IGNORED

Del's Form

Murraysrightplum

If we take Del's average points per game were extrapolated over the whole season, we would finish on around 58 points, easily mid table and without the stress of a relegation fight. What can we expect from a whole season? I would like to see more consistency...

and that is with a large unbalanced squad of players whom he didn't sign and one transfer window where it is notoriously difficult to attract players of the sufficient calibre at the right prices. He's done what he's done with loan signings (these are invariably players who are not wanted or good enough for their parent clubs)

The mind does wonder what could be achieved now he has the opportunity to build his own team!

and that is with a large unbalanced squad of players whom he didn't sign and one transfer window where it is notoriously difficult to attract players of the sufficient calibre at the right prices. He's done what he's done with loan signings (these are invariably players who are not wanted or good enough for their parent clubs)

The mind does wonder what could be achieved now he has the opportunity to build his own team!

Add to that a pretty horrendous run of injuries towards the end of the season and the whole Maynard saga.

A job very well done by McInnes.

I'd be very happy with 60-65 points next season and signs of progress long term.

With all the obvious talk of "rebuilding" and "cutting out the deadwood" i think next season is going to have to be one of patience, we hopefully will have a new look team, and with that we are going to have to give it time, i think a mid table finish is all we can hope for and from that we can build and a few years down the line we may even challenge for promotion, but patience will be the key, we gotta give the guy our backing, he's proved to me his worth keeping us up, lets see if he can build from that and bring back smiles of success rather than smiles of relief :englandsmile4wf:

I suppose it depends on how much money he's going to be given for buying players and wages. Can't see him getting as much as the last couple of managers.

And tbh...the large unbalanced squad was our saviour in the end. Being able to use fresh legs and rotate the squad at the end was what kept us up imho.

Even with new signings ( of the calibre we're used to ) I can only see us being a bottom third team next season.

With all the obvious talk of "rebuilding" and "cutting out the deadwood" i think next season is going to have to be one of patience, we hopefully will have a new look team, and with that we are going to have to give it time, i think a mid table finish is all we can hope for and from that we can build and a few years down the line we may even challenge for promotion, but patience will be the key, we gotta give the guy our backing, he's proved to me his worth keeping us up, lets see if he can build from that and bring back smiles of success rather than smiles of relief :englandsmile4wf:

Correct. And McInnes has earnt the right to be left to get on with the job.

It will be a new team and regardless of who we bring in it will no doubt take time.

Momentum is key in football and this league in particular is so tight. If Del invests wisely and we start next season well, who knows what can happen. I'm not going to go banding about the idea of us challenging for the play-offs but we have shown in this league before (in our first season) what can be achieved with a winning mentality and momentum. Cardiff signed a new team last summer and are 6th with one game to play - with a bright young manager from Scotland.

There is no reason why we shouldn't set our sights high. However, I do not expect us to be challenging at the top and there is a lot of work to be done. Mid-table and signs of improvement and better quality football and I'll be more than happy. I think that's realistic, and I'm sure Derek does too. But he sets high standards, and I'm sure he feels he can achieve more than that. We'll just have to wait and see, and be patient!

I'll be watching the pre-season closely.

I know everyone says "it's only a friendly!" but the last two seasons our pre-season games have been an embarrassing nightmare... and then, lo and behold, we continue our sh!t form into August and beyond.

A good result at Burnley and we go into the summer with settled management and some confidence for the season ahead. A new team will take some bedding in, but if we aren't a disaster in our friendlies I'll be eagerly anticipating the restart.

I'll be watching the pre-season closely.

I know everyone says "it's only a friendly!" but the last two seasons our pre-season games have been an embarrassing nightmare... and then, lo and behold, we continue our sh!t form into August and beyond.

A good result at Burnley and we go into the summer with settled management and some confidence for the season ahead. A new team will take some bedding in, but if we aren't a disaster in our friendlies I'll be eagerly anticipating the restart.

Dont want to pee on yer fireworks but didnt the blue few have a cracking pre-season !!! but i get your point, we need a winning mentality at the club, and if that starts pre-season, we can hopefully carry it through to the league games and keep the momentum going

Dont want to pee on yer fireworks but didnt the blue few have a cracking pre-season !!! but i get your point, we need a winning mentality at the club, and if that starts pre-season, we can hopefully carry it through to the league games and keep the momentum going

True. But they had a new manager coming in and falling out with their best players.

One of the best points about McInnes is that he seems to make all his team decisions for football reasons - not on a personal basis.

Results are not important in pre-season and I couldn't care less about them I want to see players brought in early so they are given a chance to gel and performances as a team over results,

the last 1 maybe 2 games of the preseason will be more about the results then,

Results are not important in pre-season and I couldn't care less about them I want to see players brought in early so they are given a chance to gel and performances as a team over results,

All the weaknesses we saw last August were visible in the form of a team who lost at Torquay in July.

