IGNORED

Bcfc Robin Badge Poll

Warwickshire Red

BCFC Robin Badge  

189 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

No you are not being a cock, but you do seem to be reading things from my posts that I have not written.

Why on earth would I imply that we 'have nothing to do with Bristol'?? All that I have said is that the Coat of Arms represents Bristol, not our football club. Neither have I claimed that we are the only 'Robins' in the football world.

I'll try to simplify my point by reiterating an opinion that I have expressed on another thread.

IMO, if you were to show the Coat of Arms (minus the Bristol City wording) to most people in the country and ask them which football club it represents, I would imagine that a lot of them would not have the faintest idea. If you were to show them a Robin and the Clifton Suspension Bridge I'm pretty sure most would associate it with Bristol (because of the bridge) and City as opposed to Rovers (because of the Robin). Therefore I disagree with the last of your comments that I have highlighted as although the Coat of Arms is the crest of Bristol, I do not think it is easily recognisable as Bristol City 'Football Club' at all.

Would you be able to distinguish the Coat of Arms for Sheffield from the Coat of Arms for Liverpool? Maybe you would, but I'm sure most people would recognise Liverpool and Wednesday a lot easier by a Liver Bird and an Owl.

To clarify, for the above reasons, it is the Robin/Suspension Bridge badge that I would like to see return. The bridge is equally, if not more important to the badge than the robin.

Sorry I didn't mean to put words in your mouth, I was reading between the lines and emphasising certain points to get my message across and I get what your saying and I think we have some common ground that the Bridge would have to be a very important part of any badge redesign and I want to be clear im neither pro or against the shield and im neither pro or against a badge redesign what I am against is the Robin being anything to do with our new badge as I just don't see how Robins have anything to do with us apart from being called the robins on a whim.

Sorry I didn't mean to put words in your mouth, I was reading between the lines and emphasising certain points to get my message across and I get what your saying and I think we have some common ground that the Bridge would have to be a very important part of any badge redesign and I want to be clear im neither pro or against the shield and im neither pro or against a badge redesign what I am against is the Robin being anything to do with our new badge as I just don't see how Robins have anything to do with us apart from being called the robins on a whim.

No problem.

I just would like to see a badge on our shirts that is instantly recognisable as 'Bristol City Football Club', which IMO should feature the Suspension Bridge (to represent Bristol), a football (to represent the Football Club) and a third image to represent our nickname.

As I have never had a problem with us being called 'The Robins', I love the old badge as it consists of these three features. However, if the majority decision was to change our nickname and therefore the third image on the badge in line with it, I would not necessarily have a problem with that either. :innocent06:

To put this as simply as I can...

The Robin badge (in my opinion) is too small time.

Let's weigh it up:

Pro's of Robin badge

1. (provided the suspension bridge is in the background) it does identify us as a club - the robins from Bristol.
  2. It is simple and in some ways effective - the football obviously indicates we are a football club, the robin shows our club "identity" and the bridge shows our location - Bristol
  3. It's easy to replicate
  4. It comes from a very successful time in our clubs history.

Cons of Robin badge

1. The design is outdated and frankly has no class. It looks tacky and does not make our shirts look any better being there.
  2. It is (in my view) too narrow minded - bear with me I shall explain.
  3. It is a badge that many fans can't identify with - new or old, as they see the club badge as being the coat of arms.
  4. The badge and the period it comes from represent only a small portion of our history - should we really be putting a badge on our shirt that was only there for a short period of time when we have had another for the majority of our badge wearing time?

A lot of people have said that the coat of arms does not identify us as Bristol City, merely Bristol. I am assuming that these are the same people who are offended when we are referred to as Bristol on television. I myself used to be one of these people but now I see the bigger picture. With the coat of arms on our shirts we are not just Bristol City football club, we are THE club representing Bristol. We are all that Bristol stands for in a football team and all that we strive to achieve. I see nothing wrong now with the media referring to us as Bristol nor to our badge being the coat of arms. The reason is that we are therefore seen as the only team in Bristol! With Rovers a reasonable distance behind us in club size and potential currently, is it wise to use our position ahead of them to our own advantage? By being THE club for Bristol we effectively can wipe Rovers out of peoples knowledge - my hatred for Rovers is strong and I see no better way to eradicate that shitty club with a shitty ground than to make ourselves THE club for Bristol. We have to build this club, and then establish ourselves nationally. With the Robin on our chest we limit ourselves to being Bristol City - the team that were once a division 1 side, the last time they wore this badge. Is that not a stigma we wish to avoid? With the coat of arms on our shirts we are Bristol City, largest (eventually the only) club in Bristol pushing onwards in the championship under Steve Coppell. The coat of arms has tradition, and it has identity.Bristol City F.c. 1894.

For those reasons I prefer it to the Robin (though I will finally conceed the Robin has its pros).

To be honest I think on most occasions it just comes down to which badge was on the shirt when you first started supporting is the one you identify most with. So those who started supporting the club pre-1976 and post-1994 will be favour the current badge and those from 1976-1994 will support the robin badge.

To be honest I think on most occasions it just comes down to which badge was on the shirt when you first started supporting is the one you identify most with. So those who started supporting the club pre-1976 and post-1994 will be favour the current badge and those from 1976-1994 will support the robin badge.

can we have BC82 on our shirts in that case?

esmond: it's your ego not you're ego, ask Diane Abbott, she knows a good school when she spots one.

Archived