IGNORED

First Trip To Bristol

Dan Robin

Good evening

I'm organizing a journey to Bristol between 14th and 17th October, in order to visit the city and attend to a Bristol City match for the first time, so I would like to ask you some questions about the city and the stadium:

- I don't want to spend too much for an hotel, so I've chosen two hostels near the stadium: Rock N Bowl Hostel (22 Nelson Street, Bristol) or 007 Travelers Hostel (150-152 West Street, Bedminster, Bristol); does anybody know if these hostels are quite good?

- these hostels are 30-40 minutes far from the city centre (by feet)....are there bus lines that cover this way?

- do you know how much does the shuttle-bus of the airport cost?

Finally....I saw in the BC official site that it is possible to do a stadium tour...do you know if it is also possible to go seeing the players on the training ground? Because I would like to speak to one of the players, and maybe take a photo/an autograph, and I don't know if it is possible in the pre-match. And about the stadium...do you advise me to choose the Williams or the Dolman stand?

Thank you for reading and for your help ;) If I will manage to organize all and come to the stadium, I'd like to meet some and you for a beer and having some chat about our club ;)

Bye

The one in west street would be good for the ground etc, close to a few pubs, not far from town and can get the 76 (i think) bus into the centre. Be warned though, buses in bristol are very very rubbish.

The one in nelson street is basically in the centre of town, where the one in west street is about a 15 minute bus ride from the centre.

Good evening

I'm organizing a journey to Bristol between 14th and 17th October, in order to visit the city and attend to a Bristol City match for the first time, so I would like to ask you some questions about the city and the stadium:

- I don't want to spend too much for an hotel, so I've chosen two hostels near the stadium: Rock N Bowl Hostel (22 Nelson Street, Bristol) or 007 Travelers Hostel (150-152 West Street, Bedminster, Bristol); does anybody know if these hostels are quite good?

- these hostels are 30-40 minutes far from the city centre (by feet)....are there bus lines that cover this way?

- do you know how much does the shuttle-bus of the airport cost?

Finally....I saw in the BC official site that it is possible to do a stadium tour...do you know if it is also possible to go seeing the players on the training ground? Because I would like to speak to one of the players, and maybe take a photo/an autograph, and I don't know if it is possible in the pre-match. And about the stadium...do you advise me to choose the Williams or the Dolman stand?

Thank you for reading and for your help ;) If I will manage to organize all and come to the stadium, I'd like to meet some and you for a beer and having some chat about our club ;)

Bye

------------------------------------------------------------

The training ground is out in the country and not easy to get to but if your arriving on the Friday and going on the Monday I doubt if you would see any training anyway.

If you went to the ground early or stayed after the game you could meet them as they arrive, there isn't Inter Milan style security

I travel from France to games and if you are flying with Ryanair or Easyjet, try and book up about 2 or 3 months before, preferably when they have a sale.

Also if you book a budget hotel, Travelodge, Premier Inn etc roughly 2 Months before and again when they have a sale on, you can get very cheap deals and it's in the centre of town and probably better than a hostel. You can still get the Travelodge ( a new one has just opened not far from the station) on the Sunday for £25.

I'm coming back for that weekend so if you do manage to arrange it send me a private message we can try and meet for a beer.

I'm going to Sicily next week, are Palermo FC worth a visit?

Good luck with your trip.

Thank you for the informations!

@ Raphinfrance: Palermo FC is playing well at the moment, and on the next weekend they will play agains Siena, which is a little team but usually it's not easy to beat.

PS: could you explain me how i can bUY the match ticket online? I don't have a normal credit card, but a Visa prepaid card...can I use it? Do you know if I can pay in euros or I must change my money in pounds (same quesion about the hostels)? Finally...what is the better section of the Williams/Dolman stand to be not far from the pitch but also be able to see well?

Thank you very much for your help ;)

is 007 actually a hostel or is it a half way house? looking at the reviews on trip advisor i'm unsure. lived opposite it for a few years and never saw anyone come or go.

People go in but never come out. :shocking:

Thank you for the informations!

@ Raphinfrance: Palermo FC is playing well at the moment, and on the next weekend they will play agains Siena, which is a little team but usually it's not easy to beat.

PS: could you explain me how i can bUY the match ticket online? I don't have a normal credit card, but a Visa prepaid card...can I use it? Do you know if I can pay in euros or I must change my money in pounds (same quesion about the hostels)? Finally...what is the better section of the Williams/Dolman stand to be not far from the pitch but also be able to see well?

Thank you very much for your help ;)

To buy online, use this link ... https://www.eticketing.co.uk/bristolcityfc/default.aspx

You can pay by Visa (Electron or debit). Not sure if that includes pre-paid or not, but should work. Generally speaking cards convert automatically to the currency needed, so again shouldn't be a problem. If not, you can call the ticket office on 0871 222 6666 and can pick the ticket up on the day, or have it posted. TBF, you'll be able to pay on the day should you need to anyway. Blocks G and F in the Williams will have a slightly better atmosphere than the other blocks, but would generally recommend the Dolman maybe blocks C,D and E, which are more central and the upper tiers, so your view is less likely to be blocked by people filing out early after a home defeat to Peterborough.

