IGNORED

Bcfc Robin Badge Poll

Warwickshire Red

BCFC Robin Badge  

189 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

and Nibor actually Robins are certainly not gay, They are one of the most violent and territorial birds in the bird world, Most fights between robins over territory inevitably ends in the death of one of them. They are a bird that will take no crap from other birds. When you feed garden birds and the various species are feeding, As soon as a robin comes onto the feed table the other species get out of the way very quickly, Too be honest they are not popular amongst other bird species and whilst other species bugger off during the winter to sunnier climes, The robin is still there visible in all winds and weathers, Well hard.

Thank you Bill Oddie.

I asked a selection of people who they thought the Robins were, out of 7, a few of which footy fans (not City) only 1 guessed right. If you google Robins its mostly, Swindle and Cheltenham...and Altrincham.

I'm not gonna disrespect the territorial and ferocious merits of a Robin as a bird, but to me, the Robin only brings imagines of Dickensian winters and Xmas cards with a cute ickle Robin perched on a fork, aww bless them.

Only one problem, what do you replace the Robins with?

Bristol Bullets

Severnsiders

Bristol bastards :laugh:

Bridge guardians/Bridge Trolls (that we defend the 2 crossings from the Taffs, plus the CS Bridge)

Valiants I liked with the Ashton Vale link, We could coincide it with the new name of our stadium that would be good, but we would need to know the stadium name first. Not eassy.

Here is a link to nick names of footy teams, might inspire some thoughts, I was try to make a historical link with Bristol to the nick name, give it some meaning i thought.

http://www.pubquizhe...port/names.html

I asked a selection of people who they thought the Robins were, out of 7, a few of which footy fans (not City) only 1 guessed right. If you google Robins its mostly, Swindle and Cheltenham...and Altrincham.

I'm not gonna disrespect the territorial and ferocious merits of a Robin as a bird, but to me, the Robin only brings imagines of Dickensian winters and Xmas cards with a cute ickle Robin perched on a fork, aww bless them.

Valiants I liked with the Ashton Vale link, We could coincide it with the new name of our stadium that would be good, but we would need to know the stadium name first. Not eassy.

you want Port Vale's nickname because other clubs copied ours?

Bristol Bullets

Severnsiders

Bristol bastards :laugh:

Bridge guardians/Bridge Trolls (that we defend the 2 crossings from the Taffs, plus the CS Bridge)

Here is a link to nick names of footy teams, might inspire some thoughts, I was try to make a historical link with Bristol to the nick name, give it some meaning i thought.

http://www.pubquizhe...port/names.html

All the best nick names have a story attached to them. We had a nick name with a story attached to it. The 'Bristol Babes' - completely unique and tells a story about the greatest side we ever had. Wouldn't it great if people asked 'why 'Bristol Babes?' We could tell our story of that team and what they achieved. Honestly, what can you say about the Robin? The nick name became popular because of a popular song back in the 40s?

I actually, don't have much against the robin at all, it is part of our recent history, but it was a 70s aberration dreamt up on a whim. Keep the crest celebrate 'the Babes'!

Robins are gay, simple as that. All the robin badges look like a kid with some crayons did them during detention.

Awwwww I love my crayons. Gay?? Get Angry mr robin tounge.gif

Male Robins are noted for their highly aggressive territorial behaviour They will attack other males that stray into their territories, and have been observed attacking other small birds without apparent provocation. Such attacks sometimes lead to fatalities, accounting for up to 10% of adult Robin deaths in some areas.

http://www.answers.com/topic/redbreast

28810_1431351393348_1519775573_31072732_6823790_n.jpg

32510_1432955433448_1519775573_31076008_2898855_n.jpg

28810_1431305112191_1519775573_31072524_5277022_n.jpg

28810_1431305072190_1519775573_31072523_6055452_n.jpg

28810_1431304872185_1519775573_31072519_5619535_n.jpg

I think a badge similar in style to barca's would look good.have both the present badge and the robin with maybe something else included.just another idea to put out there

But Barca's badge has been designed from the city of Barcelona coat of arms, are you saying we should design ours from the Bristol coat of arms? Cus I don't know if you have noticed but um ..... well .... we kind of already have that!

to be serious I quite like the idea but I think it would be far to intra-cut to make both of those badges fit on another badge.

The Robin badge has no class.

It's like lowering ourselves to the level of Rovers - what kind of mickey mouse club has a pirate as part of their badge?

Anyway, In my view we should revert to the more accurate version of the coat of arms, as used in the 1950's.

The point is to have a badge that represents the club and nick name as a whole (like other clubs) Bristol rovers, pirates = pirate badge, now it may not be a great design but it represnts them, the badge, the nickname and their mascott, we have a robin mascott running around the pitch that represents nothing about our club badge?

