IGNORED

Cult Terrace Heroes

MC Risk

every club has its legends, but who was your favourite cult city hero.......i guess some of the names that could come up are

Gow

ritchie

shaw

newman

dzieckanowski

taylor

goater

carey

maynard

murray

jordan

my personal favourite of all time was Alan Walsh, and i still consider him to be the best player in my time of supporting the club, cracking player creater and scorer of many goals, he was alway my hero when i first started watching footy as a young lad in mid 80's along with Bryan Robson.....glad he still has a role within the club he no doubt loves

Intersting topic as obviously a lot of people will have the same ones. Some people, however, will have some quite random ones for reasons known only to them.

First game in '93 so my list includes, off the top of my head -

Agostino (Possibly my all time favourite)

Basso

Barnard

Orr

Carey

Tinnion

Murray

Bell

Doherty

Cramb

Goater

Whilst I would not disagree with any of the names put forward thus far all heroes in a red shirt may I be allowed to be a little different and nominate a true cult TERRACE hero.........

One SIR Stoney Garnett

For years the man has been Bristol City through and through. Never to be seen without his trademark Red hat and feather and always 100% BCFC despite the way in which certain people at the club decided to pay him for his loyalty.

Yes, I would always agree that Gibson, Merrick, Hunter, Cheesley, Whitehead, Taylor, Riley, Walsh, etc. etc. will always be looked upon as legends at BS3 but in my humble opinion the name of Garnett in his own way deserves to be listed with the greats of recent years.

Probably Jacki for me

I was very young when he signed and my grandad always told me to play like him.

Course when he was younger, he had John Atyeo

as obvious as it sounds, It just depends on how long you've been watching city play.

the older fans will probably throw a fit about the younger fans having the likes of Carey, Murray, Doherty, etc. but they wernt around to see Walsh, Cheesley, Super Bob etc.

Each to their own and all that.

Probably Jacki for me

I was very young when he signed and my grandad always told me to play like him.

On the pitch or off it? Either way, great advice!

Many of mine already mentioned, one who isnt, Gary Shelton, always busy, got stuck in and knew where the goal was.

Whilst I would not disagree with any of the names put forward thus far all heroes in a red shirt may I be allowed to be a little different and nominate a true cult TERRACE hero.........

One SIR Stoney Garnett

For years the man has been Bristol City through and through. Never to be seen without his trademark Red hat and feather and always 100% BCFC despite the way in which certain people at the club decided to pay him for his loyalty.

Yes, I would always agree that Gibson, Merrick, Hunter, Cheesley, Whitehead, Taylor, Riley, Walsh, etc. etc. will always be looked upon as legends at BS3 but in my humble opinion the name of Garnett in his own way deserves to be listed with the greats of recent years.

Would have to agree.

The contribution life long fans like Stoney make with no financial incentive should never be overlooked.

On the pitch or off it? Either way, great advice!

Many of mine already mentioned, one who isnt, Gary Shelton, always busy, got stuck in and knew where the goal was.

He meant on the pitch, however, that went wrong so ended up playing like him off the pitch too.

So best of both worlds.

Steve Neville for me.

Me too. Neville and Riley together were a class act.

Carl Shutt

Dave 'smudger' Smith (what a winger)

Keith Waugh

Steve Galliers (what a tough nut for his size)

Rob Newman

Shaun Taylor (wish we had him playing at the moment)

John Pender

David Moyes

Steve Maclaren

Mark Gavin

Robbie Turner

John Shaw

Trevor Morgan

David Seal

Ray Cashley

Gerry Sweeney

Gary Collier

Geoff Merrick

Brian Drysdale

Clive Whitehead

Gerry Gow

Jimmy Mann

Trevor Tainton

Tom Ritchie

Paul Cheeseley

The team when I started following City and Gerry Gow and the Cheese were my heroes! What a side that was.

as my user name suggests , Glyn Riley for me. Wembley goals , 2 goals that helped sink the gas 3-0 in the season after our promotion from the old div 4. Magic.

What I wouldn't give for a strike force like Riley & Neville right now.

Anybody on here ever seen Atyeo play?

yep my old man used to be a ball boy in those days, and then sold programmes, snuck into crackers corner for free at halftime and watched the likes of atyeo, shadow williams and alec aisentrager to name a few.....

the miserable b@stard never goes down the gate anymore, as things are never the same anymore, and refuses to play 20 odd quid to watch sub standard football

Bob, Bob, Super Bob, Super Bobby Taylor

he was defo in the top 3 for me. I was too young to fully appreciate Tom Ritchie but what i did see of him was still sufficient to put him into my top 3 as well.

I think i would then have to put Rob Newman in there as well simply because he was, by the time he left, Mr Bristol City; he was a tall, lanky, skinny centre half and we molded him into a superb athlete. He epitomised grit and determination and that never say die attitude that Terry Cooper instilled in all his players.. something we lack today and he was with us in those horribly dark days of league 4 but boy did he turn into a class act... unless my spectacles are a bit on the dark side... somebody please tell me i am not totally deluded on that one. All i know is that it was players like these, all 3 of them, that kept me supporting City through thick and thin and by golly it was mostly thin back in the 80's. It was a darn sight cheaper to travel and see an away game then of course so i really have a huge amount of admiration for the City fans today who not only have a season ticket, at great expense, but also travel up and down the clountry.. costing them small fortunes. bravo to all of you.

Archived