IGNORED

Possible Targets

DavidNoble

Norwich:

Sammy Clingan - good midfielder/ good set piece taker too

Crystal Palace:

Jose Fonte - solid defender quick, replacemenet for McCombe?

Barnsley:

Campbell Ryce - attitude could be a problem although no doubt on ability, also we need a RW.

Southampton:

Dave McGoldrick - they have money problems has 14 goals this season and we could be after a striker who is pacy and strong.

Charlton:

Therry Racon - could come fairly cheap, looked good when ive seen him

Llloyd Sam - can play on both wings pacy, a good winger

Nick Bailey - although i do realise other bigger clubs such as WBA have been linked with him

Plymouth:

Alan Judge - i think he could be a great signing, young peforming well and blackburn i wouldnt imagine want to keep him, done well for plymouth and in ireland under21's.

Blackpool:

Shaun Barker -magnificent at the gate this year, seemed to look very strong although havent seen alot else of him

Watford:

Would love to see tommy smith although pretty certain he will go to a wolves or similar.

Donny:

Martin Woods - always looked good when ive seen him, not afraid to shoot either unlike alot of our players!

League One

Mark Yeates - linked before, consistent performer for colchester, worth a look?

Alfie

Isn't Rasiak on loan to Watford from Saints. He's a good player we may be interested in.

Raziak and Smith looked a good pairing at their place this season! (The rest of the team looked poor mind!)

We had Maynard and John....they had Smith and Raziak! Both Raziak and John were supposed to be holding the ball up! Raziak was far better on that day and gave a good display of a player who can hold the ball up and release runners!

Norwich:

Crystal Palace:

Barnsley:

Campbell Ryce - attitude could be a problem although no doubt on ability, also we need a RW.

Southampton:

Dave McGoldrick - they have money problems has 14 goals this season and we could be after a striker who is pacy and strong.

Charlton:

Nick Bailey - although i do realise other bigger clubs such as WBA have been linked with him

Plymouth:

Alan Judge - i think he could be a great signing, young peforming well and blackburn i wouldnt imagine want to keep him, done well for plymouth and in ireland under21's.

Blackpool:

Shaun Barker -magnificent at the gate this year, seemed to look very strong although havent seen alot else of him

Watford:

Would love to see tommy smith although pretty certain he will go to a wolves or similar.

Donny:

Martin Woods - always looked good when ive seen him, not afraid to shoot either unlike alot of our players!

League One

Alfie

Some good shouts there - and we definately need to be bringng in experienced CHAMPIONSHIP players as we have found that bringing in players from League 1 and Scotland hasn't worked particularly well. And - suprisingly, given Gary's Latvia/international days - neither has the European market (Vasko, Styvar)

League 1 imports - Trundle McCoombe Noble

Scotland imports - McAllister Johnson Sproule

Championship imports - Dele McIndoe Williams

There are exceptions - clearly Elliott (although he had prior champ experience)and possibly Maynard (although he was vastly overpriced and is still potential rather than proven quality) but generally we now need experienced Championship (or better) players. Our days shopping in the lower leagues should be over unless it's to nick a youngster (for the future) like we have with Akinde and Wolves did - with rather more success - with Kightly and Vokes.

CR

Some good shouts there - and we definately need to be bringng in experienced CHAMPIONSHIP players as we have found that bringing in players from League 1 and Scotland hasn't worked particularly well. And - suprisingly, given Gary's Latvia/international days - neither has the European market (Vasko, Styvar)

League 1 imports - Trundle McCoombe Noble

Scotland imports - McAllister Johnson Sproule

Championship imports - Dele McIndoe Williams

There are exceptions - clearly Elliott (although he had prior champ experience)and possibly Maynard (although he was vastly overpriced and is still potential rather than proven quality) but generally we now need experienced Championship (or better) players. Our days shopping in the lower leagues should be over unless it's to nick a youngster (for the future) like we have with Akinde and Wolves did - with rather more success - with Kightly and Vokes.

CR

Kightly and Vokes were very good buys.

Unfortunately Akinde and Stevar are Tosh.

I do hope we bring in some proven quality this summer.

Akinde, 'tosh'???? Thats harsh, lad's hardly played for City after signing from Ebbsfleet, and I bet Wycombe would love to keep him in League 1, next season. I think he is potentially a great signing. Time will tell.

Styvar is an absolute mystery, not exactly a young 'un and can't head, pass, run, score or tackle, from what we have seen so far.

A body blow to the effectiveness of our alledged scouting network, admittedly.

Akinde, 'tosh'???? Thats harsh, lad's hardly played for City after signing from Ebbsfleet, and I bet Wycombe would love to keep him in League 1, next season. I think he is potentially a great signing. Time will tell.

Styvar is an absolute mystery, not exactly a young 'un and can't head, pass, run, score or tackle, from what we have seen so far.