Robins Bristol City Colour of home kit same as a robin's chest

Robins Charlton Athletic Colour of home kit same as a robin's chest

Robins Cheltenham Town Colour of home kit same as a robin's chest

Robins Swindon Town Colour of home kit same as a robin's chest

Now the crest represents BRISTOL but not directly and only Bristol city fc...

Bristol city fc -- the robins ... with a badge of a ship and castle and 2 unicorns with a robin mascot that used to be a cat???

but our history is calling us the robins....

If keeping the crest what is a nickname that is short and catchy that goes with it and this club??

http://en.wikipedia...._United_Kingdom

The point is to have a badge that represents the club and nick name as a whole (like other clubs) Bristol rovers, pirates = pirate badge, now it may not be a great design but it represnts them, the badge, the nickname and their mascott, we have a robin mascott running around the pitch that represents nothing about our club badge?

Robins Bristol City Colour of home kit same as a robin's chest

Robins Charlton Athletic Colour of home kit same as a robin's chest

Robins Cheltenham Town Colour of home kit same as a robin's chest

Robins Swindon Town Colour of home kit same as a robin's chest

Now the crest represents BRISTOL but not directly and only Bristol city fc...

Bristol city fc -- the robins ... with a badge of a ship and castle and 2 unicorns with a robin mascot that used to be a cat??? but our history is

calling us the robins....

If keeping the crest what is a nickname that is short and catchy that goes with it and this club??

http://en.wikipedia...._United_Kingdom

I blame the Gash - they obviously saw that there were loads of nicknames going spare at some point and stole a whole load so that we couldn't get at them! They truly are the biggest bunch of pikey filth going.

Im going for a new nickname of the southciders to emphasise our history as the team from south Bristol and the south west although this doesn't help with making a badge and could be quite annoying to fans that are from north Bristol maybe making them feel like there not welcome - maybe I will have another think about that one.

Looking over this topic I see one things for sure if the badge was to change there would be uproar with lots of people complaining - with something like this that's all about how we all see our identity I think if anyone tries to change it they are on a path to more hassle than it could ever be worth.

I blame the Gash - they obviously saw that there were loads of nicknames going spare at some point and stole a whole load so that we couldn't get at them! They truly are the biggest bunch of pikey filth going.

Im going for a new nickname of the southciders to emphasise our history as the team from south Bristol and the south west although this doesn't help with making a badge and could be quite annoying to fans that are from north Bristol maybe making them feel like there not welcome - maybe I will have another think about that one.

Looking over this topic I see one things for sure if the badge was to change there would be uproar with lots of people complaining - with something like this that's all about how we all see our identity I think if anyone tries to change it they are on a path to more hassle than it could ever be worth.

you never know untill it is put to the test, the club changed from the crest to the robin for the reasons we were called the robins,, the robin in front of the gate logo was on badges and the clubs programme for years (even when we had no badge on the shirts it was there) it made sense to use the logo of a robin on the badge instead of the crest for our top flight football, it was scott davidson that reverted it back to the crest in the late 90's and then with it we had a cat as a mascott??? but the nick name was still the robins, the crest did not represent us in the sense of our own inner ID,,, the badge changing twice was never gauged with fans as the media focus was never as magnified as it is today so we will never know but if we were called Bristol city fc ''the virtute's as in virtute et industria ''motto'' of Bristol (which is on the real crest) along with a mascott of maybe a figure dressed up of that period then maybe i could understand the hard ship of trying to change to a robin, fact is for years we have been called Bristol city, the robins and we have a robin mascott but a badge that represents everything else Bristol including our rivals, who changed their badge for the very reasons we are asking to change it.

If a return of the robin is to come then i would like to see other designs to, the bristol babes was a fan nickname like the eastend is, the eastend was never an official name for the stand, the robin has been used for club merchandise in the past unlike the bristol babes....

People may hate mascotts but they are part of todays football and entertainment for the kids and a fair few fans

get their picture taken with scrumpy the robin.

As for southciders it sounds ok but again what would a badge and mascott look like? can see a wurzel as a mascott but not feeling the badge as yet.

Bristol_arms_cropped.jpg

What a great thread...

From the sexual proclativities of those who wear a badge with a Robin on it, all the way through to the actual ornathology...Fantastic!

Anyway for my two pence worth..I, as some are aware, have supported the club from the 60's, through as some have said, thin and thinner....

