IGNORED

The Fratton Park Eight V The Ashton Gate Eight

havanatopia

portsmouth are using the players as a scapegoat at the moment, telling the paper Ben haim 36k a week is killing the club is a breach of contract as it is and they are opening up themselfs to all sorts of legal trouble,

The sad thing is the fans, also you can't compare the two situation we actually had players that loved our club these are just more pampered millionaires football produce now a days

The players aren't to blame as others have stated they have been offered contracts and those should be honored look at rangers, they had to form a newco and the players and staff who refused to tupe across are free agents, the same will happen at portsmouth, accept the bottom of our structure isn't sfl3 its way down about 12 tiers which where they should of been sent after the the second admin hit

Quite, different times now. The money has ruined the top tier of the game, these players came to Portsmouth because they were offered stupidly high salaries. I don't expect them to have any loyalty to the club, run as it was as a rich man's plaything. Portsmouth's operating company will hopefully fold and these rich men will lose their "investment", then the fans set up a new Portsmouth 2012 FC in Div 3 or the conference.

In 1982 players in general had loyalty to their club, the Ashton Gate 8 were exemplary but in many ways typical of their time. You could still see a few of our players behaving that honorably but could you see it for the Man City or Arsenal squads?

I feel sorry for the fans but the way that club has been run in recent years is absolutely shocking. If it were a proper business and not a football club (spot the irony) then it'd have been wound down months and perhaps even years ago. Of course I sympathise and I'd hate it it if were us (again) but considering their repeated policy of handing out big contracts and generally taking the Michael it is my view they should have gone already.

It would be a lovely gesture if some of the bigger earners walked away, but to label them a disgrace for not doing so is incredibly harsh, it is the club's fault for continually handing out high value contracts.

We were incredibly lucky when it was us. It was an exceptionally selfless gesture from a exceptional group of people and it is not fair to use that as the yardstick by which to measure others against.

Quite, different times now. The money has ruined the top tier of the game, these players came to Portsmouth because they were offered stupidly high salaries. I don't expect them to have any loyalty to the club, run as it was as a rich man's plaything. Portsmouth's operating company will hopefully fold and these rich men will lose their "investment", then the fans set up a new Portsmouth 2012 FC in Div 3 or the conference.

In 1982 players in general had loyalty to their club, the Ashton Gate 8 were exemplary but in many ways typical of their time. You could still see a few of our players behaving that honorably but could you see it for the Man City or Arsenal squads?

Both spot on.

I don't think you can blame the players at all, and tbh if it was us in that situation again I'm not sure if any of ours would do the same, perhaps a few of the local lads but that's probably it.

I have sympathy for the fans and those non-football staff who stand to lose their jobs but quite frankly the club should have been shut down 2 years ago, and despite being let off once, those in charge continued to spend beyond their means and stick 2 proverbial fingers up to their creditors, taking no responsibility for their situation.

1982 and the 2 Pompey debacles couldn't be more different, we certainly lived in different times back in 1982.

Footballers were men back then and men with honour and not cheating/tweeting/whinging/gutless/overpaid/money grabbing/spit roasting/cowards that inhabit the prem in the modern game, a game where very average players become multi millionaires but really couldn't give a **** about the game in general or winning medals just who will pay them a few shekels more.

Nope nor me, they should have asked more questions the second time around when they signed Kitson and Lawrence, like are you sure we can afford this, instead they allowed the new owners to try to go for the quick fix in pursuit of a quick return to the big bucks of the prem.

If City signed Rooney Ronaldo and Messi tomorrow How many of our fans would ask

if we could afford it or not!! Very very few if any

They would just be over the moon saying Lansdown is God

Disagree I think a lot of users on here are educated enough to understand the finance of this football club and would ask questions.

1982 and the 2 Pompey debacles couldn't be more different, we certainly lived in different times back in 1982.

Footballers were men back then and men with honour and not cheating/tweeting/whinging/gutless/overpaid/money grabbing/spit roasting/cowards that inhabit the prem in the modern game, a game where very average players become multi millionaires but really couldn't give a **** about the game in general or winning medals just who will pay them a few shekels more.

So what do you really feel about the modern player ?

Not if this was 48 hours after coming out of administration, I would certainly ask questions and I hope every right thinking City fan would also actually ask "SL, can we really afford this?".

Anyway if SL tried to sign the incredibly overrated Rooney, i'd think about trying to get the guy sectioned, but i'd take the other 2.

I think our club went backrupt, and the new business a little bit like rangers (newco) aquired the players contracts on reduced terms. Rose tinted glasses and all ho hum.

Our players let us go too the wall as well, we just offered them half as much after we had gone to wall and they duely accepted, becuase otherwise they would have got nothing!

I think our club went backrupt, and the new business a little bit like rangers (newco) aquired the players contracts on reduced terms. Rose tinted glasses and all ho hum.

Our players let us go too the wall as well, we just offered them half as much after we had gone to wall and they duely accepted, becuase otherwise they would have got nothing!

What rubbish.

In '82 after making 8 players redundant we were forced to return our loan players and sell all our assets (Jan Moller and Mick Harford) to survive and the money from the sales went to creditors.

Our side against Fulham then included 3 youth players making their debuts in midfield, whereas Pompey ended last season with borrowed players from the likes of West Brom..

What rubbish.

