IGNORED

Funniest Memory At The Gate

redsquirrel

weren't there some chants of "let's pretend we scored a goal" too?:laughcont:

It was undoubtedly a bizarre game. I seem to remember random chants of "All we are saying is give us a goal".

The PG Tips chimpanzees in the 70's was bizarre, as was the Llama incident mentioned by others.

[sigh] The 70's did proper half time entertainment ;)

I also remember a 0-0 at Roker Park(Martin Scott sending off - Andy Cole at LB) when Don Goodman fell over just in front of us, testicle popping out of the side of his shorts, to which one wit shouted "GOODMAN - WE CAN SEE YOUR SNATCH" - fair play to the bloke, he saw the funny side.

Ex Gas Brian Parkin in goal for Wycombe at the Gate. He'd already had a bit of a howler from what I can remember and was getting a lot of abuse. He then came rushing out of his goal and caught the ball outside the penalty area and promptly got sent off. Never have I seen a man look so defeated and resigned to his fate - having to walk down the tunnel in the Atyeo to a sea of fans waving "cheerio"! We then scored from the free-kick. Can't have helped they had seemingly put their shortest outfield player in goal.

I was in fits I tell ya, fits!!

Years ago during a freight rover cup match I think in front of around 2,000 people Mark Gavin and opposition player contended for a ball in front of the Williams. The linesman gave the opposition a throw in and Mark Gavin screamed in the face of the linesman in a high helium pitch voice..."I didn't touch it you ****t" to the amusement of the whole ground who heard it.

It was so high pitched I laughed so much I was crying!

MM

Not at AG but funny nonetheless.

December 98, when Pulis was our manager, there was a rumour that Portsmouth were going to take him off our hands.

We were away to Brentford on Boxing Day and there were thousands of us at Griffin Park. We were 2-0 down and the

team were doing a fair impression of the Keystone Cops.

Almost as one the chant went up from City fans of, "Pulis for Portsmouth, Pulis for Portsmouth."

The Bees fans were totally bemused at it but we were falling about. We were so bad that when Beadle bundled their

keeper into the net with the ball the Ref actually gave us the goal. Probably out of sympathy. When the Ref blew for full

time the chant went up again until the teams had left the pitch.

Happy days.

Off the top of me head....

On the pitch.....the fight between the little piggies and the wolf. Also Bas Savage being through on goal against Yeovil and just falling over.

In the stands....Home to Forest, they were given a free kick in the EE/Williams corner, probably was a free kick but we all booed anyway, one lad screams out, "YOU'RE HOUSE IS BEING LETTER BOMBED SUNSHIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNEEEEEEEE!!!!" We were laughing for ages after.

In the EE, Henderson was in goal. Some bloke bellows out after he made a save "OHHH BASSO!!", greeted with "Basso aint playing you idiot" etc. He then bellows out "OHHHH CHRIS WEALE". Hahahaa

People singing 'there's only one shirley temple' to the fat curly haired steward back in the early 90s.

The paper aeroplanes at the Cardiff game under GJ (particularly the cheers when one made it onto the pitch).

Not at the gate I know but that fat git getting chucked out when we played Portsmouth away in the FA cup a few seasons ago was class!

So many...mostly old, as I've not lived in Bristol for 20 years...

- Some bloke in the old enclosure saying something rude to one of the opposition players just as Rob Newman was about to take a throw-in, he laughed so much he dropped the ball

- Dolly birds coming round with a milk float with some vile cartons of drink, chucking them into the crowd at half time, people drinking one mouth full then hurling them back. Players came out for second half and there were dozens on the pitch still

- Half time display of the latest Renaults or whatever, driven round the outside of the pitch, one couldn't make one of the turns and got stuck

- Abuse at the Oxford striker (Byrne???) with permed blonde hair (80s) that got worse as the game went on, he kept getting more and more angry, and as he did he got even worse, missed a sitter in the end and everyone fell about. He nearly cried...

- Singing "came in a taxi, you must have come in a taxi" at the Newport fans (all 20 of them - we counted (they'd been relegated)) - one of whom was our economics teacher, man did she get some stick the next week

Not at AG, but very funny - the OG at Watford earlier this season, nearly soiled myself

Finally, my claim to fame - I once got Ian Alexander sent off (ex-Gas player, total pr1ck) :laughcont:

A couple I just remembered, away to Cheltenham promotion season, there is a bloke who supports the city and looks like a shorter more rotund rod Stewert and as he walked down the front gangway to a chorus of there's only one rod Stewert. Away to the gas in the jpt singing to a ball girl of about 14/15 there's only one vicky pollard

Archived