In all those years the things the club have done to really piss me off include

1 Lock me out against the Rovers when I had a ticket in the late 90's you all know the one

2 Change the home end to the Open End...(For the oldies..)..Crap decsision crap result

3 Make almost no allowance for those of us who travel a long way for home games (much better in recent years)

4 Make Tony Pullis manager, an appointment that had failed before it started...

5 Play Carl Hutchins...awful...

6 Chage our badge to that bloody bridge and robin design...Truly Bloody Awful..I like our current crest it says who we are and certainly doesn't look gay!!!innocent06.gif

What a great thread...

From the sexual proclativities of those who wear a badge with a Robin on it, all the way through to the actual ornathology...Fantastic!

Anyway for my two pence worth..I, as some are aware, have supported the club from the 60's, through as some have said, thin and thinner....

In all those years the things the club have done to really piss me off include

1 Lock me out against the Rovers when I had a ticket in the late 90's you all know the one

2 Change the home end to the Open End...(For the oldies..)..Crap decsision crap result

3 Make almost no allowance for those of us who travel a long way for home games (much better in recent years)

4 Make Tony Pullis manager, an appointment that had failed before it started...

5 Play Carl Hutchins...awful...

6 Chage our badge to that bloody bridge and robin design...Truly Bloody Awful..I like our current crest it says who we are and certainly doesn't look gay!!!innocent06.gif

No, it doesn't.

Oh I'm sorry. My replica shirt has the words Bristol and City under the unicorns followed by the letters F and C...Is this not the current badge?

Oh right, so it's the wording that makes the badge identifiable to our club. I stand corrected.

....So by your logic we could have a pirate set against a background of blue and white quarters as long as it's got 'Bristol City FC' written on it somewhere.

Jeez....

:disapointed2se:

Oh right, so it's the wording that makes the badge identifiable to our club. I stand corrected.

....So by your logic we could have a pirate set against a background of blue and white quarters as long as it's got 'Bristol City FC' written on it somewhere.

Jeez....

:disapointed2se:

To be fair to the other guy I feel a pirate has about as much to with our club as a robin. I don't see or understand the link between either Bristol or Bristol City then "a robin".

Its like the link between Easter and eggs - I just dont see how one represents the other.

Anyone that could explain either of these two phenomenon it would be much appreciated.

To be fair to the other guy I feel a pirate has about as much to with our club as a robin. I don't see or understand the link between either Bristol or Bristol City then "a robin".

Its like the link between Easter and eggs - I just dont see how one represents the other.

Anyone that could explain either of these two phenomenon it would be much appreciated.

I'll give it a go...

It may indeed be fair to question why Easter and eggs were linked in the first instance (I don't have the answer), but the fact remains that they traditionally have been for donkey's years, if not centuries.

Likewise, Bristol City Football Club's nickname is 'The Robins' and has traditionally been for years. Some people have indicated that they would like this changed (that is another argument), but as long as we are 'The Robins' I would suggest that a ROBIN on the badge has significantly more to do with our football club than a couple of bloody unicorns with a shield that has always been the crest of the city as a whole and has been/is used by countless organisations, sporting or otherwise.

All the best nick names have a story attached to them. We had a nick name with a story attached to it. The 'Bristol Babes' - completely unique and tells a story about the greatest side we ever had. Wouldn't it great if people asked 'why 'Bristol Babes?' We could tell our story of that team and what they achieved. Honestly, what can you say about the Robin? The nick name became popular because of a popular song back in the 40s?

I actually, don't have much against the robin at all, it is part of our recent history, but it was a 70s aberration dreamt up on a whim. Keep the crest celebrate 'the Babes'!

I'm not against the ideal of Bristol Babes, but If we are changing from the Robins becuase its not representably 'hard' enough, I'm not sure 'Babes' will do much more.

I dunno know, 'Bristol Babes' It has a ring to it. I also Like 'Bristol Bullets' 'Seversiders' (7Ciders) ©Ziderheads 'The Cider Drinkers', 'The Wurzuls'?

' Bridge Guardians Royal sleeper response team, England's first line of defence against a possible Welsh invasion '

might need to shorten that one down a little.

I'll give it a go...

It may indeed be fair to question why Easter and eggs were linked in the first instance (I don't have the answer), but the fact remains that they traditionally have been for donkey's years, if not centuries.

Likewise, Bristol City Football Club's nickname is 'The Robins' and has traditionally been for years. Some people have indicated that they would like this changed (that is another argument), but as long as we are 'The Robins' I would suggest that a ROBIN on the badge has significantly more to do with our football club than a couple of bloody unicorns with a shield that has always been the crest of the city as a whole and has been/is used by countless organisations, sporting or otherwise.

I really don't get it now! Your justification for the robin is that is is linked with us because it is linked with us somehow through history but as has been pointed out elsewhere isn't exactly exclusive to us as it is used by about 6 other teams that are all known for using far more than we are ...... But you don't like the current badge because it represents Bristol which we have nothing to do with apparently????

