IGNORED

Football Players

cityfan

How many times have we heard thatplayers confidence is low, managers can't motivate them and that the manager needs to go. It's on here in another thread

A group of 30+ players are feeling low. Many are seasoned professionals. Been there, seen it all before. So what is it with a collective group of people, all pursuing their dream career that makes them feel so low and why does the manager always have to take the hit for how they feel? Is Millen that strong a personality that he has made 30 men feel low and depressed? I don't think so!

I think players can sometimes become a sorry bunch of individuals who use the sum of the collective group to gang up on one individual; the boss. They have experience, they are athletes, they are paid good money and they are looked after.

About time they took some responsibility and did something about it in return for everything they get that enables them to play for Bristol City

About time they did something that reflects the hard work that Millen and co no doubt put into make things happen

If the players had a problem with Millen I am sure that would have been known about before this season started so I doubt that is the case. People on here should focus more on the players when expressing their disappointment and far less on Millen. We can't keep changing managers and nor should we.

I do think though as a club we have made some obvious mistakes that we should have done everything possible to avoid

When we were looking for a new Manager post Johnson, Neil Warnock should have been our number one choice bar none. Myself and others at the ground talked about this at the time. Passionate and proven SEVERAL times at this level, there was no other manager to choose

Basso - Never should have let him go. Not only was he a great goalkeeper, the morale and tone he set within the team was critical I would say. Millen has this week said 'there were reasons why Basso left'. What were they?

Paul Hartley - Having enticed him to the club, he should never have been allowed to leave after such a short period if at all possible. The best outfield player at the gate for years

Lee Trundle - Johnson absolutely ruined him. Like many quality players, managers try to refine them and make them work harder! What a crock of .............We shoud have built a team round him

These three players alone could have been the spine of our team with one other in defence who we have not yet found. Caulker was clearly the guy, but that was just a loan

With the exception of a few players in the squad, personally, I think we are very ordinary. We are not a team, we don't play football because we can't with the players we have and with the squad, to be fair, Millen has had a crap time of it.

Trying to keep 30 Professional players happy all week/season is difficult. Yes, they are paid well, but training all week knowing you are never going to play for the first Team or have a bit part must be hard to be motivated for.

Stead, Woolford, Taylor, Reid, Clarkson,Bolaise, Ribiero,Cisse, Gerken,Lennox, Hunt, Johnson, Pitman, Stewart...All players that are either out of favour or play bit parts at the moment. Having them around training, trying to stay positive must be hard. Some are actually looking for other Clubs. Players talk...about wages, contract, other teams etc,etc.

Confidence comes from Results, self belief, belief in the manager and his tactics, and belief in the Club, and that you have made the right choice in signing for them.

Having so many players in our Squad that are not wanted, can't help the day to day feeling of the team. There must be a lot of glum faces around, which will have a negative effect.

In a perfect world, we need 14 experienced good players at this level, and the rest young hungry players looking to kick start their careers. And an Experienced manager and Coach that can direct them.

Imho, we are far from that at the moment.

Well why do we support such a big squad in the first place. Everyone seems to want cover and two people for all positions. Then there are the players coming through.

As a business model it is a joke and in terms of managing a team of people it is ridiculous.

Apparently 3 players last weeek or the week before refused opportunities to move out (Source: Leroy Rosenior). What does that say? MONEY MONEY MONEY

There are always players available on loan so get a smaller squad of the right players. If other players see a small squad that is good and doing well and they are approached by BCFC they are more likely to want to join. If they see 30+ players with poor morale at the camp and 2nd from bottom, then they are not going to want to come here.

If we don't 'ship out' then this could drag on for seasons. Basically the length of players contracts and being in League one, should that happen with this squad and wage bill would be financially disasterous

Lastly, when you bring in players, don't waste their talents like we did with Lee Trundle among others. Pitman was brought in because he was a goalscorer. If that is still the belief play him up front. If he is not good enough for that position then he is not good enough for BCFC because we shouldn't be playing him in any other position. AND, if we do play him, PLEASE let him take the penalties. Cool as a cucumber and places them unlike B****y Maynard!!!!!!!!!

