IGNORED

Taking Young Son To Ag

city_pete

:rolleyes: Oh deary me Dolls, you should've spelt it out if you meant 'Season Ticket' .... because a lesser gentleman than I might have spotted the under 16 ST & thought you were referring to weight! ... then the cheeky shit might've went on to point it out on a public forum!! :) ...

...soz... :surrender:

I'd find yer passport if I was you :bruce_h4h:

Nogbad,

A convincing response. Problem I have is TobysMum.

You see when I had my season ticket in the Atyeo I took the lady that became TobysMum to a couple of games. At that time I sat behind the dad who took his young lad and slightly older daughter.

When father started early on with the effing cants and when his young lad and daughter started to cringe and tell him to sit down and be quiet I knew that prejudices would be formed.

When we go to Cardiff over the NY and are penned in and enjoy coins, pies and bottles of yellow water for 90 minutes, and at half time have a red and white and stone island bedecked youth kindly throw up all over us I know that any young uns we have won't be wearing replica kits or bibs.

And yet I bumble my way through all the good times that I've had where there have been as many good and memorable experiences as you mention and I know that its falling on death ears.

Rugby is the game for our little lad, isn't it?

Well it doesn't look like it is. He plays football more now than he does rugby and without ever having been he always asks "if we won". He'll go when the time is right, but at the moment that's now now. And the reason for that?

That bloody father who couldn't control himself and the LScott Murray" Cardiff game when Mr Stone Island had drank more Brains than his brain should have told him was good for him.

In the meantime I live in hope that male pressure (2 against 3 in our family) will overcome TobysMum's partly justified prejudices. Fingers crossed.

And if you take yours down, good luck - a bit of me is quite envious!

If you have a young child and want to take them to a game but not sure how they are going to behave or if they will even like it (possibly meaning you might have to leave early!) then my advice would be for a childs first game take them to a reserve match to see how they get on.

The reserve games mean you can still give your son the experience of going to the ground and watching the football amongst other supporters (all be it hundreds rather than thousands!) and as the games are reserve fixtures and not important league games then if you need to leave early then you wont feel so bad like you are missing out on vital City action.

Plus, the cost is low too! I dont remember the admission prices for reserve games off the top of my head, but Im sure young children are free, or very cheap.

Then, if thats a success - take him or her to a proper match!

I took my 4 year old to a reserve game and he was fine for the first half, sat there and watched the game fine - but in the second half he started playing up and wanting to run around so we left mid-way through the second half. He really enjoyed it, but I think just got bored as the game wore on and a typical child his attention drifted elsewhere.

I would take him to a game again, but probably give it another 6 months then see how he handles sitting down still for 90 minutes (he struggles sitting still for 90 seconds normally).

I'm sorry elfmud, but I dont think taking em to a reserve is a good idea - its more likely to put them off. How boring would it be for them!

The atmosphere/crowd is a big part of the attraction for kids.

Riaz I see your point and on one hand I agree, much of the enjoyment of a football match for a young child is the big atmosphere before, during and after the game which you wont find at a reserve match.

On the other hand, some kids might find that a little overwhelming on their first experience - especially younger children. Although probably 4 years old upwards shouldnt find it a problem.

So I guess its a bit of both - depending on how old and hyperactive your kid is!

Riaz I see your point and on one hand I agree, much of the enjoyment of a football match for a young child is the big atmosphere before, during and after the game which you wont find at a reserve match.

On the other hand, some kids might find that a little overwhelming on their first experience - especially younger children. Although probably 4 years old upwards shouldnt find it a problem.

So I guess its a bit of both - depending on how old and hyperactive your kid is!

Maybe the under 18's against the Brumies this coming Monday in the youth cup will be a good starting point, couple of thousand will be there hopefully so there will be alot better atmosphere than reserve game.

I am thinking of taking my young son (almost 3), do I have to buy a ticket or ok just to take in if he is going to sit on my lap, any one taken someone this age??