Sorry if im being a bit of cock but the way I see it is that the current badge is the badge of Bristol, we represent Bristol, we put our name under the badge. The Robin is our nickname so distinguishes us from any other club in Bristol but the Robin is used by many other clubs that are more famous for using it so doesn't distinguish us from these other football clubs. From this I think it dilutes the brand for us to use the robin in any way outside of the city and in any form of mass media where we are not well known for being the robins, most people looking at a fixture next year of the robins v Swansea would most likely think of Swindon (if they get promoted) v Swansea and probably wouldn't think twice about us so while it might help within the City to distinguish us from other these other organisations sporting or otherwise that you talk about surely we have to think bigger and need to show off a unique national identity which I cant see being the Robin whereas the badge does have a hell of a lot more history to it and is easily recognisable as Bristol City Football Club.

The badge is the sign of Bristol - we are Bristol City

I really don't get it now! Your justification for the robin is that is is linked with us because it is linked with us somehow through history but as has been pointed out elsewhere isn't exactly exclusive to us as it is used by about 6 other teams that are all known for using far more than we are ...... But you don't like the current badge because it represents Bristol which we have nothing to do with apparently????

Sorry if im being a bit of cock but the way I see it is that the current badge is the badge of Bristol, we represent Bristol, we put our name under the badge. The Robin is our nickname so distinguishes us from any other club in Bristol but the Robin is used by many other clubs that are more famous for using it so doesn't distinguish us from these other football clubs. From this I think it dilutes the brand for us to use the robin in any way outside of the city and in any form of mass media where we are not well known for being the robins, most people looking at a fixture next year of the robins v Swansea would most likely think of Swindon (if they get promoted) v Swansea and probably wouldn't think twice about us so while it might help within the City to distinguish us from other these other organisations sporting or otherwise that you talk about surely we have to think bigger and need to show off a unique national identity which I cant see being the Robin whereas the badge does have a hell of a lot more history to it and is easily recognisable as Bristol City Football Club.

I agree with you. I don't see how a robin can represent Bristol more than the Bristol coat of arms. The robin for me doesn't say anything about the club at all. It just tells me that the nickname became popular at a certain period, for no good reason and was later adopted as the club badge on a whim. It was then dropped again for the orignal badge, which we wore as far back as 1901 and even displayed in our cup final appearance in 1909.

I also don't get the irritation with the council etc. The council represents Bristol, Bristol City represents Bristol, so what?

As has already been said any old or new Robin badge will always look dated and will continually be replaced - who'll identify with a badge that keeps getting changed every 5 - 10 years?

No you are not being a cock, but you do seem to be reading things from my posts that I have not written.

Why on earth would I imply that we 'have nothing to do with Bristol'?? All that I have said is that the Coat of Arms represents Bristol, not our football club. Neither have I claimed that we are the only 'Robins' in the football world.

I'll try to simplify my point by reiterating an opinion that I have expressed on another thread.

IMO, if you were to show the Coat of Arms (minus the Bristol City wording) to most people in the country and ask them which football club it represents, I would imagine that a lot of them would not have the faintest idea. If you were to show them a Robin and the Clifton Suspension Bridge I'm pretty sure most would associate it with Bristol (because of the bridge) and City as opposed to Rovers (because of the Robin). Therefore I disagree with the last of your comments that I have highlighted as although the Coat of Arms is the crest of Bristol, I do not think it is easily recognisable as Bristol City 'Football Club' at all.

Would you be able to distinguish the Coat of Arms for Sheffield from the Coat of Arms for Liverpool? Maybe you would, but I'm sure most people would recognise Liverpool and Wednesday a lot easier by a Liver Bird and an Owl.

To clarify, for the above reasons, it is the Robin/Suspension Bridge badge that I would like to see return. The bridge is equally, if not more important to the badge than the robin.

So what are we looking for something specific to BCFC, something specific to South Bristol or something specific to Bristol?.

Just a thought what about the legend of Vincent and Goram the giants responsible for the Avon gorge (look it up there are plenty of sources) or are giants gay?.

This is probably the oldest Bristol legend of all and it's it is pertinent to our part of Bristol.

Badge = 2 giants + suspension bridge.

Nickname = the giants.

Mascots = 2 giants (Vincent & Goram).

Job done, SL or CS please pm me for my address to send my consultancy fee to.

This is probably the oldest Bristol legend of all and it's it is pertinent to our part of Bristol.

Badge = 2 giants + suspension bridge.

Nickname = the giants.

Mascots = 2 giants (Vincent & Goram).

Job done, SL or CS please pm me for my address to send my consultancy fee to.

Would the giants be sleeping? That's how we've been referred to for as long as I can remember! :)

Archived