IGNORED

Lee Trundle

DavidNoble

Bye bye LT. Thank you for your minimal contribution across the 18 months you'll have been with us but unfortunately it wasn't nearly good enough and it's time for you to return to L1.

Oh and stop bleating about not being able to play in your favourite position and having to compromise.

Have you seen Wilson or Skuse come out and gripe about it? No, they've taken the chances they've been given and played themselves into (sometimes) form.

Bye bye LT. Thank you for your minimal contribution across the 18 months you'll have been with us but unfortunately it wasn't nearly good enough and it's time for you to return to L1.

Oh and stop bleating about not being able to play in your favourite position and having to compromise.

Have you seen Wilson or Skuse come out and gripe about it? No, they've taken the chances they've been given and played themselves into (sometimes) form.

Minimal contribution? are you serious?

Oh yes, I well remember the posts this time last year asking how much longer GJ was going to give Trundle and that he would stubbornly refuse to drop him because he'd paid £1m for him and would be unable to admit that LT just wasn't up to it.

Anyone know the meaning of fickle?

Well, all I can say is, with Trundle in the team I feel:

Excited

Hopeful

Entertained

On the edge of my seat

Sorry for the opposition that we've got him, they haven't

Proud to be a City fan. :D

But, with no Trundle in the team, or on the bench, or worse still possibly moving on, I feel:

Fed up

Frustrated

Less reason for that 'buzz' at the start of a match

Disappointed

Sorry for LT that he isn't getting the run he needs/merits

Sorry for us that we're not benefitting from his flair and talent

Resigned to duller games. :bored:

Guest ashtonyate

If you remember I said he could be one of the worst buys this club have made.If you take his transfer fee signing on fee and his wages you must be talking of 3 million pounds plus very poor value.

To me he looked to slow to make it in this division when we played Swansea the season we went up. Then at the risk of repeating myself we only got Trundle after Johnson tryed to sign player and was given the run around a bit like this season with Maynard.

Trundle was the last resourt and that was why we paid over the odds for him again like Maynard, in fairness to Lee he has improved his game and is a better player than when he came. Had he moved up 5 /6 year ago with a stronger team than City it may have worked for him.

As for Mcindoe I think he is fed up running around like a blue bum fly trying to support Adebola and the midfield at the same time

Given that he is the best performing manager for us in over thirty years, i don't think he deserves your 'Messiah my ar$e' comment. Unless of course you were happy consistently failing to get out of League One and when we did, ****1ng it up? He deserves his contract because he is building something special at this club and despite negativity from certain ungracious people he will achieve it.

That's the beauty of opinions isn't it.

I think GJ has proved to be a good manager, however, I currently see an ever changing team, over-priced signings (LT and NM), occasional poor signings (several strikers come and gone, Sproule indifferent, Webster etc. etc) and lacklustre performers being given countless chances.

Meanwhile, the likes of LT waits for his chance, comes in, does very little wrong and ends up in the wilderness. The majority of comments on here suggest he should be in the 16; he can't even get in the reserves (possibly or maybe probably because he dared to show some frustration - how dare he).

A manager is only as good as his last few results. I see a team struggling to reach form and a manager swapping personnel and formations and the bench in often bewildering style.

You and many like you state "he will achieve it". I wonder if, like the players you mention, he is struggling to adapt to the higher leagues and whether he actually will. Several failed strikers, negative formations at home games and obcure substitutes when games are already lost suggest "he may not achieve it". I predict two or three seasons of mid-table obscurity.

Time will tell. I truly hope I am wrong (just before the saddo brigade come out with the standard go to the Mem then type responses).

BTW, look carefully around the forum. Lots of people posting "negativity" about several aspects on the playing front. History proves only 1 person ultimately carries the can for that. Only difference between me and them is I am writing down where the problem may lie as they are too $hit scared too admit that the "messiah" may be human.

Given that he is the best performing manager for us in over thirty years, i don't think he deserves your 'Messiah my ar$e' comment. Unless of course you were happy consistently failing to get out of League One and when we did, ****1ng it up? He deserves his contract because he is building something special at this club and despite negativity from certain ungracious people he will achieve it.

yes, he's got us promoted, HOWEVER personally speaking.

No one in football should get a 5 year contract in modern times, football is a fickle business and I'd be surpised if Gary is here in 5 years anyway, whether that's because he's been succesful or un-succesful no one knows.

Its a shame to see him not in your team because given a long run in the team he will def come good and get you goals! He will always be a legend down with us and i hope that maybe he will be back with us in Jan even if its on loan.Perhaps him not being in the squad has something to do with the tussle he had with LJ in training when he 1st joined the club??

Guest ashtonyate
True.

But if he hammers every player when he's signed (i remember him doing it with the likes of Noble and McCombe as well) then then at some point he's bound to be right.

I remember saying about signing Noble coming.. from a club who were in a lower league than us and near the bottom but I don't think I ever said any thing about Mccombe.