I don't know, starting him on the road to a life of misery! I've a good mind to call Social Services... :w00t:

I took my 3 yr old last season, but we left at half time. But thats how you start I suppose, they'll eventually get interested.

He was excited before hand and loved telling people after that he went to a city game..... But was bored when he was actually there!

Welcome to AG! :cool2:

My lad was bought a City kit by his grandad on the day he was born (only grandson) and it seemed as if he had the 'bug' when I first took him to the Gate (he was about 6 1/2). He went to his first away game on his 7th birthday (Palace, lost 4-2) then started going home and away for a while with me and my dad.

Coventry away when Sobario set up Nicky M for his usual thunderbolt and my lad didn't move when we scored, worrying thinks me. On the way home I asked him what's up? 'Don't get the City thing dad, I only go to keep you happy. I love football but not City'. I start thinking 'if he's a gashead, he can live in the shed, disown him, change his name etc etc' when he says 'it's Chelsea or nothing for me'. Relieved he wasn't gas, I promised to take him to Stamford Bridge which I duly did and they were sensational.

Unfortunately for me, he is now a diehard blue nosed Chelsea supporter and doesn't like City much atall!

Luckily, his little sister is City mad and we take the mickey out of the glory hunting blue nosed git together.

Well had great reservations taking him because of the weather, (especially his mother) but wrapped him up well sat at the front of the east end and although he was not sure exactly what was going on, no tears or fear. He enjoyed it mostly and singing city all the way home in the car. Did have to leave 15 mins early, but all in all a 3-0 win for City and a happy toddler and even happier father. Don,t regret the decision and everyone in the ground was very kind to him offering him sweets. COYR :dancing2:

Well had great reservations taking him because of the weather, (especially his mother) but wrapped him up well sat at the front of the east end and although he was not sure exactly what was going on, no tears or fear. He enjoyed it mostly and singing city all the way home in the car. Did have to leave 15 mins early, but all in all a 3-0 win for City and a happy toddler and even happier father. Don,t regret the decision and everyone in the ground was very kind to him offering him sweets. COYR :dancing2:

Glad he had a good time. You perhaps ought to whisper in his ear that not every match will be like that!!

Glad he enjoyed it. Thats the first steps and he will be wanting to go again.

MM

Superb. Really pleased he enjoyed himself. You're never quite sure how they'll respond to their first visit. You'll know it went really well when he insists you take him again and again.

Don't forget to tell him that sometimes we don't win!

I often have a spare child ticket or two for the EE so if you ever need one, just drop me a PM.

Paul ..

I'd just like to comment from a son's point of view...

I remember my dad buying me all the shirts and kits etc when I was a young un. My earliest memory of City is Brian Tinnion scoring THAT goal in the FA Cup away to Liverpool and I remember having that purple kit (incidentally all the lads I still play football with remember me for the purple and green shirt I always used to wear!) I didn't go to that game but I remember it happening and how my Dad and Grandad went on about it.

Unfortunately my dad had a battle on his hands to keep my interests in City, all my mates were Swindon fans, our manager at the kids team I played in had connections with Swindon and regularly took us on trips to Swindon Town where we would meet players and some of us were mascots etc... but it just wasnt the same!

I dont remember what age I attended my first game, and unfortunately dont remember who it was against, but I remember always wanting to go and it used to be a nice day out for me and my dad. The game I attended that lives longest in my memory is the City 1 Wolves 6 game! I remember loving the Pigs and the Wolf fighting!

I do remember a spell in my childhood where I didnt want to go to games, and can only think it may have been down to a bad experiance, maybe a very cold / wet day etc... But fortunately for me my Dad perservered and now I think I love City more than him... He cant justify the cost of going to games much anymore, however until this season I had a student ST for 4 years, but it is still the main thing we ever talk about, as said befroe there was definately a spell in my teenage years where I think that was literally the only time we would speak to discuss City or football in general.

