IGNORED

Roughest Pubs In Bristol

cockneyrobin

The Essex, Lord Rodney(now shut)(is that still Kingswood?)The Bell, The Archers(now shut), Chasers.

Surprised no-one has mentioned the Lebeq, Queens Head, or the Plough(all Easton)

Agree with a previous poster - The Worlds End - once visited - never returned (also the Mechanics Arms just up a bit is a tad strange)

Worlds End is not rough is it? I used to go in there years ago, good rockabilly/psychobilly pub, never any trouble, well 15 yrs ago at least. Dunno now/

The Worlds End is safer than the Mechanics, thats proper dodgy nowadays! I went in there for a quiet midweek pint with my sister and it kicked off as we were ordering, had to walk over 2 blokes sparked out cold on the floor. My mate lives by there and as he walked by one saturday afternoon a group of locals ran out and kidnapped him for half an hour, trying to feed him natch (dont think he complained) although was a very weird thing to do.

The pubs mentioned in Easton are all ok, the plough is more a new age pub, Lebeq has been fine everytime ive been in. The black swan is probably the worst in easton, along with the coach house. Both are now frequented by yardie's and best avoided.

Essex is ok, aslong as you dont mention your city. Shame the Archers gone, used to be an ok pub that! Chasers has always been a slum.

all this talk wants me to chalk off some new dodgy pubs, looking at the map i think ive done most of em though :(

What Pub in Whitchurch is that ??, (That's where i live !!!) The Harriers, Red Hart & Hartcliffe Inn are no goes (I Think the Red Hart as shut down)

I used to live by The Harriers and one New Years Eve some Scumbag beat another Bloke around the head several times with a Pool Cue, even when he was on the ground he wouldn't stop hitting him :no:

My sister lives in Stockwood, and one Christmas Eve we were in the now-demolished Antelope: On leaving at last orders, I remember looking back through the window and watching some lad getting battered with a pool cue, probably resulting from a disagreement about where to go for midnight mass.

Think i remember a series called 'Roughest Pubs in Britain' which once featured a boozer in Hartcliffe with some lively characters.

In your experience, which pubs would you steer clear of in Bristol?

Mine would be the aptly named 'Worlds End' in St.George, went there once and seemed like all the punters wanted a 'tear up'

I know a lad was stabbed outside there a couple of years back..

The 'Worlds End' is, in my mind, similar to The Barley Mow in Bedminster, both look like right sh*tholes but aren't that dodgy in my experience (although Ive only been in The Worlds End once).

The Golden Bottle in Lockleaze is not a very welcoming place and neither was The Progress in Coombe Dingle on a Weekend night, both of which seemed to be overtaken by Ratfaced Chavs who cant handle their Cider.

Other pubs Ive thought were a bit dodgy include, The Foresters (W-O-T), The Enterprise (or Elliots when I used to go there), The Fighting Cocks, The Hen and Chicken about 15 years ago and one in Hengrove which I think was called The Glass Cutter (didnt go back)

Two Pubs Ive never been to, The Happy Landings and The Venture Inn (closed), always seemed to have bad reputations. Is that justified?

The 'Worlds End' is, in my mind, similar to The Barley Mow in Bedminster, both look like right sh*tholes but aren't that dodgy in my experience (although Ive only been in The Worlds End once).

The Golden Bottle in Lockleaze is not a very welcoming place and neither was The Progress in Coombe Dingle on a Weekend night, both of which seemed to be overtaken by Ratfaced Chavs who cant handle their Cider.

Other pubs Ive thought were a bit dodgy include, The Foresters (W-O-T), The Enterprise (or Elliots when I used to go there), The Fighting Cocks, The Hen and Chicken about 15 years ago and one in Hengrove which I think was called The Glass Cutter (didnt go back)

Two Pubs Ive never been to, The Happy Landings and The Venture Inn (closed), always seemed to have bad reputations. Is that justified?