In '82 after making 8 players redundant we were forced to return our loan players and sell all our assets (Jan Moller and Mick Harford) to survive and the money from the sales went to creditors.

Our side against Fulham then included 3 youth players making their debuts in midfield, whereas Pompey ended last season with borrowed players from the likes of West Brom..

+1

How can anyone have any sympathy whatsoever for this club or it's supporters?, the club and fans are desperately trying to get the players rip up their contracts and then a story likes this comes out of Frattons shit hole.

http://www1.skysport...-Derry-interest

They are taking the piss, they should instead be looking to sign players from Derry City youth team, anything to stay in business.

Edited by Esmond Million's Bung

Some of the triallists they have taken to Spain are far from unknowns as well, it's clear that there are some decent players out of contract at the moment. It's hard to see how they're in a position to go to Spain for pre-season and take on triallists like Brian Howard, Jon Harley and Izale Mcleod. Surely they should be on the training ground at home doing things on a shoestring with their youth team players? It all seems very strange to me.

Those names are from the BBC Sport website, by the way.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18855396

Nope nor me, they should have asked more questions the second time around when they signed Kitson and Lawrence, like are you sure we can afford this, instead they allowed the new owners to try to go for the quick fix in pursuit of a quick return to the big bucks of the prem.

You make the assumption football clubs care what fans have to say and take their concerns and criticisms into account.

News flash, they don't.

That Derry article just seems to emphasise how much Pompey, at the very least, are being run or portrayed as being seemingly in a parallel world to their reality. Kind of beggars belief but it is no different from what they have been doing since before the 2nd of their 3 administrations.

As far as i am concerned, it has to be 3 strikes and you are out... out of the Football League. Yes I feel for the fans but the club finally has to be taught a stern lesson, any lesson dealt so far has just been ignored with utter contempt by repeated owners.

Edited by havanatopia

You make the assumption football clubs care what fans have to say and take their concerns and criticisms into account.

News flash, they don't.

and you make the assumption that that is the point I was trying to make, which it wasn't. The point trying to make and have done on other threads about this shitty club is that 24/48 hours after coming out of administration the chief executive Birch bragged that they had signed Kitson and Lawrence on the bargain wages of 15k + 10k per week and guess what the pompey fans were cool with that in fact they were delirious about it, many expecting a quick return to the prem and now they are calling Kitson and some of other higher paid players signed during this period all of the bastards under the sun and calling for them to rip up their contracts.

News flash, of course I don't expect football clubs to take into account the concerns and criticisms of the fans, especially given the fact that many fans at various clubs are more than happy to go along with dubious foreign owners, who have no concept about running an English club, it's history and it's fans but I also reserve the right to have little or no sympathy for the fans, who silently sat back and never even questioned the running of the club and it's actions so soon after coming out of the original administration.

I repeat Pompey are and have been taking the piss for too long.

What exactly have the players done wrong? They signed contracts for money, the clubs should never have offered it, not putting in any relegation clauses is asking for trouble.

Pretty much it! Portsmouth FC are serial defaulters...Good god how could they do it all again, I believe three times in the last few years definately twice.

Portsmouth's best way forward is to reform and try and get in the best league they can. If Aldershot can come back so can Portsmouth!

Luton and Bournmouth spring to mind as well as leeds and rotherham, I don't think the extra 10 points they have isn't the end of it from the FL I expect another 20 to come off them if they survie if they don't its off to the toolstation or whatever the that regions league is called,

They won't start life in the conference it will be at least 7 lvls below that kuje AFC Wmbledon or FC United of Manchester

Portsmouth fans are very switched on about this, thread on letter to players asking for pay cuts:

As I said yesterday, if the trust were taking over I'd support this entirely but if it's Chanrai why should they agree to take huge cuts just so it can go in his pocket

None of this is down to the players. I suspect their agents are busy attempting to get the best for them and the PFA are also in the mix. The negotiations are ongoing and to focus attention on to the players is unfair. I don't think anyone wants to see the club fold but anyone who finds themselves in this position is going to look for the best possible deal.

http://thepompeychimes.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=69030&sid=eec8354ece9286f6120c6a3ecd6ad690

Having read many posts and articles on Pompey, the main problem is the parachute payments £15,000,000 still to come. Players are being asked to leave for a fraction of the money contracted, but the returning owner in waiting still wants his £19,000,000, but will only return with the high earners gone and the wage bill cut.

Asking a player to leave when he can see £15,000,000 coming in once the CVA is sorted, is a hard sell for anyone.

Edited by oldfield

Don't blame the players at all in this.

Portsmouth are a disgrace in the way they have handled their finances. I don't blame them for chasing the Premier League dream and the resulting fallout, but to then go ahead and make the same mistakes again, so soon after is hard to stomache and feel any sympathy.

Having read many posts and articles on Pompey, the main problem is the parachute payments £15,000,000 still to come. Players are being asked to leave for a fraction of the money contracted, but the returning owner in waiting still wants his £19,000,000, but will only return with the high earners gone and the wage bill cut.

Asking a player to leave when he can see £15,000,000 coming in once the CVA is sorted, is a hard sell for anyone.

Now that hadn't been highlighted! I can see why they're sitting tight. From the administrator's actions to date (breifing against them in the press, not taking them on the Marbella training session) I would have thought they have a very good case for constructive dismissal claims.