IGNORED

Does Our Fan Base Tolerate Sub Cultures?

Steve_C

Over the years, football has heavily involved music and fashion within it's fanbase, numerous artists supporting teams, putting out songs with their love for their team etc, Sham 69, Massive Attack, Housemartins, Beautiful South etc.

How has your personal taste changed when getting involved with other football mates?

Over the years, football has heavily involved music and fashion within it's fanbase, numerous artists supporting teams, putting out songs with their love for their team etc, Sham 69, Massive Attack, Housemartins, Beautiful South etc.

How has your personal taste changed when getting involved with other football mates?

Was quite into new wave and punk when younger,but never dressed like a punk.Then it was the mod revival until all the 12-13 year olds got into it.then it was the casual look pringle and even austin reed suits and blazers at one point.But anyone who dares to be a bit different is ok by me.

First you buy your Levis,

Then you cut your hair,

Then you buy your Martins

Make sure that there a pair,

Then you come to Ashton, to hear the City roar,

**** off you Gashead bar stards, its you we`re looking for. :banana:

Oops sorry, that was 30 odd years ago.

Please no-one except yourself. :aok2:

Some interesting replies, love the old punk stuff, got me thinking of The Exploited granted not early punk, but anger and aggression towards the last tory government.

Don't see many mohicans at the gate, do the old punks still have the same values?

Punk isn't just image, but it did play a big part of the whole scene.

I still wear martins, never had a Harrington or braces, but do like some of the music from that scene, especially The Members,some ska, Madness etc.

One of the uk's best known punk bands was Vice Squad. 2 of the band were often seen at BCFC in the 80s and the lyric of the punk classic 'young blood' was born at Ashton Gate.

Guitarist Dave Batman who wrote the above song sadly died a few years back. A regular in the Ship & Castle and in the Enclosure at the Gate back in the day.

Yeah City's fanbase has been properly leftfield and countercultural over the years, ask Delj off of Massive.

Some interesting replies, love the old punk stuff, got me thinking of The Exploited granted not early punk, but anger and aggression towards the last tory government.

Don't see many mohicans at the gate, do the old punks still have the same values?

I still wear martins, never had a Harrington or braces, but do like some of the music from that scene, especially The Members,some ska, Madness etc.

Interesting subject you raise here.

Used to play drums in a band late 80s/early 90s and guitarist was a Pompey fan. Whenever we used to tour in this country if City or Pompey were nearby we always used to take in a game around a gig. Went to PNE in the old plastic pitch days after a gig in Lancaster, Orient away in Jordan promotion season for a London gig and a double header of City v Watford and Pompey v Milwall at the Den for London gigs when I recall Pompey were still in financial trouble. Good times!

As someone who doesn't fit into the general fashion of the majority of fans at the Gate, I ask the question above.

I think the answer is YES - most do, must don't care who or what you are or what you look like so long as you are supporting the OTIB

Music, fashion and football was very much inter linked in the past and it's great to discuss with you, just wondered if that is still the case, looking around now I don't really see similar groups of people. Generally the music is still around Punk,ska, rock etc but the links to fashion and football don't seem to be as prevalent as it once was.

One of the uk's best known punk bands was Vice Squad. 2 of the band were often seen at BCFC in the 80s and the lyric of the punk classic 'young blood' was born at Ashton Gate.

Guitarist Dave Batman who wrote the above song sadly died a few years back. A regular in the Ship & Castle and in the Enclosure at the Gate back in the day.

Yeah City's fanbase has been properly leftfield and countercultural over the years, ask Delj off of Massive.

Didn't know that interesting stuff, all I knew about Vice Squad was I used to fancy the singer.

Archived