Oi ! I used to drink in there years ago , it wasn't that bad in the mid 80's to mid 90's but did go down hill a bit towards the end. The Giant Goram in Lawrence Weston , now there's a shithole for you. Played skittles in their once and the ball came out of the chute with dog shit on it!!

The thing is about most of the pubs mentioned in this thread , if you drink in them regularly you become known to most of the nutcases and they tend to leave you alone.

Stick with me on this one. Probably 1977/78 in our 1st division days I went to Derby to watch City with my old man and some of our mates. We found a boozer near the ground, the bar was full of Derby fans and the lounge was empty (remember the days when pubs had a bar and a lounge) we went in the lounge and had a few beers, just before we decided to leave the pub for the ground I decided I needed a dump and went to the toilets with a local newspaper too read.

After about 5 minutes a load of Derby fans ran into the toilet and there being 2 wc's and me being in one they all congregated in the other and locked the door. I thought that this was strange but finished my dump and walked out into the lounge which was empty, outside I could see my dad and our mates and all seemed ok, my dad said "take a look in the bar", I did and it looked as if a bomb had hit it windows, tables, chairs, jukebox and optics just totalled, my dad said all of a sudden a load of City fans ran into the bar and all hell broke out it was all over in less than a couple of minutes.

Anyway a City kiddie about 18/19 years old came up to me and my dad and said "Can I stay with you lot, i'm ******* shitting myself, I came up here with a coach from the Venture Inn Knowle, we left at 7 oclock this morning and I was the only sober bloke on the coach, last night they had had an all night lock in and before the coach got onto the Wells Road, a fight broke out on the coach and they've been fighting amongst themselves all the way up here. They have smashed up 3 motorway service station restaurants and are now coked up and when the coach stopped here I thought thank **** for that, I can escape now and they've done this. i'm going home by train, I don't care how much it costs".

So my nomination is The Venture Inn, Melvin Square, Knowle West.

Oi ! I used to drink in there years ago , it wasn't that bad in the mid 80's to mid 90's but did go down hill a bit towards the end.

:laugh: Fair play mate, It was actually a really nice pub in itself. When I lived in Coombe Dingle me and the wife would often go in for lunch but for some reason after dark on a Friday and Saturday it became a magnet for every chav within a 3 mile radius. A new landlord took over and (I believe) barred as many troublemakers as he could which left it a bit quiet on the weekends however he did put a Bristol City flag up in the bar.

I thought to myself "oh yes, this place is looking up" and then a week later all the windows were boarded up, apparently its going to be a nursery now. :pacifier:

Stick with me on this one. Probably 1977/78 in our 1st division days I went to Derby to watch City with my old man and some of our mates. We found a boozer near the ground, the bar was full of Derby fans and the lounge was empty (remember the days when pubs had a bar and a lounge) we went in the lounge and had a few beers, just before we decided to leave the pub for the ground I decided I needed a dump and went to the toilets with a local newspaper too read.

After about 5 minutes a load of Derby fans ran into the toilet and there being 2 wc's and me being in one they all congregated in the other and locked the door. I thought that this was strange but finished my dump and walked out into the lounge which was empty, outside I could see my dad and our mates and all seemed ok, my dad said "take a look in the bar", I did and it looked as if a bomb had hit it windows, tables, chairs, jukebox and optics just totalled, my dad said all of a sudden a load of City fans ran into the bar and all hell broke out it was all over in less than a couple of minutes.

Anyway a City kiddie about 18/19 years old came up to me and my dad and said "Can I stay with you lot, i'm ******* shitting myself, I came up here with a coach from the Venture Inn Knowle, we left at 7 oclock this morning and I was the only sober bloke on the coach, last night they had had an all night lock in and before the coach got onto the Wells Road, a fight broke out on the coach and they've been fighting amongst themselves all the way up here. They have smashed up 3 motorway service station restaurants and are now coked up and when the coach stopped here I thought thank **** for that, I can escape now and they've done this. i'm going home by train, I don't care how much it costs".

