IGNORED

Funniest Memory At The Gate

redsquirrel

bound to have been done countless times but whats the funniest thing you have seen there?

i remember standing just left behind the goal in the east end at half time,must have been forest looking at our history, and bowyers walking round the edge of the pitch throwing pork pies into the crowd.

i was too small to challenge for one but found it highly amusing watching Peter Shilton ducking from them when the second half started.

it was definately shilts and div 1, didnt miss a game in those days

There was a big "no standing" initiative in the dolman a few seasons ago and they printed a load of leaflets that got left at the back of the B-block...

We spent most of the game making paper aeroplanes and in a drab and dreary game (shock) the biggest cheer was when one of the Planes reached the pitch!!

Tickled me anyway...

Does anyone remember the game at home to Notts County, probably early 90's, County had a keeper called Steve Cherry and he was, well quite fat to be polite, he made some howlers that day and for a large portion of the game he took abuse (in unison) from 90% of the crowd, I have never laughed so much at a game, I was horse from singing you fat bastard for days.......great memories (especially as we won).

Pompey sat in the Dolman, that was pretty funny.

During a Middlesboro night match when Osman was player/manager and we were getting dicked again and playing awful and he was roundly being booed for taking Dziekanowski off at half time, Late in the game City had a free kick in a dangerous position just outside the penalty area towards the Park End. I was actually with my missus and as City were lining up the kick etc. there were 3 guys stood next to us and one of them started to walk out of the ground and one his mates shouted "where are you going?", he replied "into the park getting ready to find the ball".

Doing the Congo around the Dolman on our last game of 99/00 when we were relegated was quite fun. (not the relegation, obviously)

Then watching the Stewards chasing a young lad around a near empty Eastend. don't think anyone was watching the game, to be honest !!

"Refereee, you... BADGER!"

"Badger? wtf you on about?"

"I don't wanna swear there's kids about"

"Lino, you grey haired Salmon"

"Refereeeee, you've only got a moustache 'cos your mother had one"

"You're in a pickle now, Branston"

All from the same bloke in the Atyeo. anyone know if this bloke still sits in there?

Two stand out in my mind - both in the 1970's, and both involve half time "entertainment". The first was Llama's being brought into the ground. Bowyers were sponsoring the game and some girls had been throwing pies into the crowd just before the llamas appeared. As these shy retiring nervous animals appeared and were walked toward the East End, the bloke on the PA suggested that the crowd kep quiet. Not a bloody hope in hell! As soon as they were in range they were met with a hail of Bowyers most stale and the llamas pegged it back toward the Park End leaving evidence of their nervousness up the length of the pitch. The other involved a Police Dog display. At the end, the alsatian (decked in red) had to chase the Policeman (decked out in sky blue - like our Coventry City opponents). The dog was let loose and a roar went up from the crowd - which seemed to confuse the dog. The roar got even louder when the dog fetched the poor cop down by his unprotected arm (much to everyone's delight). No idea what happened about the cops arm or indeed his dog

I think it was Bury at home on a tues night last time we were at this level (relegation season), pitiful game (about 2/10 for entertainment) and some bloke stood up in the Ateyo at a quiet moment and yelled; "(Soren) Andersen you useless ****, get off the pitch" and literally about 20 seconds later Anderson scored out of nothing. Cue a rousing chorus of "sit down shut up..." towards this fella. People were loving it; quite amusing.

Does anyone remember the game at home to Notts County, probably early 90's, County had a keeper called Steve Cherry and he was, well quite fat to be polite, he made some howlers that day and for a large portion of the game he took abuse (in unison) from 90% of the crowd, I have never laughed so much at a game, I was horse from singing you fat bastard for days.......great memories (especially as we won).

rembere both well didnt cherry gvie us all the wanka sign when they scored??:laughcont:

I think it was Bury at home on a tues night last time we were at this level (relegation season), pitiful game (about 2/10 for entertainment) and some bloke stood up in the Ateyo at a quiet moment and yelled; "(Soren) Andersen you useless ****, get off the pitch" and literally about 20 seconds later Anderson scored out of nothing. Cue a rousing chorus of "sit down shut up..." towards this fella. People were loving it; quite amusing.

I was guilty of a similar thing once. Dave Cotterill (soon to be our most overvalued player in history) picked the ball up on the right and proceeded to wander across the pitch in meandering run to somewhere near the opposite corner flag. I shouted out "where the **** are you off to now Cotterill?" with that he dropped his right shoulder, stepped inside the defender and curled the ball into the bottom corner. I was too shocked to even cheer and was given an "assist" by those sat around me. I think it was against Huddersfield?

