IGNORED

David James

Nugget

Obviously there are different stories about internal clashes which may or may not be true, but perhaps if any if this is correct it's because James is frustrated with Millen/Wigley's approach.

* Comes over as very knowledgeable - certainly in his column and in interviews.

* Keen to get into Management - think he has a release clause for that.

* Contacts in the game.

* Not afraid to give out a rollicking.

If things weren't as bad as they are - the morale at the club seems rock bottom, relationships with other players are rumoured to not be great, I would say give the guy a chance.

The general opinion seems to be a complete fresh start with people that will give everyone an opportunity to impress - the likes of Cisse who could be revitalised under a new structure and I fully support that.

With the board having taken a similar approach with Millen it's probably unlikely, but surely if Millen is to go a conversation about using James could happen. Time will tell!

I don't think the OP was suggesting this as a permamanent arrangement but just in a caretaker role.

That would give us time to see who else becomes available, make approaches to people, all in the interest of the long term future of the club, rather than just seeing who's without a job at the moment.

Maybe Warnock will get the sack at some stage this season? Could Holloway be persuaded? Maybe SL sees them as better long term options that Jones or Davis, even assuming they would come?

There's certainly no other obvious options within the club: Louis possibly as the 'senior' pro??

I think James is different to Tinman and Millen as he's played at the highest level for most of his long career and is bound to have many contacts. Saying that, I dont think we should risk putting him in charge as there are a few proven championship managers avaliable. I think James will be a more successfull manager than Millen in the future though.

Maybe ok as caretaker but if MIllen goes soon then we'd have 2 weeks to get a new boss in so shouldn't need a caretaker.

I would suggest the first thing the new manager needs to do is make sure James is dropped, and try and ship him out. The last thing it appears we need is to encourage James to stay...

Great idea, then our ex Colchester Reserves goalkeeper can come in and shore up our defence.

I wanted to suggest something like this in a different thread but feared the reaction!!!

I certainly wouldn't say he should be the next manager but how would people feel about him being an assistant? This is presuming the new man doesn't want to bring his own backroom staff and that his appointment wouldn't damage the morale of the squad. Totally agree he comes across as a good thinker and a presence in the dressing room that would be respected. Would be foolish to give him the job now but definitely management material in the future and hopefully at AG (Or even AV!)

Great idea, then our ex Colchester Reserves goalkeeper can come in and shore up our defence.

if rumour is to be believed and he's on 25 grand per week, I'd rather have the former colchester reserve flapping around than james flapping around making a pigs ear of things. do you really reckon he justifies such an astronomic wage?

onto the original point, can he offer anything at managerial level? quite possibly. but without any managerial pedigree to speak of appointing him, like other posters have noted, would be a side way step and not the wisest move as we baton down for what is clearly going to be a struggle... And yes, on a general note, I wouldn't be averse to seeing him vanish entirely from BCFC. cheers dave, but bye.

No.

Just no.

No more....young and upcoming managers.

To many risky appointments have been made in recent years by the club, the only decent decisions City have made in recent years in turns of manager appointments were Ward, Wilson and Johnson, the rest for one reason or another have been risks and have ended badly.

When the new man comes in and gets rid of all the coaching staff , there will be a position for a GK coach up for grabs. Give that to James to give him his first opportunity at coaching and get a new keeper in.

No.

Just no.

No more....young and upcoming managers.

To many risky appointments have been made in recent years by the club, the only decent decisions City have made in recent years in turns of manager appointments were Ward, Wilson and Johnson, the rest for one reason or another have been risks and have ended badly.

yeah, no experience like Steve copp...oh wait. Agree, no appointing from within

If previous boards had applied the criteria used on here (James having no previous managerial experience) then City's two greatest managers (Thickett and Dicks) wouldn't have ever been appointed! Furthermore, Joe Jordan would not have led us to promotion and a League Cup Semi-Final.

David James is a very intelligent bloke and would, I am sure, appoint an experienced number 2. He has a standing in the game and knows our team and what needs to be done. Just because Millen and Tinman didn't work it doesn't mean we have to only appoint 'experienced' managers after all Coppell fell into that category, as did Danny Wilson, Bob Houghton, Denis Smith and a whole procession of others who did little for us. If all other clubs adopted this mentality, no new managers would ever be appointed and the pool of experienced managers to choose from would dwindle by the year.

It's clear James is intelligent, if you read his columns - which, I understand, are his own work not 'ghost written' by journalists, as is the case in a number of other player pundits.

