IGNORED

`not Just From A Different Country But Today A Different Planet....'

balhambcfc

Oh for a player of Dziekanowski's skill now. Remember that game, it was when Leicester were a good side too.

Ivan Sproule a modern day Junior Bent, the pace of a racehorse and the skills of a carthorse.

Still, at least Junior would always get past the fullback.

Check out Andy Leaning's second half save - great stop...but sure that was a back pass in the first half :P

But most amazing of all is Rob Edwards - still playing today, I think at Exeter. Perhaps not as amusing as Rob Newman's appearances last season (?) for Bournemouth but funny all the same.

What i would give to have Jacki here now.

Oh and do you think Jacki would have passed the Johnson interview?

Dennis Smiths comments were interesting the other day. Basically said Jacki would be on the lash all week, but still turn up on time for training - so does that mean he would pass the GJ test? - turns up on time but pished as a fart?

Bent was a LOT better than sproule.

Bent, like Jacki, was incredibly infuriating.

Crossing similar to Sproule's (i.e. not good), but the bugger would wait on the half way line,back to goal, waiting for Llewellyn to pass the ball to feet.

His anticipation was ZERO. Never looked to make a run, just waited on the half way line with the LB 20 yards behind him.

AND apart from that Leicester game hardly ever got past his man.

At least Sproule would look for balls played over the top to run onto - something Bent never did.

:city: Thanks for that,I was there that day and had almost forgot how good Junior & Jacki were.

I know that Jacki is in charge of Poland's under 21s but anyone know what became of Junior Bent ?

From Wiki.....

Junior Antony Bent (born March 1, 1970 in Huddersfield, West Yorkshire) is an English former professional footballer. He played as a forward.

Bent began his career at Huddersfield Town, his hometown club, in 1987. He made 36 league appearances and scored six goals for the Terriers before joining Bristol City in 1990 for a £30,000 fee. Bent spent seven years at Ashton Gate, making almost 200 appearances and scoring 20 goals.

After loan spells at Stoke City and Shrewsbury Town, in 1992 and 1996 respectively, Bent signed for Blackpool in 1997 for a nominal fee. In four years at Bloomfield Road he made just over 100 appearances and found the net on five occasions.

He left the seaside in 2001, after Blackpool were relegated to Division Three, and joined Kettering Town, with whom he finished his playing career.

But it also looks like he played a few games for Lancaster as well

Telegraph

I heard Junior has spent some time inside.

Nope, that was a different bloke with the same name and let's be fair anyone who knew Junior would say he was not the dodgy sort at all.

All this Dziekanowski worship stuff always makes me laugh though, never has a player contributed so little to City yet had such an undeserved repuation.

A massive 8 league goals (all at home) and he was so brilliant that his next stop after we gave him away was the German second division.

When we lost 4-0 at Twerton Park and he spent the entire 90 minutes with his hands on his hips watching his team mates I'm sure you all thought at the time what a great asset he was.

Dennis Smiths comments were interesting the other day. Basically said Jacki would be on the lash all week, but still turn up on time for training - so does that mean he would pass the GJ test? - turns up on time but pished as a fart?

Bent, like Jacki, was incredibly infuriating.

Crossing similar to Sproule's (i.e. not good), but the bugger would wait on the half way line,back to goal, waiting for Llewellyn to pass the ball to feet.

His anticipation was ZERO. Never looked to make a run, just waited on the half way line with the LB 20 yards behind him.

AND apart from that Leicester game hardly ever got past his man.

At least Sproule would look for balls played over the top to run onto - something Bent never did.

Correct me if I'm wrong but seem to remember Junior running from the halfway line to score a cracker against Swindon away once - think it was a lunchtime kick off or summat as got back to watch it again on TV. Memory might be wrong as it was in days before Sky Sports dominated football coverage.

Apart from that he was pretty awful - on a par with Sproule with his crossing or lack of it!

Correct me if I'm wrong but seem to remember Junior running from the halfway line to score a cracker against Swindon away once - think it was a lunchtime kick off or summat as got back to watch it again on TV. Memory might be wrong as it was in days before Sky Sports dominated football coverage.

Apart from that he was pretty awful - on a par with Sproule with his crossing or lack of it!

Can't remember that. Unfortunately Father Time plays tricks with my memory........

But the point I was trying to make(poorly), is he NEVER looked for through balls; playing on the shoulder of the full-back or generally gambling where the ball might go.

People talk about how LJ is always first name on team-sheet, but so was Junior and he had half the technical ability that either LJ or Sproule has.

Nice guy though, but amazingly frustrating to watch(as was Jacki).

Can't remember that. Unfortunately Father Time plays tricks with my memory........

But the point I was trying to make(poorly), is he NEVER looked for through balls; playing on the shoulder of the full-back or generally gambling where the ball might go.

People talk about how LJ is always first name on team-sheet, but so was Junior and he had half the technical ability that either LJ or Sproule has.

That "playing off the shoulder" cost him a few broken cheek bones as well away at Oxford when he was blatantly elbowed in the face by Dave Pennie (I think - I also think he went on to manage Donny if I recall) and the ref did nothing - however the video evidence earnt him a six match ban or something like that.......not much good to us though when the only player on the pitch quick enuff to cause problems was on his way to hospital with a large amount of the game left

Funny that the only footage remaining of Bent are the few games where he is quality...Leicester, Liverpool, Swindon etc. Thats because he was class in the big games and utter gob the rest of the time.

Used to love the sarcastic cheering when the ball touched his head.

Much, much, much worse than Sproule

Much, much, much worse than Sproule

On the technical side maybe, but at least Junior tried when he put on a City shirt... can't say that I could say the same about Sproule.... plenty of ability, but rarely seen.

Junior's a cracking lad, and will always be held in high regard by many City fans.

All this Dziekanowski worship stuff always makes me laugh though, never has a player contributed so little to City yet had such an undeserved repuation.

A massive 8 league goals (all at home) and he was so brilliant that his next stop after we gave him away was the German second division.

When we lost 4-0 at Twerton Park and he spent the entire 90 minutes with his hands on his hips watching his team mates I'm sure you all thought at the time what a great asset he was.

How dare you say it like it really was :innocent06:

Also we havent had a good out and out winger since

Dave Smith

I can tell you really like an attractive style of football!?

Frustrating reading your posts! :disapointed2se:

I can tell you really like an attractive style of football!?

Frustrating reading your posts! :disapointed2se:

And you have a point.????

Yes I LOVE attractive football, and Jacki was capable of some sublime touches, but unfortunately he was also VERY lazy and VERY selfish(remember once when he shot from the goaline - impossible to score with Cole unmarked on the penalty spot).

Turning on the style for once or twice a game and then going AWOl for the other 89 minutes wasn't acceptable, and yes, I along with a LOT of others found him amazingly frustrating.

UNDOUBTEDLY, the most technically gifted and skillful player I have ever seen wear the red shirt, it was just a shame that he couldn't have applied it to more minutes on the pitch.

Problem is Gaz, a lot of people who can't really remember Jacki, decide to put on rose tinted specs and remember games like Leicester away, rather than the real Jacki, where he would sulk on the half way line, hands on hips, for 5 minutes because someone didn't read his through ball (and I can remember that on more than 1 occasion).

Archived