I think its safe to say that you have answered my earlier question about that pub. :laughcont:

The pubs mentioned in Easton are all ok, the plough is more a new age pub, Lebeq has been fine everytime ive been in. The black swan is probably the worst in easton, along with the coach house. Both are now frequented by yardie's and best avoided.

Seriously? Must confess it has been 25 years plus since I went in any of them.

Oh the pioneer keynsham is pretty nasty

Always seemed Ok whenever I went in there. They always used to have a disco on a Thursday night.(again 15-20 years ago)

I think that this discussion could quite easily be extended to nightclubs - Chasers and Busby's. Busby's was always a nice place - chavvy little see you next tuesdays launching their bottles from the upper levels onto the dance floor.

Always seemed Ok whenever I went in there. They always used to have a disco on a Thursday night.(again 15-20 years ago)

I think that this discussion could quite easily be extended to nightclubs - Chasers and Busby's. Busby's was always a nice place -

chavvy little see you next tuesdays launching

their bottles from the upper levels onto the

dance floor.

I went in there one Xmas eve about 12 years ago. I went for a piss about 10ish and while stood against the urinal two utter monsters started swapping punches over my head! 2 people got stabbed there a couple of months ago, 1 day after someone on the England forum said exactly the same as you :)

As for clubs, evolution was nearly always going off, but nothing will beat liberties and park side for pure edgy atmospheres. It just always seemed on the brink.

Fair enough re: The Pioneer!!

Don't know what Liberties is, but the Dark side was always full of divorcees and 40 something year old blokes - again never had a problem - a sad desperate place admittedly!

Perhaps you just have one of those faces AVIA?? :whistle2:

Golden bottle is fine especially with the old boys in the lounge. Gainsborough is more of a pub for the young'uns so there was all ways going to be lots of fights its like the school playground. Gone now though and i think the bottle has to the had a drink the bar dry the other week.

Liberties was a club like bar to the right hand side of Arnos manor, opposite side of building to Park Side.

Ive never had any trouble anywhere mind! Chicks dig the face, I don't want it marked xx

Fair enough re: The Pioneer!!

Don't know what Liberties is, but the Dark side was always full of divorcees and 40 something year old blokes - again never had a problem - a sad desperate place admittedly!

Perhaps you just have one of those faces AVIA?? :whistle2:

Went to an engagement party in the 'Function room' ( Ha) upstairs at the Venture about 1985

There was blood all the way up the stairs from a mass brawl , but the party carried on.

Was working behind the re-furbished 'Woods' (Withywood inn) a year later,

all the nutters (about 40 of them) who the landlord had barred, came in together and took the place apart,

like a scene from a wild west movie. I quit that night!

Slightly off topic but round about 1970 ish, me and my mates were having a sunday dinner hour pint in the Fulford inn, Hartcliffe and there were 4 guys sat around a table playing cards. The pub doors burst open and a woman came in dragging a young girl and boy about 7 or 8 year olds.

She went up to one the guys playing cards and screamed "there you are kids, that's your ******* father, we ain't ******* seen him all weekend, because he has been out on the ******* piss", she left the kids to rounds of applause. The guy who had'nt even bothered to look up gave his kids some money and told them to get lemonade and crisps.

5 minutes later the doors burst open again and the same woman carrying a full roast dinner came back in and slammed his dinner down in front of him screaming "and there's your ******* dinner, so you don't need to come home at all now", she grabbed the 2 kids and dragged them back out again.

The bar was in uproar cheering, applauding and hysterical laughing. The guy was brilliant yet again he did'nt bat an eyelid he just said "she could have brought me a knife and fork", at which a barmaid not only brought over a knife and fork but also salt and pepper and the guy just sat there proceeded to eat his lunch.

Archived