IGNORED

Come On Bristol.........eh?

Frenchay Red

I've been supporting "City" or The City" for 57 years. And I know it erks some folk a lot when we are referred to as "Bristol" in live matches, and in the spoken and written national media as well.

Today however I heard for the first time (that I can recall) a fan/supporter, in the row infront of me giving it big verbals along the lines of "C'mon Bristol", "get stuck in Bristol", "don't give it away Bristol" etc.

He was not young, I'd say late forties of early fifties, and seemed to possess the local accent, and being in Coventry I assumed this was not his first game, but why oh why was he cheering for Bristol? Maybe I should have asked him. But he might have told me to mind my own business (and I hate confrontation amongst our own fans!!)

I wonder if anyone else has sat nearby someone cheering for "Bristol". It certainly sounded strange to me!

I've been supporting "City" or The City" for 57 years. And I know it erks some folk a lot when we are referred to as "Bristol" in live matches, and in the spoken and written national media as well.

Today however I heard for the first time (that I can recall) a fan/supporter, in the row infront of me giving it big verbals along the lines of "C'mon Bristol", "get stuck in Bristol", "don't give it away Bristol" etc.

He was not young, I'd say late forties of early fifties, and seemed to possess the local accent, and being in Coventry I assumed this was not his first game, but why oh why was he cheering for Bristol? Maybe I should have asked him. But he might have told me to mind my own business (and I hate confrontation amongst our own fans!!)

I wonder if anyone else has sat nearby someone cheering for "Bristol". It certainly sounded strange to me!

Same for me today, i was sat round by the left corner flag right by the entrance bit and he kept either saying come on bristol or skuse your sh**!

Oh dear not a regular then !

Same for me today, i was sat round by the left corner flag right by the entrance bit and he kept either saying come on bristol or skuse your sh**!

Could well be the same guy then, as I was in this area, block 7 and he was at the end of row X I think. Didn't hear him slagging off Skuuuuuse though. No need for that :nono:

Guest Red Nee Tot
Could well be the same guy then, as I was in this area, block 7 and he was at the end of row X I think. Didn't hear him slagging off Skuuuuuse though. No need for that :nono:

There is only one team in Bristol ___ Rovers -- We are the boys.

I know that references to "Bristol" instead and "Bristol City" winds people up. Can't say it bothers me too much and no matter how much it winds people up, it ain't going to go away, particularly when non supporters/Bristolians are talking about us.

And, I well remember the chant "B-R-IS-TOL" (clap clap clap), "B-R-I-STOL" (clap clap clap) being used regularly in my first days in the EE during the 70s, and it's still used occasionally nowadays - as recently as the Middlesborough game in fact.

And, I well remember the chant "B-R-IS-TOL" (clap clap clap), "B-R-I-STOL" (clap clap clap) being used regularly in my first days in the EE during the 70s, and it's still used occasionally nowadays - as recently as the Middlesborough game in fact.

I remember that well from my first ever game in 1979. A packed ground and a roar of B_R_I-STOL going up.

I had never seen or heard anything like it and as a kid it made a huge impression. That was the day I became a Bristol City fan. Before that day I had had no interest in football and I'm not sure I could even have named the Bristol football clubs or what colours they played in (hey - I was very young).

I didn't get to go again for 2 years, and by 1981 the atmosphere was nothing like '79, but the damage was done....

Moral - take your kids / young relatives to big City games. I could equally well have been taken to a Rovers game (more of my relatives were Rovers than were City) and started supporting them.

I could equally well have been taken to a Rovers game (more of my relatives were Rovers than were City) and started supporting them.

I'd have thought the first time you heard that foul dirge 'Irene' you'd have burst into tears and forced your erring relative to mercifully remove you from that cesspit, never to return.

Apart from proudly wearing a Red & White scarf and bobble hat when BCFC went to thrash them, of course. :yes:

What an odd post. We even chanted BR-IS-TOL - today!!! If it bothered you that much why didn't you say something? Pretty petty if you ask me.

The charitable explanation would be the most simple one - the fan was just making sure he distinguished between the two "City's" on the pitch today.

Makes sense to be fair!

And maybe he didn't realise there is another team in Bristol?

My mate's a Reading fan, and like plenty of "outsiders", just assumes that there is "only one team in Brisol"

We should take it as a compliment. We should lay claim to the "Bristol" tag, just to help people forget about... um... forget about... um.. whoever they are.

When we're in the Premier League: consider, for example, foreign media showing our games - will they have ever head of a bunch of Pirates from the slums?

I know that references to "Bristol" instead and "Bristol City" winds people up. Can't say it bothers me too much and no matter how much it winds people up, it ain't going to go away, particularly when non supporters/Bristolians are talking about us.

Not sure what their problem is - that was a great chant, at football or seaside resorts on bank holidays

Not sure what their problem is - that was a great chant, at football or seaside resorts on bank holidays

when about 50 gasheads joined you lot against man utd many years ago we arranged to meet you lot on ashton park..as both sets got closer it was a bit tense..then both sets started to chan BIR ISTLE clap clap clap and so on and we enjoyed an afternoon on the eastend with you lot..that chant was very common in both camps then..we also joined up against millwall one year as well..now see not many of you will remember that then eh..a long time ago but still happened.

Where have you been ???!!! :noexpression:

BUUURRRISSSSSTOL

...has been chanted throughout the 70's, 80's, 90's up to today to my knowledge.

But you don't mind confrontation by writing this though?!!

Archived