He is now a regular watching our home town, Chippenham and goes home and away with mates, and whenever I am not playing I go with him, and must admit City is now 3rd choice on a Saturday due to travel, cost and the fact I got fed up of attending games alone. I would rather spend the day with my Dad at football, sadly even if that means its not at Ashton Gate anymore...

MarcusX - its a shame you don't seem to make it too often.

I often have a problem dragging my family to the football (and they have ST's I bought for them). Add to that my close friends are quite apathetic and I often go on my own, with a 3 hour round trip each time. TBH I quite enjoy it as I end up chatting with people I've never met before in the pub before the game and in the East End -I still enjoy matchdays more than anything else.

The money thing is always an issue though, appreciate that.

Nogbad,

A convincing response. Problem I have is TobysMum.

The answer is to marry a football fan, more to the point a Bristol City fan.

Some of my earliest memories of the now Mrs.The Bad was finding her making up the numbers in our minibus to an away match with her brothers when we had an extra space.

By her own admission it was originally as much a way of meeting boys as the excitement of a day out watching City, but a football fan she was and a Bristol City fan she became.

These days she only goes down the Gate a handful of times per season, usually when it's reasonable weather, but there was never any doubt any son of ours would be a BCFC fan, and with her full blessing

I really can't imagine a married life with a woman who had no interest at all in football generally or had any objection to me, or my son, watching Bristol City.

Far too many other potential problems in a marriage without being constantly at loggerheads with your wife about one of your main passions.

She's glued to the Leicester v Forest game in the other room at the moment - best go and join her for the 2nd half.wink.gifcity.gif

MarcusX - its a shame you don't seem to make it too often.

I often have a problem dragging my family to the football (and they have ST's I bought for them). Add to that my close friends are quite apathetic and I often go on my own, with a 3 hour round trip each time. TBH I quite enjoy it as I end up chatting with people I've never met before in the pub before the game and in the East End -I still enjoy matchdays more than anything else.

The money thing is always an issue though, appreciate that.

It is a shame because I love watching City, but going from £170/180 under21 ST to £300/400 was too big a step up this season unfortunately. However I wont try and put money as the main reason, I play every Saturday at a fairly decent level, so while I'm young and fit I would rather keep playing and make the most of my youth! 5/6 years time I'm sure I will have a ST again, regardless of City's fortunes in that time

Nogabd,

I realise the eroor of my ways. Problem was when I used to sit in the Atyeo with Matt and Dave none of us really fancied each other that much. And whenever we looked around the only ladies we saw weren't - to be honest - up to much.

And when I placed my ad in the EP the one thing I forgot to add was that the woman of my dreams had to have a passion for watching BCFC.........

Not to mention sitting in Matt's or Dave's seat when they couldn't attend and listening to "the students" discussing the finer points of the game - "is it Lewis or Lewey" - or the bespectacled father being berated by his ginger son and daughter for using foul language for 90 minutes.

Anyway do you think I have grounds for divorce? Mental cruelty for Toby for not actively encouraging him to watch the team of his father's dreams?

If I have and if I do, how do I go about replacing her? The current TobysMum is a looker mind you, and the new one would have to welcome 3 young uns and a cat.

Interesting thread.

I had always looked forward to taking my daughters down to the gate but as they are 4 and 2 i didnt think it would be for a while yet. Then a few weeks back my daughter asked me if she could come (Norwich at home).

I tried to make a day of it and as the weather was nice i took her to the park before the game and we then went in the BS3. The game was not great but i took lots of treats for her and bought her a a burger and candy floss at half time. She did figget (sp) a bit but she panicked when she thought the second half had kicked off and we were still by the burger fan.

At the end of the game to my amazement she asked if she could go again and now three games later she is the very proud owner of a ST and was holding it all the way home from the Sheff Utd game.

My advice would be..... Try to make it as interesting as possible for them and always have a back up plan. I took my MP4 player with some kids films on just in case she gets bored.

Archived