However, I think the media rather than management would appear to be his future career. I'd not want to see him given the post here, we've had one too many 'experiments' in that field.

For a start, he'd play himself in goal, rather than bringing in the loan keeper we clearly need. And you don't really get a great view of what's going on all around the pitch when you're stuck between the posts.

Also, he hardly seems to have inspired the players around him. Despite his experience, we seem worse organised at defending from set pieces than I can remember for a long-time. Maybe there is something in this talk of him being an unpopular and divisive figure in the dressing room....

I think that David James would actually bring a very different approach to what we've seen already. Tinnion and Millen are held as examples of 'don't promote from within', and that argument has some merit, but both T and M's main base of experience only came from working at City. Their mentors were the same, in the large part, underachieving managers that we've all seen.

The 'fresh broom' approach could still apply with David James even if he has been here a year. He's worked at the top level, with some of the world's best coaches for his whole career. Tinnion worked for Danny Wilson.

Each time I read James' Observer column, or listen to him interviewed, he seems to come over quite well. That doesn't mean he would make a good manager, but if he was an interim appointment, I would fully support him.

I respect your opinion Red Robbo, and football is all about opinions (we have very little else to entertain us). But some of the greatest managers have been somewhat aloof and divisive. Brian Clough springs to mind immediately, and his number two was a goalkeeper.

I do agree that James would find it a bit more difficult than most player-managers to obtain a view of the match from his position between the posts at one end of the ground, as in all my time watching football, I can't ever recall a City manager watching, and dictating, proceedings from a position in the East End or from a seat in the Atyeo.

Im hoping we wont need a caretaker.

Once Lansdown pulls his finger out and gets shot of Keef, The new man should be straight in the door.

This needs to happen now, give the new man time before Peterborough at home.

If we need a caretaker, No! to David James. He seems to be a factor within the club why we are in this mess.

Him as caretaker would be another awful decision by the board.

Obviously intellect doesn't necessarily equate to success in management. I recall Ray Wilkins being touted as a future great manager towards the end of his playing days, and nothing came of that. But there seem to be a fair few people on here who think that to be a successful manager one needs to have experience. I would beg to differ. I would even go as far as to say that by and large managers seem to do best with their FIRST appointment; thereafter they seem to do less and less well. Dave Jones is being touted on here, and I wouldn't be against his appointment, but I reckon he did better at Wolves than he subsequently did at Cardiff, so who is to say he wouldn't continue that trend and do even less well with us.

Joe Jordan's best days in management were in his first spell with us; Danny Wilson in his first job with Barnsley, Bob Houghton with Malmo, etc, etc.

It would be a gamble and an interesting gamble but I'd have reservations. I don't think he particularly enjoys coaching so the key to success would be employing a great coach alongside him and then it's a question of whether he has the contacts and managerial qualities to transform the Club. It would be risky and many thought the likes of 'thinking' ex-players such as Tony Adams would succeed in management and they haven't. Looking at some of the very successful past and present managers they are all ones who had, at best, lacklustre or unfulfilled playing careers - Adkins, Warnock, Graham Taylor & even Ferguson. I don't think James would have the man management qualities as would get players backs up judging by his manner on the pitch. Goalkeepers can be a bit 'individualistic' and haven't made good managers in the past. I do think the likes of Basso (and Scott Murray) are more of the type of characters the Club need in some kind of motivational & coaching roles in the 'boot room'. With all the reservations he might have a brilliant strategy and plan to transform the fortunes of the Club so he'd certainly be worth an interview.

When the new man comes in and gets rid of all the coaching staff , there will be a position for a GK coach up for grabs. Give that to James to give him his first opportunity at coaching and get a new keeper in.

Absolutely spot on... being honest exactly what i was thinking but 6 months ago.. I knew Millen wouldnt be up to the Job and should have left when GJ did... Regarding DJ being coached by Stuart Naylor....hmmmmm..

Absolutely spot on... being honest exactly what i was thinking but 6 months ago.. I knew Millen wouldnt be up to the Job and should have left when GJ did... Regarding DJ being coached by Stuart Naylor....hmmmmm..

One problem .. DJ has said in an interview with City that whilst he would like to go into management and is doing his coaching badges he doesn't particularly like coaching.

I'd love to have Basso as a goalkeeping coach here and also get him acting in some kind of motivational role for the rest of the squad.

Archived