How many times have we heard thatplayers confidence is low, managers can't motivate them and that the manager needs to go. It's on here in another thread

A group of 30+ players are feeling low. Many are seasoned professionals. Been there, seen it all before. So what is it with a collective group of people, all pursuing their dream career that makes them feel so low and why does the manager always have to take the hit for how they feel? Is Millen that strong a personality that he has made 30 men feel low and depressed? I don't think so!

I think players can sometimes become a sorry bunch of individuals who use the sum of the collective group to gang up on one individual; the boss. They have experience, they are athletes, they are paid good money and they are looked after.

About time they took some responsibility and did something about it in return for everything they get that enables them to play for Bristol City

About time they did something that reflects the hard work that Millen and co no doubt put into make things happen

If the players had a problem with Millen I am sure that would have been known about before this season started so I doubt that is the case. People on here should focus more on the players when expressing their disappointment and far less on Millen. We can't keep changing managers and nor should we.

I do think though as a club we have made some obvious mistakes that we should have done everything possible to avoid

When we were looking for a new Manager post Johnson, Neil Warnock should have been our number one choice bar none. Myself and others at the ground talked about this at the time. Passionate and proven SEVERAL times at this level, there was no other manager to choose

Basso - Never should have let him go. Not only was he a great goalkeeper, the morale and tone he set within the team was critical I would say. Millen has this week said 'there were reasons why Basso left'. What were they?

Paul Hartley - Having enticed him to the club, he should never have been allowed to leave after such a short period if at all possible. The best outfield player at the gate for years

Lee Trundle - Johnson absolutely ruined him. Like many quality players, managers try to refine them and make them work harder! What a crock of .............We shoud have built a team round him

These three players alone could have been the spine of our team with one other in defence who we have not yet found. Caulker was clearly the guy, but that was just a loan

With the exception of a few players in the squad, personally, I think we are very ordinary. We are not a team, we don't play football because we can't with the players we have and with the squad, to be fair, Millen has had a crap time of it.

Hartley was class and Maynard loved playing with him, he just got homesick, shame. Why did Basso leave? Depends on who you ask. I just think it was a clash of personality's.

Yeah, results game, confidence, moral is low, this is good. It is now we see who the men are, and who buckles under the pressure.

Many a time over the years the problem has been over confidence of the "We just have to turn up to win" variety. Swindon this season is the latest example, Sheff Wed last season another. I hope Keith's "I'm not worried about Hull" remark is not another example but just badly chosen words (again). The one and only thing Pulis got right was when he said we had too many players who thought they were better than they were. Johnson changed the mindset for a while but the culture of the club remains a pretty cozy one imo and I fear that mindset still prevails.:fastasleep:

There is definately a problem at this Club, that is underlying.

Over the years we've had numerous Owners, Managers, Coaches, Trainers, Scouts and Playing Staff...and yet we make the same old mistakes, again and again. There must be something in the Water...

Our biggest problem imho, is that we have never attracted a proven decent manager to this Club.

I can only speak from Alan Dicks Era, but when you look at the list of managers we have had since then, only Steve Coppell has done anything at this level and above prior to joining us. Pullis is now doing well at Stoke...and Hodgeson doing well but all the others are now in lower leagues or are Assistants or Retired.

Coppell walking from here, spoke volumes to me. It only confirmed what i've been told from 3 previous managers on this list, that BCFC are run like an Amateur outfit.

Alan Dicks 19671980

Bobby Houghton 19801982

Roy Hodgson 1982

Terry Cooper 19821988

Joe Jordan 19881990

Jimmy Lumsden 19901992

Denis Smith 19921993

Russell Osman 19931994

Joe Jordan 19941997

John Ward 19971998

Benny Lennartsson 19981999

Tony Pulis 1999