IGNORED

Skuusseeeeee

DavidNoble

Was up north last week on business and was talking to a premier scout who brought up the talk of Cole Skuse.

He said that in his opinion he could be a top player and has all the attributes of being one but struggles to have the belief in his own ability.

Maybe he needs a run and be given the responsibility to be the man instead of a sidekick.

Well, he always be a back-up to Marv whilst he's here. Marvs a much better player now and has more potential than skuse in my opnion.

Well, he always be a back-up to Marv whilst he's here. Marvs a much better player now and has more potential than skuse in my opnion.

Not really, Skuse was a key first team player in the promotion season and looked a decent prospect, however the problem always was with Skuse that he doesn't seem to have enough of a "nasty streak" and appears to be a very stand offish player who will put in a clever tackle rather than a flying at 200mph player such as Elliott, both similar players with different styles, although Elliott is first choice when both fully fit, I think there has been times in both this and last season, when skuse should have been playing over elliott.

That said although everyone would have looked at the line up and not been happy, yesterday showed for me that both can play together and until we get to Jan, with the current set of players, It's our strongest midfield, it won't be attacking enough, but at least we have players who can win the ball well and lay it out winger in the right position and leave the attacking to the wingers, instead of having them have to drop into the middle to support the weaker midfield.

I said it in another posting, for BOTH players they have been poor and below par this season, however yesterday was for both players their best perofrmances of season when playing alongside each other as opposed to when playing with others.

for me, it's suprisingly that this line up works, but whilst it does.......we need to role with it, especially with 2 tough away trips coming up where we will need to be strong, personally think it's a better line-up than 4-5-1 away from home........although I'd still be looking at another creative midfielder in Jan as for me, none of Williams, LJ or Noble are what we need.

Not really, Skuse was a key first team player in the promotion season and looked a decent prospect, however the problem always was with Skuse that he doesn't seem to have enough of a "nasty streak" and appears to be a very stand offish player who will put in a clever tackle rather than a flying at 200mph player such as Elliott, both similar players with different styles, although Elliott is first choice when both fully fit, I think there has been times in both this and last season, when skuse should have been playing over elliott.

That said although everyone would have looked at the line up and not been happy, yesterday showed for me that both can play together and until we get to Jan, with the current set of players, It's our strongest midfield, it won't be attacking enough, but at least we have players who can win the ball well and lay it out winger in the right position and leave the attacking to the wingers, instead of having them have to drop into the middle to support the weaker midfield.

I said it in another posting, for BOTH players they have been poor and below par this season, however yesterday was for both players their best perofrmances of season when playing alongside each other as opposed to when playing with others.

for me, it's suprisingly that this line up works, but whilst it does.......we need to role with it, especially with 2 tough away trips coming up where we will need to be strong, personally think it's a better line-up than 4-5-1 away from home........although I'd still be looking at another creative midfielder in Jan as for me, none of Williams, LJ or Noble are what we need.

Elliott is a class above skuse. Skuse may have played slightly better than marv yesterday - but he'll never have the energy or power that Eliott has.

I have always rated Cole. Unfortunately he only usually gets a game when Marv is out and therefore his performances get compared to Marv's performances at the first half of last season which is unfair. In my opinion he can definately play with Marv in the middle and can offer more than LJ brings to the side and more. He can tackle for a start. I hope Marv and Cole get a good run together until we hopefully bring someone else in come January.

what annoys me however is some who slate him on the back of his performance against Brum, yes he had a poor game, but when your directly up against a player like Lee Carlsley (who for me everton should never have let go) your always going to have a tough game, I don't know how much better Marv would have done against him

But what about against Wolves and he was very average vs Plymouth as well??

He may have played well yesterday but all this season I have seen him look vastly out of his depth at this level.

But what about against Wolves and he was very average vs Plymouth as well??

He may have played well yesterday but all this season I have seen him look vastly out of his depth at this level.

Wolves well the less said about that game as a whole the better but they are top of the league for a reason, I don't personally think Cole should take too much stick for that as for some reason he got played at Right Back??? despite Orr being on the bench? He's a defensive midfielder and cover for centre half, he's never a right back, much like he's no right winger, who Gary plays him in such positions good only knows.

