IGNORED

Lee Trundle

DavidNoble

If you think this team are suffering you must be new, have a very short memory, or have very high standards.

GJ has taking us to heights that i would have only dreamt about 3 years ago i am gratefull for what he has done , however what other reason do you see for Trundle being kept out of the team on saturday?

Exactly there is none and its not the first time a player has mysteriously been left out. Johnson has done a fantastic job here however he is not God and there are lots of things he does that are questionable.

GJ has taking us to heights that i would have only dreamt about 3 years ago i am gratefull for what he has done , however what other reason do you see for Trundle being kept out of the team on saturday?

Exactly there is none and its not the first time a player has mysteriously been left out. Johnson has done a fantastic job here however he is not God and there are lots of things he does that are questionable.

I agree, maybe last year these arguments were ended quickly because we were doing so well they wanted to be involved but this year as we are lacking and not playing that well maybe some don't care.

Can't blame Trundle for being shocked at being left out totally on Saturday.

I was, personally I find it astonishing that since his impressive performance against Reading, he's not played a single minute, yet other players who were terrible in that game have been given 2nd and even 3rd chances and still not impressed.

But as Johnson said, he doesn't always pick players on form, but on what they have done in the past???..... :dunno:

Can't blame Trundle for being shocked at being left out totally on Saturday.

I was, personally I find it astonishing that since his impressive performance against Reading, he's not played a single minute, yet other players who were terrible in that game have been given 2nd and even 3rd chances and still not impressed.

But as Johnson said, he doesn't always pick players on form, but on what they have done in the past???..... :dunno:

His loyalty to his players is admirable but ultimately will cost him.

Even Man u will move players on, even after winning the league. There can be no sentiment in football.

Oh dear.. have we seen LT in a red shirt for the last time?

Unfortunatly i think we have. And when he leaves GJ will come out and say 'He wasn't training well, wasn't the player we thought he was, wasn't fit, was a disruption and didn't help team spirit'. To which everyone on here will reply, good, glad he got rid of him, don't need that kind of person in the squad...blah blah blah.

Clear to me his face just doesn't fit here, which is a shame because he seems like a very likeable guy, with undoubted talent, and having spoke to a member of the 1st team squad recently he is a very popular member of the squad.

I'm also hoping Lee Trundle stays but have a feeling he is being frozen out.

We were in the Williams stand on Saturday and asked Lee Trundle if he was injured and he said that the gaffer just decided to leave him out. We replied to say that he should have been at least on the bench.

Also, I don't agree with GJ's tactics of playing one up front in home games when we have six capable strikers (Adebola, Trundle, Maynard, Brooker, Akinde and Stern John).

Despite having a number of proven strikers we don't have a commanding creative midfielder to supply the special pass to unlock defences. This kind of player would compliment ME and it would mean that we would not have rely on five midfielders playing because the current four can't dicate games.

We have spent good money on strikers but have picked up our central midfielders for next to nothing and we wonder why we don't score goals.

We also badly need a pacy right winger who is prepared to take on defenders but not get frightened of getting tackled.

Finally, GJ for me takes the easy option with team selection by saying that the team did well last week so it remains unchanged.

Surely GJ should be looking at each game individually to decide tactics such as who we are playing, are we home or away, pitch conditions etc, then pick a side that's best suited for that game. And just because we beat the bottom team does not necessarily mean that the same side should automatically play the next week against a possible top team.

With our current squad and tactics I believe that we will finish around mid table but hopefully with a couple of new additions and better tactics we could make the play-offs.

Redthru

Trundle is a good player, when given space. Unfortunately, he has not really done the business for City, and does not offer value for money. It's pretty clear that we need to trim the wage bill before bringing in any more players, so it makes sense to get rid of the high earning bench-warmers. Hopefully, it will create chances for Akinde and Maynard who are players for the future.

Why do you say that Tom?

Do you mean that Trunds appears fed up or that GJ will put him further down the order for speaking his mind?

The later IMO maybe. It seems to me his confidence is absolutely ruined from not playing. A shadow of the chap we had towards the end of last season against Crystal Palace etc.

I guess none of us see him at training or know what his real attitude is in the dressing room.. we can speculate but the man who'll know best is the man who picks the XI each week.

There must be a way of accommodating the most skillful player at the club - LT. I'd like to see Trundle playing in the David Noble 'free role' if GJ chooses a 4-5-1 system with Noble playing on the left but swapping with LT throughout the match. They are the two most skilful players at the club. Trundle says he doen't like playing on the right and says he will always be a striker but he is prepared to do a job for the team. A free role without having to do the running back or at least sharing it with Noble would get the most out of him.

