IGNORED

Reading V Bristol City

havanatopia

I thought I would share my thoughts with a wider audience mainly because the match was so rewarding from a City, fan and personal point of view. I could hardly have picked a better match or a better result to see in person.

The atmosphere reminded me of the heady days of promotion from Division 4.

I would appreciate some views from all of you and critique my player ratings.

A superb write up. :clapping:

Like others have mentioned, Bristol lad Cole Skuse is coming good and Williams seems to be improving with each game that passes. We're now on the cusp of a return to top flight football. :bounce:

Orr was shocking in the second half and got away with it on numerous occasions, to give him 8/10 is very generous. I'd of given him 6/10

Lee Johnson was also very poor second half and lost the ball in dangerous postions on numerous occasions by trying fancy dan passes rather than just keeping it simple. It doesn't get mentioned because nothing came of it but ion another day it would of cost us a goal. 6/10

Other than that top day out :bounce:

Edited by Seend Red

Orr was shocking in the second half and got away with it on numerous occasions, to give him 8/10 is very generous. I'd of given him 6/10

Lee Johnson was also very poor second half and lost the ball in dangerous postions on numerous occasions by trying fancy dan passes rather than just keeping it simple. It doesn't get mentioned because nothing came of it but ion another day it would of cost us a goal. 6/10

Just to show how subjective opinions and ratings can be. LJ was MOM in Sunday Mirror.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/cha...15875-21145463/

Edited by tompo

Just to show how subjective opinions and ratings can be. LJ was MOM on Sunday Mirror.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/cha...15875-21145463/

So true. But how a player, like I said, gave it away numerous times in the 2 nd half and put the rest of his team mate under pressure was award MOM is baffling to me.

Fontaine was immense and would of got the MOM from me.

Edited by Seend Red

• Admin
So true. But how a player, like I said, gave it away numerous times in the 2 nd half and put the rest of his team mate under pressure was award MOM is baffling to me.

I agree.

Doyle was a striker who was linked with £10m moves to the Premier League in the last window. What exactly did he do on Saturday? Liam did a proper job on him.

Fontaine is rapidly becoming one of the most important players in our side and I wouldn't be at all surprised if clubs from the League above started paying serious attention.

Can't comment on anybody's performance, not being at the game, but it makes a change for Lee to be criticised for trying to be too clever when keeping it simple is exactly what he usually gets stick for. :innocent06:

I agree.

Doyle was a striker who was linked with £10m moves to the Premier League in the last window. What exactly did he do on Saturday? Liam did a proper job on him.

Fontaine is rapidly becoming one of the most important players in our side and I wouldn't be at all surprised if clubs from the League above started paying serious attention.

I have thought for a while that Fonts could actually be the player in our team who could really go on at a higher level & make a name for himself. For a centre back his distribution is good & the only slight weakness for me is that he is not that domineering in the air - having said that (Peter Crouch, aside) is that attribute really so valuble in the Prem ?

I hope we keep hold of him, good as he is, Carey can't go on for ever & I would be pretty happy with a back 2 of Fonts & McCombe.

Can't comment on anybody's performance, not being at the game, but it makes a change for Lee to be criticised for trying to be too clever when keeping it simple is exactly what he usually gets stick for. :innocent06:

keep up China, he's either:

- Not doing enough & playing simple balls; or

- Doing fancy dan stuff & not keeping it simple

It's not rocket science - he just needs to make the right pass selection every single time he gets the ball ..... just like the rest of the team do.

Edited by William Stand

keep up China, he's either:

- Not doing enough & playing simple balls; or

- Doing fancy dan stuff & not keeping it simple

It's not rocket science - he just needs to make the right pass selection every single time he gets the ball ..... just like the rest of the team do.

I know, silly of me isn't it? :innocent06:

As I said in my earlier post - opinions are subjective. More often than not we only see what we want to see and not what we should see.

Prior to him signing for City, if you would have asked City fans for their opinion of Norman Hunter, the majority would have said he was nothing but a dirty clogger. Most people's preconceptions would have initially clouded their judgement. However, in reality, and as City fans came to recognise, he was anything but just a dirty player. He was very skilful and had a sweet left foot.

Perhaps the Mirror reporter, as a a neutral, approached the match with an open mind about the players on both sides. Perhaps, like you, he saw LJ give the ball away a few times but perhaps he also saw him do more positive things than you have given him credit for because he never had any pre-conceived ideas or was not looking to pounce on the slightest error.

I agree.

Fontaine? Who is this Fontaine you keep talking about?! I've never heard of him. Nor neither have any of the bigger clubs in the division above, neither. Not ever. :unsure:

As I said in my earlier post - opinions are subjective. More often than not we only see what we want to see and not what we should see.

Prior to him signing for City, if you would have asked City fans for their opinion of Norman Hunter, the majority would have said he was nothing but a dirty clogger. Most people's preconceptions would have initially clouded their judgement. However, in reality, and as City fans came to recognise, he was anything but just a dirty player. He was very skilful and had a sweet left foot.

Perhaps the Mirror reporter, as a a neutral, approached the match with an open mind about the players on both sides. Perhaps, like you, he saw LJ give the ball away a few times but perhaps he also saw him do more positive things than you have given him credit for because he never had any pre-conceived ideas or was not looking to pounce on the slightest error.

I'm in the LJ appreciation club. He didn't play badly (no-one did) but he did give the ball away, in bad positions, on a number of occasions.

I know it's all about opinions but how anyone watching the game didn't give the MOM to Fontaine is beyond me. He was immense.

MOM Adebola for me - involved in the build up to the free kick which he so ably buried - won the free kick for the all important second and then knocked on for Skuse to set up what seems either an own goal,or, if Fonts got a touch on the line a Burtons special.

LJ was always available and I think his contribution was important in a dominant midfield where both Skuse and Williams excelled.

Back four looked solid and all played their part in the victory. Orr won the free kick that led to the first, McAllister had a last ditch tackle when one of their forwards was otherwise through and Fonts and Carey were dominant.

Probably for me Sproule had a quiet game but still worked hard for the team.

Great game, great win and a great day out.