IGNORED

Pitman Speculation

Gazred

Thats the beauty of it... we don't need to offload him or anyone else as we've focused on our financials through this transfer window.

The situation where we lost £11m per year obviously couldn’t go on and City have gone along way to reduce costs on and off the field. Things are a lot better but there is still a long way to go.

We have to comply with the new Championship financial fair play rules. We have low gates compared to many other Championship clubs. Low non-match day revenue until we get a new stadium. With all these factors, with the exception of young players, city can’t afford to keep players who are unlikely to feature in the first team.

Also, with Pitman, his contract finishes at the end of the season. If he doesn’t go now or in January, he leaves for nothing. Hopefully City will have learned a lesson from the Maynard saga and take the money if a reasonable offer comes along.

How can people say Pitman's passing is poor? At times I think they must be watching another player as his link up play with the rest of the team has been great in the past.

The only thing that lets him down is his pace, but even that doesn't stop him for being a good Championship striker.

The situation where we lost £11m per year obviously couldn’t go on and City have gone along way to reduce costs on and off the field. Things are a lot better but there is still a long way to go.

We have to comply with the new Championship financial fair play rules. We have low gates compared to many other Championship clubs. Low non-match day revenue until we get a new stadium. With all these factors, with the exception of young players, city can’t afford to keep players who are unlikely to feature in the first team.

Also, with Pitman, his contract finishes at the end of the season. If he doesn’t go now or in January, he leaves for nothing. Hopefully City will have learned a lesson from the Maynard saga and take the money if a reasonable offer comes along.

Completely agree that we still have a long way to go. However, having 5 strikers at a club is generally considered an ideal number.

For example, say one of our strikers gets injured on Saturday (Baldock, Taylor and Davis all have injury history) then we can't go into games with 3 strikers.

As last Saturday showed when Taylor was injured, we had no options at all and we were forced to play Adomah as a centre forward.

I think Pitman is a good 5th choice striker that we should keep hold of, he is nowhere near good enough to start ahead of the other strikers but if we end up with an injury crisis he could be useful.

I'm of the opinion he is now surplus but I'm struggling to see where his game is "severely lacking in so many areas".

He has good vision, can pass, good at linking the play, good finisher, finds space well, not bad in the air.....So where is he severely lacking?

I would say his work rate and demeanour are not the best and he is not that pacey, but he seems to do okay without that.

I think we all agree that his physical attributes are extremely poor (at least for the championship) but we all agree he is a decent finisher from inside the box.

His first touch is average at best, he has decent vision but tries too many cross field passes and usually over hits them, his link up play isn't bad as well but he certainly doesn't make space for himself.

if you watched taylor closely on tuesday, that is how a striker is supposed to play, strong, aware, good movement, reasonably fast....and didn't need 25 games in a row to score.

We have FAR better options than BP now.

BCAGFC

P.s. Message for Nogbad, I am available for councelling. ;)

The argument often boils down to goals, which never tells the full story. Kevin Nolan at West Ham is a true case in point of that. We have signed two strikers with goals in who, it would appear, will offer a fair deal more than BP to the team as a whole.

he will hes a good finisher, difficult to make an impact as a striker on the wing, or coming on in th 89th minute !! could be argued a tad lazy not tracking back etc !!! only city could take a prolific striker from the lower leagues and not get the best out of them :tounge:

Missed three easy goals against the Gas :dancer2:

Completely agree that we still have a long way to go. However, having 5 strikers at a club is generally considered an ideal number.

For example, say one of our strikers gets injured on Saturday (Baldock, Taylor and Davis all have injury history) then we can't go into games with 3 strikers.

As last Saturday showed when Taylor was injured, we had no options at all and we were forced to play Adomah as a centre forward.

I think Pitman is a good 5th choice striker that we should keep hold of, he is nowhere near good enough to start ahead of the other strikers but if we end up with an injury crisis he could be useful.

he did play adomah up top instead of a fit pitman that tells you all you need to know on it

Think the manager in Burnley was manager in Bournmouth when Pitman was there. Pitman can score and make good passes, but with our new signings think he will not be in the starting 11. Burnleys gaffer sure rate him high, so therefore I think we can have a good price for BP. Think its good for everybody if he can move on and play for start.

If the rumour we paid no more than £1.5 for Baldock is true, then we'd be doing very good business to get anything north of 500k for Pitman.