A body blow to the effectiveness of our alledged scouting network, admittedly.

I agree with you about Akinde. I hope he is given a run in the team next season if we don't get anybody decent in to replace Adebola. He has been brilliant for Wycombe since he has signed there on loan and yes I know its a lower league but I think the bloke deserves a chance.

Norwich:

Crystal Palace:

Barnsley:

Southampton:

Charlton:

Plymouth:

Blackpool:

Watford:

Donny:

League One

Alfie

Overall i find this list quite underwhelming. I do not see it takes us up a significant notch. Perhaps one or two but frankly i think we need to be looking higher or overseas.

akinde isnt tosh he scored in his first game for us and helped wycombe secure there league 1 place for next season.

Norwich:

Very average player but probably good competition for Johnson

Crystal Palace:

Good shout, but is he available and how much would he cost?

Barnsley:

Always thought he was a lower league journeyman with a poor attitude but he's impressed this season and might be open to a move here

Southampton:

Similar to Maynard and no better, so I suppose it depends what sort of strikers we go for

Charlton:

Don't know enough about him

Similar to Sproule, pace and no end product

Would be a great signing for us but agree with what you say

Plymouth:

Blackpool:

Most impressive player I saw all season, maybe because he stood out so much with his hair but lets hope that game wasn't a one off

Watford:

Great Championship player, not quite Prem standard but possibly slightly out of our league

Donny:

I'd take any of Donnys midfield if it turns us into as good a passing team as them

League One

We've got most chance of buying a player like this, I think we'll be taking a few punts on cheaper league one players this summer and that isn't a bad thing

Alfie

Some good suggestions there and out of those I'd love to see Fonte, Campbell Ryce, Bailey, Barker, Smith or Yeates down the gate but realistically we haven't got a hope of signing some of them.

Overall i find this list quite underwhelming. I do not see it takes us up a significant notch. Perhaps one or two but frankly i think we need to be looking higher or overseas.

care to suggest anyone you may find overwhelming then?

Looking higher ?

Also another name i thought of could well be Tudgay at Wednesday- know he was player of the year and might have a decent deal at the owls, maybe worth a look.

Rasiak isnt a bad shout at all, Priskin?

Other players:

Fahey, Birmingham: Can play left wing or centre midfield and realistically not good enough for the Premier League.

Whittingham, Cardiff: Decent passer and set piece taker but possibly stuck in a rut at Cardiff.

Lewington, MK Dons: Solid defender, and a realistic target if they don't go up.

Croft, Norwich: Always impressed me, but may cost a lot and bigger teams are rumoured to be interested.

Gunnarsson, Coventry: A midfield battler.

Having said that I hope our scouting system can spread a bit further than most of us with our comparatively limited knowledge.

Chris Baird - Fulham (Free Transfer) Very consistent centre back, who is available on a free in the summer. He reminds me of Carey in that he's not tall enough to be completely dominant in the air, and not the quickest either. But he is a very good leader and defender, which we lack when Carey is missing. His wages would be high, but if we didn't have to pay a fee, then I think it's worth a go. We would have to fight off a lot of competition but would be an excellent signing if we could persuade him to join.

Lee Martin - Manchester United (Free Transfer) A pacy left winger born in Taunton, who looks likely to move on in the summer. Different player to McIndoe as he can beat his defender with pace alone. Don't think his wage demands would be too high and is again on a free transfer, so no fee would be involved. Also likely to have competition for his signature, but if he still has links down here (Not sure he has any, other than the fact he was born in Taunton) may have something on our side.

Leroy Lita - Reading (Free Transfer) Out of contract and unlikely to get a new deal, everyone knows about Leroy already. It's well known that we tried to get him back on loan last season, so Johnson must like him as a player, and despite his off the field trouble, his attitude on the pitch is very good, he works hard and is a great goalscorer at this level. Different type of player to Maynard as he has more physical presence and would be a great addition especially on a free.

For a creative, hard working centre midfielder, maybe Chris Cohen from Forest or Andy Dorman from St. Mirren if were willing to spend some money.

Barker would be a good signing on his performance at the gate( although it is only 1 performance!),although saying that,with Iriekpen possibly staying,Ribeiro fit again and Wilson a year older,I would be happy with what we have got at the back.Boyd from Posh would of been nice although I cant see that happening now they have been promoted.don't know what the situation is with Sinclair at Chelsea,but he has been on loan a few times in the championship,so there might be a chance.Mcgoldrick(is that how you spell it?) from Southampton,along with wright-phillips(always rated him,I know he comes with baggage!).Nathan Tyson from forest would certainly add pace in abundance.IMO these targets!? would be realistic(except maybe Boyd) and all of a good age with pace and ability,with pace being a key factor in the modern game.