Back in the 70`s Roger Malone was the commentator (useless) the East End were singing "we all agree Roger Malone is a W_ _ker"

Over the tanoy at half time came the announcement, "would everyone please stop singing about Mr Malone,

Yeah right, then the whole of Ashton gate came back singing

Was hilarious

Greg goodrich's debut, I think against blackpool?? One of their fans had a huge bass drum and then a city fan who I think was supplied the worlds smallest drum tried to respond ,, there was some guy with a trumpet who was sounding the Calvary charge every time Goodrich ran with the ball. I think we won 6:0 that night to cap it off.

Back in the 70`s Roger Malone was the commentator (useless) the East End were singing "we all agree Roger Malone is a W_ _ker"

Over the tanoy at half time came the announcement, "would everyone please stop singing about Mr Malone,

Yeah right, then the whole of Ashton gate came back singing

Was hilarious

will never forget that sound,

i used to thumb a lift in from nailsea every game with my brother,someone always stopped for us,one day,this little moggy thou van pulled up,

we both had to squeeze into the passenger seat but didnt care,it was a lift,once in and on our way,we found out what the funny smell was,the back was full of headless pigs hanging up

used to get some quality pre-match entertainment those days,real superstars.

like the nolan sisters :mf_sleep::laughcont: :laughcont:

I was guilty of a similar thing once. Dave Cotterill (soon to be our most overvalued player in history) picked the ball up on the right and proceeded to wander across the pitch in meandering run to somewhere near the opposite corner flag. I shouted out "where the **** are you off to now Cotterill?" with that he dropped his right shoulder, stepped inside the defender and curled the ball into the bottom corner. I was too shocked to even cheer and was given an "assist" by those sat around me. I think it was against Huddersfield?

We've all done it. I was watching York City (my second team via the missus' clan) a few years ago and said, rather loudly than intended, that a player was showboating. A minute later he went on a barnstorming run and set up a goal. Bloke next to me who I didn't know turned round and said "the lad showed you didn't he?" I agreed and the guy then said; "If I'd known my son was going to get this sort of attitude I'd never have persuaded him to sign for you"; that was me told! Ended up the guy was Neal Bishop who went on to be quite a player till moving on to league football.

Another good moment; Reading at home (we won 3-1, Beadle scored and Billy Mercer saved a pen), John Salarko was playing for Reading. Was taking a corner in front of the Ateyo and was getting dog's abuse. Final word was some guy shouting "Salarko; you're a t***!" to which he turned around, pulled a goofy face and waved maniacally at the crowd. It was hilarious and everyone cheered and clapped him, and later cheered him off the pitch.

Good old fashioned banter, and always had a soft pot for him since. For all the oversensitive blokes nowerdays who can't talk a bit of mild abuse along with their thousands of quid a week should take a lesson from the like of Salarko.

All of the funniest moments at Ashton Gate happened in the corner of the old Enclosure by the East End in the mid 80's. The best was during a game played over Christmas against Brighton when 2 particularly drunk and large-chested blonde ladies treated us all to repeated views of their ample charms! and we won 5-2!

Also the regular winding up of opposition players was great. I remember Gillingham's Carl Airey and a bald Blackpool keeper getting spectacular abuse and responding with a flick of the V's

The great Terry Cooper, 40 years old coming on as sub against Reading, dribbling the ball in what seemed like slow motion.

Past one, past two, three, nobody could get the ball from him as his young team mates just seemed to stand and watch.

Eventually after what seemed like about 5 minutes and after much encouragement from the crowd, he had woven his way to the edge of the Reading box, swung a very tired left foot hoping to score the goal of the century.......

It flew high over the terracing towards the park, TC collapsed exhausted in a heap on the pitch surrounded by laughing players from both teams as well as the Ref.

Great times, great man.

The game they gave away free programmes, and we got stuffed 3 nil or something, when the final goal went in, it seemed like the entire dolman stand lobbed their programmes pitch-ward all at the same time.

Also the chant of "what's that hiding under the bed, it's Shannon Matthews, it's Shannon Matthews!" when all that was going on.

The Gary Johnson headbutt and trip were also funny

Pompey in the Dolman, what a day :boxing:

funniest memory was a mate being attacked and throtled by an old geezer for talking too much. or the open end, during a totally crap, cold game, bursting into a random rendition of the rainbow tune "up above the streets and houses, rainbows climbing high" :D

tbh, though, the banter in the old terraced east end used to be magic, the insults flying, the songs belted out, every game felt like a top laugh, I wish I'd seen more of it, only caught the tale end of standing behind pillars 3 and 4 :(

Archived