IGNORED

Who Decides The Added On Time?

redsquirrel

The referee is the ultimate (and ONLY official) timekeeper, and he signals to the 4th official at around 45 minutes (2nd half elapsed time) how many minutes are remaining to be played on his stopwatch. (Before the introduction of radio mics, the ref used to signal the remaining minutes by showing a number of fingers against the dark background of his shorts).

Contrary to popular belief, fuelled by the media phrasing - it is NOT ADDED time, it is TIME REMAINING after stoppages made by the referee during the half (when his, and only his, stopwatch reaches 45 minutes - he blows the whistle to signal the end of the half - he does NOT ADD time!).

The time shown on the board is merely a GUIDE to the audience of the time remaining to be played - it is NOT written in stone, since the referee may well stop his watch AFTER the board has gone up for various occurences of time-wasting, free-kicks, substitutions, goals and penalties.

Therefore, anyone who bleats abouth the referee playing "6 minutes added time" when only "only four minutes was put up on the board" is totally incorrect on two counts: (1) The actual time remaining to be played (only the referee knows that) and (2) that "Added Time" is a myth.

Therefore, anyone who bleats abouth the referee playing "6 minutes added time" when only "only four minutes was put up on the board" is totally incorrect on two counts: (1) The actual time remaining to be played (only the referee knows that) and (2) that "Added Time" is a myth.

Wasn't bleating about it, just making an observation.

Nonetheless, where the f- the ref found 6 minutes of stoppages in that half I can't begin to figure. I think the odious little twerp had a draw down on his pools coupon.

The referee is the ultimate (and ONLY official) timekeeper, and he signals to the 4th official at around 45 minutes (2nd half elapsed time) how many minutes are remaining to be played on his stopwatch. (Before the introduction of radio mics, the ref used to signal the remaining minutes by showing a number of fingers against the dark background of his shorts).

Contrary to popular belief, fuelled by the media phrasing - it is NOT ADDED time, it is TIME REMAINING after stoppages made by the referee during the half (when his, and only his, stopwatch reaches 45 minutes - he blows the whistle to signal the end of the half - he does NOT ADD time!).

The time shown on the board is merely a GUIDE to the audience of the time remaining to be played - it is NOT written in stone, since the referee may well stop his watch AFTER the board has gone up for various occurences of time-wasting, free-kicks, substitutions, goals and penalties.

Why then does a manager put on a sub at 90 minutes when they're winning, simply to 'waste time'?

Not necessarily disagreeing with your points, I'm genuinely interested to know why.

30 secs per sub and 30 secs per goal,

So we scored 3 thats 1m30secs there were 6 subs so thats 4m30s and ref's some times play a little bit more if a team is on the attack

The allowance is at the discretion of the referee - no 30 second guideline for subs or goals exists.

Why then does a manager put on a sub at 90 minutes when they're winning, simply to 'waste time'?

Not necessarily disagreeing with your points, I'm genuinely interested to know why.

Tactical reasons? To send on with instructions, perhaps disrupt rhythm of opposition while giving the team making the sub a bit more time to organise to keep out the last big opposition push I'd have thought.

Wasn't bleating about it, just making an observation.

Nonetheless, where the f- the ref found 6 minutes of stoppages in that half I can't begin to figure. I think the odious little twerp had a draw down on his pools coupon.

:D Wasn't accusing you of 'bleating about it', just that some do... I simply can't understand why people make a fuss about the amount of time played AFTER the board's gone up. It was always, and only ever was, an "indication" of the amount of time left in the half. The referee is, and always has been the sole keeper of time played - he blows his whistle when HE considers time has expired - NOBODY, not even the FA, can question him about the time he has allowed.

It doesn't even have to be exactly 45 minutes - how many referees do you see blow up when a team is in the middle of an attack? You usually find that referees blow when the ball is in midfield or goes out of play. This is done deliberately to avoid controversial incidents when he blows. When I was a referee, even when my stopwatch stated 45 minutes were up, I would let play continue for a few seconds until the ball was in a non-controversial location. When you do referees training, you are taught to do this - if you blow up just as an attacker takes a shot at goal and scores, you're going to open a whole can of worms, so it's easier to avoid it. ;)

I can only echo the other poster's comments and assume it is for tactical reasons. Certainly not to waste time because as soon as the Referee signals to allow the substitution, he will stop his stopwatch until play is restarted.

I can only echo the other poster's comments and assume it is for tactical reasons. Certainly not to waste time because as soon as the Referee signals to allow the substitution, he will stop his stopwatch until play is restarted.

I once asked a Ciy manager directly what the reason's were why substitutions are made in after the board had gone up. He said that sometimes it was for tactical reasons but more often it was to make a player feel involved.

I have always been led to believe the 4th official watches and when play has stopped, he hits a stop watch. At the end of the half he puts up how ever long is on his stop watch. Is that not the case? You never see the ref stop starting a watch unless its in stoppage time. It must be this way?

I have always been led to believe the 4th official watches and when play has stopped, he hits a stop watch. At the end of the half he puts up how ever long is on his stop watch. Is that not the case? You never see the ref stop starting a watch unless its in stoppage time. It must be this way?

No - the referee is the sole timekeeper - see my post above...

Archived