If we play 3-5-1 (a system I like if it means Noble starts) then is difficult for him to be played as the sole striker because he has yet to prove he can be a regular championship goal-scorer and he's not suited to that role either. Stern John is ideal for that position. So I'd like to see GJ play Trundle on the left or in Nobles role but not at the expense of Noble in the side. I'd also like to see Scott Murray recalled on the right in a 4-5-1 formation or start with WIlson and bring Scotty on and give him a good 40 minutes so he is on when the opposition is tiring. He would definitely add goals and spirit to the side. Sproule doesn't produce any consistency or goals and Williams is better suited to a central position.

I've nothing but admiration for GJ and even suggested he should be manager at the time Brian Tinnion was appointed. But one thing has slightly surprised me - the lack of goals and prolific strikers under his direction. I thought his trademark under Yeovil was to out-score the opposition and not worry too much if a few goals were shipped in the process. I'm pleasantly surprised at how solid his defence has been but a bit disappointed that the one area where he hasn't shown signs of inspiration is in the final third. I think he likes all 11 players to be work horses which may explain why no striker at City under GJ has looked being a 20 plus a season player.

Harry Rednapp showed at Spurs that it's not necessarily the strikers themselves who are the problem when a team isn't scoring. I think it is wide left and wide right with a lack of service to the strikers where the main problem lies. Murray, Noble and Trundle used in wide positions would mean the team loses a bit of pace but Mcindoe and Sproule haven't produced goals or chances so it's worth trying.

Team:-

Basso, Orr, Carey, McCombe, McAllister,

Murray Johnson Elliot Noble Trundle

John

Subs Fontaine, Maynard, Wilson , Adebola, Weale (there is a case for both Mcindoe being on the bench if he can take being dropped and Williams as well - but only as a central midfielder.)

Trundle is a good player, when given space. Unfortunately, he has not really done the business for City, and does not offer value for money. It's pretty clear that we need to trim the wage bill before bringing in any more players, so it makes sense to get rid of the high earning bench-warmers. Hopefully, it will create chances for Akinde and Maynard who are players for the future.

Agree - flashes of brilliance, but not enough pace to hurt the opposition at CCC level. Bluntly, I'd feel more confident that our back four could keep out Trunds than any number of the younger, quicker forwards they have come up against so far this season. Sadly, I think we will be lucky to get £300k for him in Jan.

When I saw he was dropped against Reading I have to admit I felt really disappointed in Gary for the first time, a strange feeling that I have not had before, I am sure we will be fine but I can not understand how Lee Trundle can not get near the team despite playing well when he has been on the pitch this season there is no doubt in my mind he will be off come January.

I think it's pretty clear that we can't have 3 thirty something strikers at the same time, which we will do if we sign Stern John permanently.

We also have to keep the wage bill sensible so I guess any sort of offer that takes LT off our hands will see him leave in January.

The Trundles and Nobles may lack pace but when they have the ball they what to do with it.

What I don't understand is why is we buy strikers for £2.5 and £1 million and they sit it out and yet we spend very little on players who provide the service to our strikers?

I was informed through a reliable source that LT is the highest paid player so maybe GJ wants him off the wage bill, however what was more interesting was that LJ was the next highest paid player.

Roll on Crystal Palace

Redthru

GJ must be pushing him out to free up some of the wage bill for John - very disappointed that he has never really been given a fair crack at it + after how he finished last season derserved to be 1st choice for at least a couple of games.

Thanks for helping get us to wembley and good luck in future

The Trundles and Nobles may lack pace but when they have the ball they what to do with it.

What I don't understand is why is we buy strikers for £2.5 and £1 million and they sit it out and yet we spend very little on players who provide the service to our strikers?

I was informed through a reliable source that LT is the highest paid player so maybe GJ wants him off the wage bill, however what was more interesting was that LJ was the next highest paid player.

Roll on Crystal Palace

Redthru

Along with the Carey to Rovers post, that has to be the funniest thing I have read today. Not sure which is the more believable though. :noexpression:

I'm also hoping Lee Trundle stays but have a feeling he is being frozen out.

Finally, GJ for me takes the easy option with team selection by saying that the team did well last week so it remains unchanged.

Surely GJ should be looking at each game individually to decide tactics such as who we are playing, are we home or away, pitch conditions etc, then pick a side that's best suited for that game. And just because we beat the bottom team does not necessarily mean that the same side should automatically play the next week against a possible top team.

totally agree with this, i can understand the point of "don't change an unchanged team" but to be honest, it's not always right decision, gary himself said prior to Southampton, that he had set up a system to counter Southampton's style of football, yet despite Forest being a totally different type of team, he plays the same team and tactics,

which I believe has cost us 2 point.

also the treatment of Trundle is disgusting.

Gary Johnson is the the Messiah, he's just another football manager who makes mistake, unfortunately more often than not recently,

Roll on Crystal Palace

Redthru

I agree with your other points, but the highlighted point is simply 100% not true on either count, you source is giving you duff info.

it is concerning, that we have spent around £4m on Sproule, Trundle and Maynard they he can't get the best of of them.

Archived