I don't think it's really fair to judge any players really on their performances againt the likes of wolves, brum and reading as we just can't compete against those teams unfortunately apart from those 3 though we should be capable of matching anyone else I feel,

As for the plymouth game, everyone was very average not just Skuse so again unfair to single him out anyone could have come off in that game, first half was DREADFUL beyond belief.

To be fair, Cole has had good games and bad games, the problem is, so has anyone else in midfield this season, even Marvin has struggled this season, people mention his fitness and getting over injury, however he'sw been back for months now, with skuse alongside him.......Marv was excellent yesterday

interesting question is.......who were the central midfielders in both those games?

it's only one game so far, but skuse appears to have done enough to keep his place, given the spell that LJ is out for, I'm sure he's going to get a few games to cement his place........whether he keeps it or not when Lee is fit is another story..........but lets not go there.

Elliott is a class above skuse. Skuse may have played slightly better than marv yesterday - but he'll never have the energy or power that Eliott has.

oh god yeah, i don't think anyone anywhere would disagree with that,

personally I just think that if yesterday performance in comparsion to any from last month is anything to go by the midfield looked better with both Marv and Cole than with any other players there.

it's not going to be the most attacking or creative central partnership, but if it gets the wingers out wide and supplying crosses then I think it's the best we have got until Jan, it's going to make us hard to beat which is vital right now, but it's going to be more attacking than the 4-5-1 that Gary has tried.

I don't think Skuse is a long term solution, but for my money he brings more energy and defensive ability, which realeases the wide men. Allowing them to concentrate on attacking rather then having to over do the defensive stuff, sure they will have to continue to contribute in that but hopefully not as much as before.

If City are going to improve and maintain mid-table safety let alone trouble the top six we have got to put teams under far more pressure and retain the ball better and start scoring more goals. This will only happen when we start winniingthe ball higher up the pitch.

Obvious, but it seems to have taken far to long to work out.

Hi All, long time viewer of the forum, first time poster. I don't really know why i chose this thread to comment on but somehow felt id add my view on what i though was an excellent midfield display by Skuse. In whats been a dissapointing past few games at home due to the nature of performances and seeing a side loosing their way a touch i was glad to see a better team performance. There are sooo many contrasting views on the forum regarding tactics/players/service etc but yesterday was the first time in along time i could see abit of positivity from City (intersting considering the two DM's). Was good to see the midfield attempting through balls, getting ball on the ground and the stength in the middle to allow the wingers to use the width, and i felt we looked very dangerous with ivan and macca running the ball at players. It was an interesting selection from GJ but one which i think came off and surprised many, Skuse's passing was as good as any other midfielder on show this year, tackled well and was a presence throughout. it was good to see an assured performance in a role thats been greatly discussed. I have great faith in all the city Midfielders, they are all excellent footballers offering many different qualities, and i thought Noble was the man for the job yesterday, but it was good to see another challenger to that area.

I'm not sure at the moment if GJ knows his best team, given the run of results and injuries, but after that performance i would have though a similar team would be picked for Ipswich.

Always Believe!

RR :englandsmile4wf:

Well played mate i thought you were excellent today. You and Marv worked well together. Didn't look like we were missing LJ at all. Starter at Ipswich definitely.

Was he man of the match does anybody know??

Good to hear that Cole Skuse had a good game but how Wiliiams wasn't playing I don't know.And how the hell would LJ ever be missed - he does nothing.

If it wasn't Cole Skuse people would be rather suspicious that a player who's shown no form for ages suddenly clicks when his deal is running out...

Hopefully it's the start of Cole Skuse realising his potential though.

If it wasn't Cole Skuse people would be rather suspicious that a player who's shown no form for ages suddenly clicks when his deal is running out...

Hopefully it's the start of Cole Skuse realising his potential though.

Interesting point but how do you show form when you hardly ever play more than 2 consecutive games?

Interesting point but how do you show form when you hardly ever play more than 2 consecutive games?

Isn't it his lack of form that means he never plays more than that? Both in training so he doesn't start the season or when he does get a chance like the beginning of this year.

Archived