It amazes me how many people say this. Whilst pre-season results are not the be all and end all , we have been getting beat by the likes of Torquay , Aldershot and Yeovil for the past 2 years and have made poor starts in each. Every team needs a few good results in pre-season, for confidence as much as anything.

Very important that people keep a level head going into next season.

McInnes has done a good job, he's achieved his aim of keeping us in the league. Contrary to some I don't think he's worked miracles but he came into a difficult situation and has pulled us clear.

The scene is set for a radical turnover in playing staff this summer. Realistically we'll probably see 3 or 4 new starters for the first game of next season, however the shape and make up of the squad is likely to shift significantly.

New players take time to gel and the league itself looks very competitive. It is crucial that the fans keep their feet on the ground and dont get ahead of theirselves.

Personally, seeing McInnes impart his own players and his own style coupled with a lower mid table finish is very satisfactory for me.

There's one thing that's concerning me at the moment regarding us offloading the out of contract players. I'm guessing most of these contracts run out around June or July, which could at that point leave us with a worryingly small squad.

That will then put us in the position that we must bring in a sizeable number of new players of the right quality. Considering we've struggled to find even a small number of this type of player in the past few years, I just hope we don't find ourselves with the bare bones of a squad when the new season kicks off.

We'll really need to do our business early the close season I reckon.

There's one thing that's concerning me at the moment regarding us offloading the out of contract players. I'm guessing most of these contracts run out around June or July, which could at that point leave us with a worryingly small squad.

That will then put us in the position that we must bring in a sizeable number of new players of the right quality. Considering we've struggled to find even a small number of this type of player in the past few years, I just hope we don't find ourselves with the bare bones of a squad when the new season kicks off.

We'll really need to do our business early the close season I reckon.

The players not being offered new deals will already know and McInnes will also know how much in wages those departures free up so will have an idea of whats in the wages kitty.

All sort of wheeling and dealing goes on behind the scenes in football and McInnes will have a short list of who he wants to sign and who knows, maybe those players are aware of his interest. Not to have such short list would be bordering on the unproffessional.

Stop worrying and look North.........

It amazes me how many people say this. Whilst pre-season results are not the be all and end all , we have been getting beat by the likes of Torquay , Aldershot and Yeovil for the past 2 years and have made poor starts in each. Every team needs a few good results in pre-season, for confidence as much as anything.

Newcastle lost 7-1 to Leyton Orient and went on to win the league

The players not being offered new deals will already know and McInnes will also know how much in wages those departures free up so will have an idea of whats in the wages kitty.

All sort of wheeling and dealing goes on behind the scenes in football and McInnes will have a short list of who he wants to sign and who knows, maybe those players are aware of his interest. Not to have such short list would be bordering on the unproffessional.

Stop worrying and look North.........

I would guess the players who we are looking to retain would of already been offered new deals by now, if they haven't then I would think they are walking

I would guess the players who we are looking to retain would of already been offered new deals by now, if they haven't then I would think they are walking

They will know but whether they will sign new deals depends on any number of factors. There will also be one or two who maybe McInnes is not sure about as yet.

His task was to keep us up and he's done that with a game remaining, for that he should receive recognition. I still have doubts about certain areas of McInnes management but in the last few weeks he has realised just how important some individuals were to the fight and used the squad very, very well. He has achieved his goal and with a summer of rebuilding I look forward to seeing what the Scot has to offer next season.

Certainly is exciting times. :)

Certainly is exciting times. :)

Yeah, it certainly is.

McInnes is in the rare managerial position of being able to have a massive clear out of unwanted players. Come August he won't have any players he doesn't rate. Thats very rare for any manager.

Yeah, it certainly is.

McInnes is in the rare managerial position of being able to have a massive clear out of unwanted players. Come August he won't have any players he doesn't rate. Thats very rare for any manager.

I think this is a reason why he is very positive about next season even more so. I hope the final squad is around 25 players so that team-spirit is stronger. Too many players can cause the players to be in groups and isn't good for anyone. I am confident come the end of the transfer window we will have a MUCH more competitive squad with hungry players.

I cannot wait personally. It will feel good to win a few games in pre-season as we haven't managed that for a while now.

It's definatley a new chapter in the life of Bristol City Football Club.

Yeah, it certainly is.

That's complete tosh and you know it.

I'd be lying if i said i didnt want us to fly up the table, win every game home and away and get promoted. However i would love to see a strong consistant season that gives mcinnes time to build a solid team with plenty of flexibilty to make a serious challenge for the prem in the season after. that way we can go into the prem and stay up. infact thats what is going to happen and if you think different then... :shutup:

I assume thats a tongue in cheek remark

If not please explain..........

There are still players under contract , who Del clearly doesn't rate. If nobody wants to buy them , they will still be here next season.

Archived