Anyway, enjoy your trip and hope we improve before you get here!

I really wouldn't recommend the 007 mate. Its a flea ridden dive. I'd stay in the centre, like suggested above as you can take in some of our beautiful sights then. be sure to have a drink in BS3 on the road of the ground and The Three Lions West street to see lots of city memorabillia and to get a bit of a history lesson. Hope you enjoy your trip mate. COYRs

Yes, I prefer the Dolman but as Incider has indicated, unless there is a big group of you that want to sit together, I wouldn't bother buying the tickets until the day of the match. After all, the way things are going, Peterborough at home isn't going to draw a very big crowd.

You can use your Visa prepaid card anywhere in England that shows the Visa sign, including ATM machines to withdraw cash.

Finally I've decided to stay at the YHA, a hostel near the centre of the city (it's next to Prince Street).

I would like to ask you - newly - some questions:

1) having only one full day to visit the city, do you think doing an open-top bus tour could be a good choice to see the most important places of Bristol?

http://www.bristol-link.co.uk/entertainment/open-top-tourbus.htm

2) could you recommend me some cheap restaurants/pubs for lunch & dinner, or/and some ''nightspots'' to know some people? :)

3) I've not decided yet if I will buy the ticket online (using the ticketfast service) or at the ticket office on Saturday. Anyway...if I sat for example in the Dolman's F block, could I do a rapid tour of the stadium (I mean, going for exemple in the Williams block to take some photos before the kick-off), or the stewards don't allow that? Same question about my intention to talk/ ask for a photo to one or some players when they come on the pitch to do the pre-match warm-up.

Thanks ;)

How did you find it? Shame we lost!

I arrived very early to Ashton Gate, because I wanted to buy something in the Megastore (I bought a match programme and the book ''BC Miscellany'' :) ) and meet the players (luckily there were not many supporters waiting for them, so I could do photos with some of them :) ). Then, at 1.30 I had a meeting with David Lloyd: he welcomed me in an amazing way, showing me not only the stands, the pitch, the tunnel, etc., but also introducing me to Guy Price and Steve Lansdown :w00t: (and other people who works in the stadium), and finally I had also the opportunity to go with him into the restaurant, where he did an interview with Paul Cheesley and Gerry Sweeney !! :D

After such a fantastic pre-match, I was quite optimistic also about the match; the game IMO was entertaining, and I was satisfied by the performance of the team, even if the result was negative (and really undeserved :disapointed2se:).

That was my experience in Bristol as a football fan; as a tourist, I didn't have much time to explore properly the city, so I preferred to stay most of the time in the centre. Anyway....I liked Bristol very much: everywhere there are water and bridges, beautiful parks, churches, and monuments....and people were very friendly, especially when I asked for informations about the streets :surrender::whistle2: . On the evening/night I went to some pubs and locals...I enjoyed them , but my only regret is was that I didn't get to know at least a Bristolian girl (I didn't expected to see so many good.looking girls in England... :blush: )...damned shyness!! :unsure:

That's all! I would be happy to return to Bristol againt in the future...we'll see... :rolleyes:

Sorry we didn't have time to meet up in the end Dan, as I said in my text I ran out of time after the match, often the case on my visits nowadays.

Glad you had a good time and you must do it again now we have a new manager to lead us to greater things.

Oh, and the prettiest girls are in Bedminster, Gert Lush. :yes:

Bumping this thread.

First trip to Bristol for me and a couple of friends in a few week (match vs Leeds).

Can anyone give us some advice on good late night-pubs to visit? Mainly we're looking for good music (stone roses, oasis, james... that sort of stuff) or perhaps a pub with good live-acts?

Any other ideas on what we shouldnt miss? Just gonna stay for a few nights so dont really have much time.

Basically... give me the best you've got :)

Thanks!

Forgot to ask for any good shopping advice... mainly looking for fred perry, adidas, ben sherman, ellesse etc.

Anything to recommend?

Lots in and around the Galleries and Cabot Circle. All the major outlets that you'll find in any large shopping area. Its not as spread out as some in other City's.

Nine Below Zero are down the Fleece on 29th after the match. The Tunnels is closed for a private party which is unfortunate cos there are some cracking bands in there usually. I'm guessing that the Lions or the Miners Arms will have the Soul/Ska night but will check and post later,they're good nights.

Sounds very interesting. Would appreciate if you can report back with info on the Soul / Ska night. They usually have those on saturdays?

Sounds very interesting. Would appreciate if you can report back with info on the Soul / Ska night. They usually have those on saturdays?

Went in both on the weekend to check up. Sorry to say the blokes who do them must be booked elsewhere but no bother,you'll just have to go a bit farther into town to hunt some music down. It shouldn't prove too hard mate,there's plenty about. Good luck.

Archived