.

Not sure why people think he scored loads of goals for crewe either because he didnt and if you speak to any crewe fans, they were laughing when he was sold for £2 million.

Cant say i agree on this one. Maynard looks slow, lightweight and totally out of his depth. Its like watching a 16 year old boy against men when he plays. Bollox about all this service excuse. HE HAS HAD SERVICE, but he has not taken his opportunities.

Not sure why people think he scored loads of goals for crewe either because he didnt and if you speak to any crewe fans, they were laughing when he was sold for £2 million.

it isnt the service he needs though isit. he doesn't need the ball lumped to his head, he needs to play on the shoulder of the last man and make runs which he does and he will score. the problem is GJ wants all players to work for the team but maynard should just play on the shoulder instead of coming back to pick up the ball from defence and midfield inside his own half.

and as for stern john and akinde they are different types of players who play with their back to goal unlike maynard. they are more of target men wereas maynard is a player who is a poacher. his goal against derby was this his hatrick against antwerp 2 were one on ones and the other a simple tap in

We lack supply - simple as.

The way we're playing we may as well have Byfield out there.

When was the last time a winger went down the line got to the byline and put a decent ball in?

b***ocks, he was played in on Tues and did nothing. Twice today and he just fell over.

It seems this level is a step too far for the lad, which is a shame given the promise he showed at L1.

it isnt the service he needs though isit. he doesn't need the ball lumped to his head, he needs to play on the shoulder of the last man and make runs which he does and he will score. the problem is GJ wants all players to work for the team but maynard should just play on the shoulder instead of coming back to pick up the ball from defence and midfield inside his own half.

and as for stern john and akinde they are different types of players who play with their back to goal unlike maynard. they are more of target men wereas maynard is a player who is a poacher. his goal against derby was this his hatrick against antwerp 2 were one on ones and the other a simple tap in

By all means put maynard in your City team.I hope you don't mind but I would ship him out..........or would you like to buy maynard off me....hes cheap £2.25m..........any takers......... :disapointed2se:

b***ocks, he was played in on Tues and did nothing. Twice today and he just fell over.

It seems this level is a step too far for the lad, which is a shame given the promise he showed at L1.

yeah, it did nothing apart from get a very good save from the keeper.

does that apply to the other non-scoring forwards as well? none of them are scoring goals, because none of them are getting service

umm, the stats state otherwise?

52 games, 32 goals speaks for itself.......quality goal scorer record.

On tuesday the one chance he had he made Kenny pull off a good save.

Today who created anything? Trundle did more in the 20 minutes he was on than the whole midfield did for 70 minutes (don't turn this into a LJ moan, because it was all the midfield!!!!). Maynard is not going to beat 4 men and slide it past the keeper he (as all strikers) needs supply from the flanks. Something we're simply not doing, and haven't for many a year. When was the last time we had two wingers willing to get to the by-line? Brown and Murray under Wilson I'ld say.

Honestly we compare strikers together as if they all thrive on the same service, Some of the the put downs in this thread are laughable.

Maynard needs the ball in behind, to compare Maynard to Stern John shows a lack of understanding of even the basics of the game.

You have people on this thread slagging of the midfield in other threads and now blaming the forwards.

Maynard given the RIGHT service will score goals he needs a bit of an arm around the shoulder accepted but to say he cant cut it at this level is quite simply a joke!

I can't seriously believe people are writing him off already. Comparison's to Trundle/John are unfair as they both have experience in this league and experience of professional football as a whole.

Nicky is 21 and i'm hugely confident he will come good for his...give him a break!

Honestly we compare strikers together as if they all thrive on the same service, Some of the the put downs in this thread are laughable.

Maynard needs the ball in behind, to compare Maynard to Stern John shows a lack of understanding of even the basics of the game.

You have people on this thread slagging of the midfield in other threads and now blaming the forwards.

Maynard given the RIGHT service will score goals he needs a bit of an arm around the shoulder accepted but to say he cant cut it at this level is quite simply a joke!

Spot on :yes:

If we were missing loads of chances blame the forwards but what did we create today?

spot on he needs balls on the floor BEHIND the defence for him to run onto

Two questions here.

First is Maynard getting the service or not? Answer obviously is not. He's a goalscorer, someone has to create chances for him , if he fails to take them then I feel we're free to criticise. Same argument with Trundle last season. My one observation with both is that neither had an extended run in the team and certainly not with a regular partner. It's well established that few forwards perform to their best without a partner that recognizes where they want the ball , where and when they'll make the run, and it becomes an intuitive thing betwwen the two. That's what gives them an edge over defenders. You don't have to be the best,but if you know what you're partner is going to do you're one step ahead.

Secondly, why doesn't Johnson recognize this? Spend this much money on players surely you build the team around them, play to their strengths . If not buy 15 Akindes and rotate them dependant on form. Must confess I'm beginning to wonder if we're starting to his his limitations as a manager. At the very least you have to question his judgement when it comes to his major moves in the transfer market, and if we do trust him to spend wisely then surely he has to trust his own judgement and give his big money signings a chance. I'm beginning to feel a Robbored coming on but I'm looking for a manager who can get the best out of our real talent because we don't have that much at the club.

oh so true

Exactly, he needs balls slide through in behimd the defence not lumped hoffe balls that only 6ft 7 strikers like Adebola can get too.

I still havnt actually seen a ball slide through to Maynard since he has been here :noexpression:

He has been poor so far, but youth is on his side, and I think he will come good. I have to agree with the service issue, if he was in the reading side today he would have looked a totally different player.

I was thinking the same thing also, why do people think Kevin Doyle has scored so many this season?

Its beacsue Reading play with two wingers that can actually provide good service, Hunt on one side who always seems to get to the by line and deliver crosses, and also Kebe on the other wing that also can deliver good balls in.

If you look at a lot of Nickys goals for Crewe they came from inteligent wing play, Mcindoe and Sproule really arnt providing any kind of service and its no wonder Maynard has only scored 2.

Archived