Regardless of what your opinion is can he honestly be expected to get more than half a mill, situation and everything considered?

If the rumour we paid no more than £1.5 for Baldock is true, then we'd be doing very good business to get anything north of 500k for Pitman.

Regardless of what your opinion is can he honestly be expected to get more than half a mill, situation and everything considered?

it would be no more then 500k for baldock west ham owed us a million

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/Bristol-City-squad-taking-shape-says-McInnes/story-16750884-detail/story.html

Put on a different thread that I read the comments about wanting players who don't have lazy days as suggesting there were players who did when he got here - Spence, JCR, Stewart etc and I wouldn't be surprised if Pitman was one of these too, looking at how he has never featured regularly. If this is the case then surely he'll be on the way out as like del said he wants players who don't have these lazy days and he seems to he bringing in those type of player. I reckon the other business he talks about could be him and maybe one or two others leaving, not just a cd coming in.

Its pointless debating with people who simply just don't like the bloke. I'm of the opinion that he should leave and is no longer required but it's amazing that now we have signed a couple of strikers, Pitman is being made out as someone barely good enough to play professional football.

Reminds me of Derby fans following the departure of Pearson - apparently the worst player ever to pull on a Derby shirt and the Aberdeen fans were saying similar things when we signed Foster.

http://www.thisisbri...tail/story.html

Put on a different thread that I read the comments about wanting players who don't have lazy days as suggesting there were players who did when he got here - Spence, JCR, Stewart etc and I wouldn't be surprised if Pitman was one of these too, looking at how he has never featured regularly. If this is the case then surely he'll be on the way out as like del said he wants players who don't have these lazy days and he seems to he bringing in those type of player. I reckon the other business he talks about could be him and maybe one or two others leaving, not just a cd coming in.

A less than enthusiastic approach to training and fitness might well be associated with some of those you mention (Stewart, particularly) and I seem to recall that even Millen, who signed Pitman and clearly rated him, said when Brett joined the club that it took a while to get his fitness up to the level we required. However, I'm a bit surprised to see you put JCR in there. He could be a frustrating player who kept the ball too long and slowed things down as a result, but to be fair to him I though he had a good attitude and always worked his arse off whenever I saw him play.

Its pointless debating with people who simply just don't like the bloke. I'm of the opinion that he should leave and is no longer required but it's amazing that now we have signed a couple of strikers, Pitman is being made out as someone barely good enough to play professional football.

Reminds me of Derby fans following the departure of Pearson - apparently the worst player ever to pull on a Derby shirt and the Aberdeen fans were saying similar things when we signed Foster.

I'd second that. His shortcomings have been exaggerated out of all proportion in recent weeks. Nobody's claiming he's the complete package, but he's shown he's a bloody good, natural finisher on his day, given the right service, and he will score goals wherever he goes - if he plays.

A less than enthusiastic approach to training and fitness might well be associated with some of those you mention (Stewart, particularly) and I seem to recall that even Millen, who signed Pitman and clearly rated him, said when Brett joined the club that it took a while to get his fitness up to the level we required. However, I'm a bit surprised to see you put JCR in there. He could be a frustrating player who kept the ball too long and slowed things down as a result, but to be fair to him I though he had a good attitude and always worked his arse off whenever I saw him play.

I quite liked him too to begin with but got tired of his aimless running. However there was definitely some sort of incident soon after del arrived involving Spence, JCR and Stead? if I recall and where as stead worked himself back into the team the others didn't which is why he may have been a bit lazy but this really is just my opinion, I don't have any insider knowledge.

Get rid.

When McInnes took over he inherited 5 strikers, sold one for money reasons in January and now he still 5 strikers again. What makes you think he'll sell Pitman?

According to Derby fans Davies is made of glass so him being out from injury is a serious possibility. Over 46 games its very likely that other strikers will get knocks or suspended and miss games as well.

Unless Pitman wants to go or Burnley offer silly money he'll stay at City.

Trouble is he's in last year of his contract I think. That may force us to sell him before he's worth nothing to us, think same applies to stead.

Surely if he's wanted, a new contract should be on the table to sign or at least talking to him if he wants to stay. Otherwise end of season could be losing 2 strikers for nothing.

If the club are following ffp, why have we signed 2 new strikers I guess on good money. Must mean a few players are on there way out, if not we've not saved anything on wages.

Archived