To be fair Noble has never held down a permanent place in the team he get injured to much for that or lose form and gets dropped. I could see him on his way when his contracted is up

Guest ashtonyate
Its a shame to see him not in your team because given a long run in the team he will def come good and get you goals! He will always be a legend down with us and i hope that maybe he will be back with us in Jan even if its on loan.Perhaps him not being in the squad has something to do with the tussle he had with LJ in training when he 1st joined the club??

You have really done poorly since he has come to us got promoted and in the top half of the league he may be god in Swansea but I bet he would not get into your team now he is yesterdays hero.

That's the beauty of opinions isn't it.

I think GJ has proved to be a good manager, however, I currently see an ever changing team, over-priced signings (LT and NM), occasional poor signings (several strikers come and gone, Sproule indifferent, Webster etc. etc) and lacklustre performers being given countless chances.

Meanwhile, the likes of LT waits for his chance, comes in, does very little wrong and ends up in the wilderness. The majority of comments on here suggest he should be in the 16; he can't even get in the reserves (possibly or maybe probably because he dared to show some frustration - how dare he).

A manager is only as good as his last few results. I see a team struggling to reach form and a manager swapping personnel and formations and the bench in often bewildering style.

You and many like you state "he will achieve it". I wonder if, like the players you mention, he is struggling to adapt to the higher leagues and whether he actually will. Several failed strikers, negative formations at home games and obcure substitutes when games are already lost suggest "he may not achieve it". I predict two or three seasons of mid-table obscurity.

Time will tell. I truly hope I am wrong (just before the saddo brigade come out with the standard go to the Mem then type responses).

BTW, look carefully around the forum. Lots of people posting "negativity" about several aspects on the playing front. History proves only 1 person ultimately carries the can for that. Only difference between me and them is I am writing down where the problem may lie as they are too $hit scared too admit that the "messiah" may be human.

LT has his chances and takes them, but then dies away when he starts to get a run in the team. I think the blinkers are on for him at the moment and that he can be the answer to our problems, when he is a very short term answer at various stages of a season. We can call his signing a failure, but if you never try you never know. Maynard will come good and needs a period of time to adjust to this level. He hasn't done that yet but he is too good and too dertermined, from what i've seen, to see failure as an option. Patience is the key.

It's far too easy to focus on what you may consider failed signings, but that is the law of averages in football. EVERY manager has signings that he hopes will work and they don't. You only have to look at the turnover of players at the top clubs that don't quite cut the mustard to see that the top managers sign the odd dud. Johnson is no different, but we are hardly talking about a lot of players that he's got wrong now, are we? And i personally don't think that, if you're referring to Saturday's formation, that we employ negative tactics at home. Playing 4-5-1 at home is essentially playing 4-3-3 when you consider how far forward Williams and Noble were getting and prior to conceding the first goal, it was working very well as we put them under pressure on the edge of their own box. Not really negative, is it?

If you consider that the manager is only as good as his last results, you would no doubt considered that twice European Champion, thirteen time Premier League winner and five time FA Cup winner Sir Alex Ferguson to be pretty rubbish as Man United langusihed in the bottom three. Not really very fair i don't think.

Am i the only one that fully understands why GJ changes the team and makes the substitutions he does? I played to a pretty high level, so maybe this helps? The 'Messiah' is human and will not get everything right, but he will get most things right and he is doing a bloody good job with what is essentially a League One side without millions, that other teams have, to strengthen. We need to be realistic about what this man is doing for us and where he can take us and seriously think about where we were three years ago when he took over and what we are currently expending energy moaning about. Eighth in the Championship and perfectly poised to move on. Disastrous? That's a matter of opinion?

It is a shame it hasn't worked out for him but he didn't really do much in his time here except a few flashes of brilliance.

The rest of the time he was too slow on the ball, held on to it for too long before losing it and was annoymous for large periods of games. I think League 1 is his place to be honest and best of luck to him.

yes, he's got us promoted, HOWEVER personally speaking.

No one in football should get a 5 year contract in modern times, football is a fickle business and I'd be surpised if Gary is here in 5 years anyway, whether that's because he's been succesful or un-succesful no one knows.

I think the length of contract reflects his achievements to date and also reflects how highly he is considered in football circles. Can you recall so many plaudits being offered to any other City manager in recent history? I can't and that is because we have ourselves a damn good manager who wants to build a team and a club that is an extablished Premier League team, whether that be this year (still possible) next year or the year after. You are essentially criticising the club for bringing stability to the club and recognising we have a good manager that deserves longevity in his attempts to bring sucess to the club, IMO.

I personally will be very surprised if he isn't here in 5 years time and beyond. Rose tinted? Possibly, but i think the guy is the best thing to happen to this club in years and my comments reflect that.

and doesn't like fans with the same

It really does seem to hit a nerve with you doesn't it. It's ok for you to comment on his style, team selection, individual players, tactics etc etc, under the banner of free speech and the fact this is a forum. But when GJ comments on the support the team may or may not get you cry foul - you can't have it both ways.