Barker would be a good signing on his performance at the gate( although it is only 1 performance!),although saying that,with Iriekpen possibly staying,Ribeiro fit again and Wilson a year older,I would be happy with what we have got at the back.Boyd from Posh would of been nice although I cant see that happening now they have been promoted.don't know what the situation is with Sinclair at Chelsea,but he has been on loan a few times in the championship,so there might be a chance.Mcgoldrick(is that how you spell it?) from Southampton,along with wright-phillips(always rated him,I know he comes with baggage!).Nathan Tyson from forest would certainly add pace in abundance.IMO these targets!? would be realistic(except maybe Boyd) and all of a good age with pace and ability,with pace being a key factor in the modern game.

pace isn't everything sproule springs to mind

if we signed tyson or mcgoldrick i would be a little concerned as i don't think they would improve us that much would rather see akinde and maynard up front than those two

Mcgoldrick has scored about the same as Maynard in a struggling team(i think),so it certainly wouldnt be a step backwards.As for Tyson,as long as he has got over his injury problems,he would be something diferent,not sure how many he has got this season,again in a struggling team.They would certainly provide competition,remember that John and Adebola will probably not be around next season.Also an important factor is that they are realistic targets.

Croft, Lita & Martin would be most of the job done without a penny going on transfer fees.

However wages would be high and they may well get better offers.

One more decent striker to lead the line for a season or two while akinde improves would be enough for me. Iwelumo good shout for 2-3 year contract, prob cost about 1m though

Croft, Lita & Martin would be most of the job done without a penny going on transfer fees.

However wages would be high and they may well get better offers.

One more decent striker to lead the line for a season or two while akinde improves would be enough for me. Iwelumo good shout for 2-3 year contract, prob cost about 1m though

Agree with whats out there in the way of free/bosman delas this summer i honestly think we don't have to spend much more than a milion if that on players.

Yes wages will be high but by saving money on actually transfer fees we can use that money saved to pay more in wages.

Whose that 17 year old who plays in the middle for Charlton? Apparently most teams thinks he stopped Charlton losing every game 6-0 by himself! All say he will go on to play regular prem football. Be nice for us jsut to bid for players like these!

Whose that 17 year old who plays in the middle for Charlton? Apparently most teams thinks he stopped Charlton losing every game 6-0 by himself! All say he will go on to play regular prem football. Be nice for us jsut to bid for players like these!

that is jonjo shelvey, he looks absolutely class, but will be going to someone like fulham for about 3 million I reckon. Still, if Marvin is sold we will have that kind of money available....

that is jonjo shelvey, he looks absolutely class, but will be going to someone like fulham for about 3 million I reckon. Still, if Marvin is sold we will have that kind of money available....

Thats the one. Now i know everyone will say "oh there's no chance of getting him" etc, but I don't see the harm of putting in an offer in for him. They can only say no!

There's no doubt he has very little ability. He's vastly inferior to Sproule, and I don't say that lightly.

i disagree has got 9 goals this year for a struggling team that don't score many anyway.

I feel he would be a astute acquisition, and I'm not so sure how he is similar to sproule, just pace thats the only similarity IMO.

another name i thought of never been mentioned is mike jones of bury who has played well over 40 games this season for them very young still only 21 and surely could be fairly cheap, lookout for him thursday in play-offs and yes i know hes from league two but why not!

I know he is a decent player as my friend who is a bury fan rates him highly and i think was linked with MK Dons in January.

i still feel also Jon Parkin although big and fat could do a job for us.

thoughts?

i disagree has got 9 goals this year for a struggling team that don't score many anyway.

I feel he would be a astute acquisition, and I'm not so sure how he is similar to sproule, just pace thats the only similarity IMO.

another name i thought of never been mentioned is mike jones of bury who has played well over 40 games this season for them very young still only 21 and surely could be fairly cheap, lookout for him thursday in play-offs and yes i know hes from league two but why not!

I know he is a decent player as my friend who is a bury fan rates him highly and i think was linked with MK Dons in January.

thoughts?

I agree about the Beast but he could well be in the Premier League next season.

thoughts?

Prefer to stay well away. Lazyest striker since Stern John.

If Burnley go up i'd love to see a winger like Wade Elliott here, took his goal well on saturday and look lively all game running at our full backs as did Chris Eagles on the other wing.

He's a right winger with a lot of pace but not much idea what to do with the ball. That makes him pretty similar to Sproule in my book.

That said, 9 goals from the wing in a struggling team is not to be sniffed at and better than any of our midfielders so perhaps I'm being harsh.

All I have to go on are the times I've seen him play against City. I've always thought he looked like he should be dangerous but been relieved to see that he doesn't seem to know the first thing about playing football.

I still think he's similar to Sproule and we'd do better by working out how to make Sproule more effective than by signing another similar player.

Archived