IGNORED

Sport And Football Presenter Roger Malone Back On The Radio

Never to the dark side

"... and welcome to Ashton Gate for this top of the team table clash against QPR ... and there goes the half-time whistle for half-time ..."

Ah simple times, happy days!

1974-09-14Malone.JPG

Roger was a man ahead of his time as far as ITV is concerned, in that he used to miss out goals in edited highlights! ITV have ony managed to do it in live broadcasts!:disapointed2se:

I had the pleasure of meeting Roger malone after a game of golf up at Bristol and Clifton last summer (he was playing with Alan Dicks) and he was a great laugh.

I always remember his lowest / finest hour was as presenter of the midweek football show on HTV where he was arguing with Mr Chilcott during the break. We came back to the program wih Mr Malone uttering the famous words .......... ' that's bollocks Gareth...and welcome back to Sportsweek'.

TV gold was Roger!

To bris red - the patronism of a 'nil' comment was great. Obviously i didnt know that. Having understood football scores for over 30 years, hav u ever heard a match described as nought nought?? Clearly nil nil is the terminology most recognised. Nought nought was a clear mention of a commentators inability to recognise a clear footballing term

Regards

Fella

At one of the annual end of season pitch invasions in the 80's Roger Malone was left stranded in the commentary gantry as hundreds of City fans on the pitch pointed up at him with repeated renditions of his 'special chorus'. He was stuck up there for at least half an hour.

I remember being in the Wedlock's pre match one evening when we were playing Rovers. Ian Seymour made the mistake of popping his head through the door but thought better of it and beat a hasty retreat when he was spotted and the whole pub erupted into the 'poor little gashead' song.

Bit harsh on Roger Malone as he apparently favoured City, no idea about Seymour though.

Bloke was a legend; idiosyncracy at it's eccentric, magical, best.

". . . a bolt from the blue from the men in blue!"

"Pick THAT out the back of the net you lads from Crewe" (on God's hat trick at AG)

"Bob Taylor proving there that Lady Luck (dramatic pause for the ball to strike the crossbar) can be a fickle friend" (v. the sags, I think?)

if only we could get him commentating live on Player or something for the Millwall game!!!

COYR :city: :city: :city:

if only we could get him commentating live on Player or something for the Millwall game!!!

Really? I remember digging up an old VHS tape some time back. It was the live match between City and Derby from the Baseball Ground in 1992. HTV West sent their own live commentary team. My god the coverage and commentary was nothing short of amateur.

I had the pleasure of meeting Roger malone after a game of golf up at Bristol and Clifton last summer (he was playing with Alan Dicks) and he was a great laugh.

I always remember his lowest / finest hour was as presenter of the midweek football show on HTV where he was arguing with Mr Chilcott during the break. We came back to the program wih Mr Malone uttering the famous words .......... ' that's bollocks Gareth...and welcome back to Sportsweek'.

TV gold was Roger!

a long post ciderup, I'll shorten it a bit

..had the pleasure of meeting Roger he was playing with Dicks and was great.

I remember Malone was with Mr Chilcott uttering the words .......... ' that's bollocks..'

:)

Anyone remember a young Mark Lawrenson cutting his teeth with HTV West Sport? I distinctly remember him being the expert pundit for the 4-2 hammering we gave the Gas at Trumpton. 1. Because he called them City at one point. 2. Because a stack of what sounded like video tapes fell over somewhere in the studio during the summary!

Gloriously amateur days :laughcont:

Really? I remember digging up an old VHS tape some time back. It was the live match between City and Derby from the Baseball Ground in 1992. HTV West sent their own live commentary team. My god the coverage and commentary was nothing short of amateur.

Was that when we won 4-3? Was at that game, had it on tape for ages only for it to disappear!

Was that when we won 4-3? Was at that game, had it on tape for ages only for it to disappear!

Yeah, Paul Simpson scored a hat-trick for them and we came back from 3-1 down to win.

Wayne Allison, Junior Bent, hilarious own goal by Andy Comyn about 8 seconds after coming on as sub and a penalty (Martin Scott I think) were the goals.

The commentary by Malone and Lawrenson was hilarious, best bit is when Roger was rabbiting on about nothing and all of a sudden he says "Hello? What's this? It's a goal!"

Another line at a free-kick is: "He's going to pump it long into the box and cause Derby some real problems." (beat) "No, he's hit a low one and given it away."

Archived