I may be wrong, but I haven't seen anyone comment on GJ's assertion after saturday's game that the supporters were "magnificent". Perhaps that doesn't fit the agenda?

The amount of times I see City live isn't up for debate here. :tumbleweed:

I take that as meaning not many, perhaps not surprising considering your location. No doubt you get to those you can. Watching a few highlights is one thing, but doesn't give the full picture of a match or an individuals' contribution to it by any means.

Watching full games obviously gives me an advantage over you when it comes to discussing the contribution of a particular player over 90 minutes. That's not knocking you in any way for contributing your opinion from a position of exile - good for you for maintaining an interest - it's just an indisputable fact.

Show me the stats on LT's influence on games over the past season and bit to back up your claims he deserves his place in the team i.e goals, assists etc.......please!

[b I don't need statistics when I can use the evidence of my own eyes. If 'influence on the game' was based purely on statistics none of our forwards would be worthy of a place. Trundle always livens up the crowd and spurs the team into a forward momentum when he comes on, whether he scores or creates a goal in that particular game or not.

Trundle is destined to divide opinion but being honest i don't find him entertaining enough for me to champion his cause.

He is not good at the simple things, yes he has scored mayb 4 or 5 good goals but hes only got about 10 in total (if that) in the league and has had numerous chances. I agree it seemed harsh to drop him completly for the Forest game, but Stern John was back fit again.

His comments on his blog are interesting, and hopefully wil put to bed any1 who his calling for him to replace Mcindoe as Trunds has said he doesnt wna play left wing. He doesnt hold the ball up well enough to be the main guy upfront. For me John, Adebola, Brooker are all ahead of him for me. Maynard currently on a par with him and i cant comment on Akinde as i havnt seen him.

There is a bit of a Lee Trundle brigade on this forum (which is fair enuf) but players cant be picked purely on entertainment. Look at Man City currently, got tricks, flicks but cant defend to save their lives. If Trundle could just do the simple things like holding the ball up, laying off a simple pass instead of doing a trick and failing for the 5th time running he would be in my starting 11. Until i see a change, my opinion wont either.

As for someone who compared how they feel with Trundle in and then out the team my response is simple

With Trundle in the team

If Trundle has his one in every 20 good game we'l win

Without Trundle

We will win if everyone does their jobs

Hmm LT's best performances this season have been when he has played out of position, Why does he play better out on the wing than he does up front? Maybe it may have something to do with the service he gets whilst up front, Whilst when he is out on the wing the service to him is much better and he creates stuff for himself. The problem at this club isn't the strikers it's the god damn lack of service or the long balls forward to them.

Hmm LT's best performances this season have been when he has played out of position, Why does he play better out on the wing than he does up front? Maybe it may have something to do with the service he gets whilst up front, Whilst when he is out on the wing the service to him is much better and he creates stuff for himself. The problem at this club isn't the strikers it's the god damn lack of service or the long balls forward to them.

Totally agree

It really does seem to hit a nerve with you doesn't it. It's ok for you to comment on his style, team selection, individual players, tactics etc etc, under the banner of free speech and the fact this is a forum. But when GJ comments on the support the team may or may not get you cry foul - you can't have it both ways.

I may be wrong, but I haven't seen anyone comment on GJ's assertion after saturday's game that the supporters were "magnificent". Perhaps that doesn't fit the agenda?

'Do as i say but not as i do' is the phrase that fits this situation best me thinks. You have hit the nail squarely on the head and GJ has as much right to try and get the fans pulling in the same direction as the fans do to criticise the manager.

For me part of the problem at the moment is that in a way we are spoilt for choice with strikers - imagine a few years back if we could perm 2 from Trundle, John, Adebola, Maynard, Akinde & Brooker (when fit). With so many options to choose from & no-one nailing down their place (Dele is the most consistent performer but hever has been/will be prolific) it's easy to keep chopping & changing - so no partnerships get chance to develop.

Of the 6 strikers it's hard to gauge who is 1st choice & in a funny way i think it might be better if we had less options so we had to give a combo the chance to gel & really work together as at the moment they get a couple of games & then get dropped.

Minimal contribution? are you serious?

Deadly so. He was an influence in two play-off games and then this season against Plymouth when we were 2-0 and they were sitting with 11 players in their own box.

Last season his goals:game ratio was very, very poor. I've posted about it before but IIRC it's lower than Enoch?

He cannot play up front as a partner for someone in a 4-4-2. He cannot play on the left/right wing (as he'll complain, being one reason) but mainly because he cannot track back and defend well enough. If, and only if, we went for an attacking 4-5-1 option where he does tuck up and make it into 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 when we go forward it can work but only if there are no defensive responsibilities. He coasts through most games with a little chase here or there and then plays up to the crowd when he does something and gets more ego-stroking as a result.

I'd have him on the bench as an impact sub for situations like the Plymouth game (or maybe even last Sat) but otherwise he's not capable of doing it.

Archived