IGNORED

History Of Bristol Nightlife (Merged)

Big Red Rich

Remember going in reflex the first week it opened.. The floors weren't so sticky then.

Bar Excellence really was a great place. Amazed the place is still vacant even now

Remember going in reflex the first week it opened.. The floors weren't so sticky then.

Bar Excellence really was a great place. Amazed the place is still vacant even now

Bar Excellence was going to be a Sports Bar but all the signs have been taken down in the last few weeks. Presumably run out of money or too much competition from BS3!

Surely the waterfront area was their ideal position - with all the Stag Parties etc down there. It just didn't work because it was rubbish! 

I wouldn't class that as the water front though.  Visitors won't even know there's anything that side of Millennium square - backed up by the fact it was the highest % of unused retail space in the country. Everything there seems to fail.

contrast that to how busy it is in the centre, and plenty of old perverts would have been lured in while waiting for the bus to turn up.

I rang Hooters in Bristol once to make a reservation for my Son's birthday only to be told it wasn't required. All trooped off to the said restaurant to be refused entry because we didn't make a reservation !!   The bug bear for me was the place was only half full so went off on a tad of a tantrum and they suddenly found a table.

The place was in a shite location, badly mismanaged and nothing like the ones in the States.

The upside was the waitress did have nice Norks and I forever applaude her plastic surgeon for their creation.

Our socials stopped being there in second year due to it shutting down once more. Decent place though, and considering it isn't in the commercial centre of the city it was always busy whenever I went.

Also there's nothing wrong with house music!

Motion is still pretty good these days, even if they do get some artists you will never have heard of in your life. In fact, probably the best night out I have ever had was watching Fatboy Slim at motion in 2013.

Motion is defo. One of the few i would recommend atm, struggling to think of good quality clubs down here currently...obv the Thekla can do a job and there's one other whose name escapes me but I can't put my finger on it just doesn't seem that brilliant.

It's strange talking to the 'yoouf' in our office these days, the culture of going out has changed. Nobody tends to go out much before 10-11pm and then stay out till 4-5am.  I guess they'll never know what 'last orders' at 10.45 was all about and the rush to get in to the queue for a nightclub before 11pm

True in a way. Pre drinking in my experience has become much more prevalent. Last orders at 10.45pm predate my time, definitely culture has changed it seems. Mind you you say that about clubs and I was fairly surprised when I was in West London recently that bars at least seemed to stop admitting people pretty damn early...last entry was somewhat earlier than here. So it can exist in funny ways...but basically alcohol is much cheaper at home hence people drink at home before clubs.

Those were the days bouncers seemed down to earth blokes (with a nasty side). These days they seem to be steroid monsters with no personality.

Defo a change, seem humourless a lot of them. But there was one exception, this reminded me of a time from my days in Canterbury. Me and couple of mates got chummy- and this bouncer had both i.e. down to earth, nasty side. Very big obv but got pally with us with a brief interlude when my tactless friend basically declared him to look like a bouncer off Jeremy Kyle even asked him...slight error, got a kick up the arse much to the hilarity of me and another mate! And yet...earlier in the evening, at about closing time he or bar staff declared 'ok closing, finish last drink etc.' And this same tactless friend said 'just doing it...aah brainfreeze'! Bouncer declares 'hey everybody, this guy's got brainfreeze!' Pub all start laughing. And we encountered him in a chip shop near the pub that same evening and he declared 'hey hi again, it's braifreeze!- to much hilariity! But he was pretty sound, pretty normal pretty matey to use just outright really. Seemed you kinda describe...dunno of many like him whatsoever.

3 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Just returned, nicely refreshed, from the Seven Stars (next to the Fleece) - still a proper boozer and alive with chat and atmosphere*. Only trouble is - despite getting a Grillstock to bring back to the office - I've got a right old taste on!!!!

*chatmosphere? 

Proper old school boozer, many early Friday after work ales in there 

Went in Walkabout the other day for the first time in a while, it has changed a lot and looks quite classy IMO. Haven't been to Corn Street for a while saying that! 

I feel the nightlife in Bristol is changing for the worst, doesn't feel the same as it used to 3-4 years ago. Or maybe I'm growing out of it?

12 hours ago, Lew-T said:

Went in Walkabout the other day for the first time in a while, it has changed a lot and looks quite classy IMO. Haven't been to Corn Street for a while saying that! 

I feel the nightlife in Bristol is changing for the worst, doesn't feel the same as it used to 3-4 years ago. Or maybe I'm growing out of it?

You are probably growing out of it. I think it's been awful for best part of a decade.. Then I realise how old I am

Town seems more reliant on student trade than ever. When the students are here everywhere is rammed. When they are on reading weeks or term breaks, its dead. 

Motion continues to go from strength to strength if you like that scene. Thekla has been very disappointing the last few times I've been. Not busy at all and a poor ratio. Not like it used to be. 

On 8/16/2015 at 16:10, Tomarse said:

Ah the triangle snooker club, what a shout. Watching Nasem Hamid fights down there. Legendary nights. Absolute carnage in the 98 WC watching Eng v Argentina

The Top Spot snooker club was a classic place, some messed up nights there. Never went in the Triangle snooker club.

Does anyone remember a night club at the Bottom of Broad Street?

The Tube Club Bristol was also good served behind the bar there in mid nighties.

On 4 April 2016 at 18:12, North East Red said:

The Top Spot snooker club was a classic place, some messed up nights there. Never went in the Triangle snooker club.

Does anyone remember a night club at the Bottom of Broad Street?

The Tube Club Bristol was also good served behind the bar there in mid nighties.

What was the snooker club that preceeded McCluskies? Was it called Pots or something like that?

On 24 September 2015 at 20:38, Barrs Court Red said:

To be fair Tom Corn street doesn't seem the success it once was on a night - heading there sat for the rugby so will see if it's any good again

Their takings suffered when we sold Leroy Lita. 

On 4 April 2016 at 21:22, Tomarse said:

What was the snooker club that preceeded McCluskies? Was it called Pots or something like that?

Wasn't that Q's? On the Pithay and kind of where the old gym was. Definitely went in once or twice on long pool playing and drinking lunches in the early 90s. 

On 07/04/2016 at 22:50, CyderInACan said:

Wasn't that Q's? On the Pithay and kind of where the old gym was. Definitely went in once or twice on long pool playing and drinking lunches in the early 90s. 

That was it, had a big neon type sign on it.

On 11/23/2012 at 21:01, Antman said:

and the stonehouse

the carpet in the DugOut was legend - you'd squelch your way in

Indeed - that carpet... great club though..one of the best in Europe in 70's/80's- and not just because the majority of customers were Gas- massive attack/wild bunch spinning the discs...happy days...

Archived