IGNORED

Benfica

Crackers Corner

Hard to tell really. Cant see it was a punch, possibly layed a very girly nut on him, but my guess it was a shove and he has made a bit of a meal of it. Either way what a pair of to$$ers. The player for his actions and the ref for walking off sulking. Think he could of just sent him off and let the authorities punish him and played the game out for the paying spectators or even got the fourth official to finish the game.

Don't get me wrong, In no way should a ref be attacked (unless he is a scum gas or a taff)but I feel he got to stamp his authority there.

On a side note my soon to be one year old daughter seems to find it funny so cheers for that.

Luisao is a Benfica legend and has never been a dirty player - he's one of the games' gentlemen in a culture I accept is prone to tempers and theatrics. The referee wants banning! ;) If you see the full passage of play, the ref is not diffusing the situation and taking a few steps back like a good British ref might do, he was rushing at people, first body checking Maxi Perreira, ironically it's Luisao who comes over as captain to stand between his players and the referee, who uses the opportunity to behave like Luisao's shielding of him was an act of aggression and careers back off his shoulder onto the floor. At BEST it was an accident, at worst an embarrassment.

I accept I am biased, but the referee wanted to make a scene of it and achieved his goal - and got the afternoon off to boot.

:laugh: @ punched in chest. Must be a poor view from the stands! On Portuguese TV, his chin hits Luisao's shoulder, with Luisao turned 90 degrees to keep his players away from the referee. Pretty embarrassing really, but I hope Christian Fischer is able to make a full recovery from this grievous assault (and slight comedy balance issues). He achieved what he seemed to want, which was the story to be about him.

The slo mo at the end seems to suggest a clash of heads but is very inconclusive. It about time FIFA start imposing proper punishment for arguing with the officials and pay acting. I remember that man u match a few years ack where about 6 man u players surrounded the ref hurling abuse at him.

Should become a straight red offence.

Giving him the benefit of doubt, from that video it looks like he just tries to get himself inbetween his players and the ref and it's just an accident. If not, hes run over and planted the nut straight into the refs face and will be in a lot of trouble.

:laugh: That's no headbutt.

Intentional shove, though. Huge, huge fines and bans coming Benficas way, especially as the ref stopped the game. If he had dealt with it when the situation occurred, then the punishments wouldn't be as severe as they're going to be.

German media today say the ref called off the game due to him having Circulatory problems.

Non the less one should not storm at the ref and shove him.

By the way that "incident" followed a second booking for a Benfica players for two really horrible and unnecessary fouls in a friendly.

Strange and bizarre match anyway.

Archived