IGNORED

History Of Bristol Nightlife (Merged)

Big Red Rich

My memories are as follows

Club IQ - Used to feel like the whole place was just a series of steps, was quite small but a great little club.

Oddessy / Works - Bigger and harder work to get into back in 1997 till 2000 you actually had to dress up to get into places which meant trousers, shoes and a Ben Sherman type untucked shirt. The upgrade to the works and special revolving bar was the talk of town at the time :laugh:.

McCloskeys = Used to just be a place to go to either have a fight or watch one.

Branigans = Next to what is now Lloyd’s. Cheap drinks and cheaper women :laugh:.

Mauritania = All you can eat and drink night which I think was a Wednesday or Thursday was about £15 all in, mental really, some right rough women preying in younger blokes :laugh:.

Horn and Trumpet = Used to get packed.

31 Corn Street = Used to love that place.

Sedan Chair = Funny little place. 

We used to go all over the place loads of different clubs and pubs. Loads not about now. Scene has changed I guess. Was more drink and a giggle and going out early now it’s all drink and home and whose doing lifts whilst doing balloons...

19 hours ago, ziderheadarmy said:

Club IQ - Used to feel like the whole place was just a series of steps, was quite small but a great little club.

Oddessy / Works - Bigger and harder work to get into back in 1997 till 2000 you actually had to dress up to get into places which meant trousers, shoes and a Ben Sherman type untucked shirt. The upgrade to the works and special revolving bar was the talk of town at the time :laugh:.

Branigans = Next to what is now Lloyd’s. Cheap drinks and cheaper women :laugh:.

Mauritania = All you can eat and drink night which I think was a Wednesday or Thursday was about £15 all in, mental really, some right rough women preying in younger blokes :laugh:.

We used to go all over the place loads of different clubs and pubs. Loads not about now. Scene has changed I guess. Was more drink and a giggle and going out early now it’s all drink and home and whose doing lifts whilst doing balloons...

We must have seen each other a lot as I used to spend a lot of time in all of those places.

On 28/09/2019 at 22:18, ziderheadarmy said:

Some good memories there.  31 Corn Street was indeed a good gaff.  I did actually used to like Brannigans. 

On 28/09/2019 at 22:18, ziderheadarmy said:

This is my era, I can just about remember going to Ritzy before it became Club IQ.  Patrick at Odyssey was hard work to get past until you managed to get a decent fake id (bumped into him a few years ago working the door at the sports bar place near the triangle).  Mauritania was amazing value on those nights - think it was Wednesdays.  All you're missing here is Evolution on the water front - filling up on cheap vodka/red bulls in the Figurehead beforehand and then watching all the tools who couldn't hold their cider throwing each other in the harbour outside afterwards.

9 hours ago, Masala said:

Anyone remember Chaplin's? "Entertainment club" sort of underneath the Union Street bridge?

I remember Chaplin's. We'd sometimes go in there for a giggle while shopping in broadmead. Never frequented on an evening but some of the girls on the afternoon shift were ropey old sorts! What was the name of the pub along there? Lord Rodney springs to mind but I may be completely wrong. 

6 hours ago, Gakoe said:

I remember Chaplin's. We'd sometimes go in there for a giggle while shopping in broadmead. Never frequented on an evening but some of the girls on the afternoon shift were ropey old sorts! What was the name of the pub along there? Lord Rodney springs to mind but I may be completely wrong. 

Prince Rupert?

48 minutes ago, Slacker said:

Prince Rupert?

That sounds more like it. Couple of decent pool tables if my memory serves? (it's a gamble these days!) 

Has anyone mentioned Clifton village? Had some great nights going round there and seen some pretty tidy local bands playing. The Albion used to be good in that respect. 

On 28/09/2019 at 23:18, ziderheadarmy said:

I remember them well....

On 24/09/2019 at 18:55, Med/MadHatter said:

Jitter, abuse word only used in Bristol i think as I've never heard it anywhere else :laugh:, i was once a long haired biker and was called this many a time when in town

19 minutes ago, Med/MadHatter said:

Wasn't the word 'Grebo'?  Both unfortunately :laugh:

I was a sort of 'mod', or 'suedehead' as it was called back then (Yes, I had a Crombie, with the City badge on the pocket!), and recall joining in with the 'Grebo' chant whenever we used to see you with your leather jackets - you used to have those metal studs in the back of your jackets, with the name of your 'chapter'?

With some embarrassment, I must admit, I used to join in with those chants without a clue as to what I was chanting about: Grebo, Grebo....

Ha. The joys of youth.

3 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I was a sort of 'mod', or 'suedehead' as it was called back then (Yes, I had a Crombie, with the City badge on the pocket!), and recall joining in with the 'Grebo' chant whenever we used to see you with your leather jackets - you used to have those metal studs in the back of your jackets, with the name of your 'chapter'?

With some embarrassment, I must admit, I used to join in with those chants without a clue as to what I was chanting about: Grebo, Grebo....

Ha. The joys of youth.

Leather jacket but no studs for me :laugh:, I hated the "bike club" thing, prefer my independance, had plenty of friends in them so used to go visit their various clubhouses etc  but all good , and agree, the joys of youth, miss those days!

• Admin
1 hour ago, Med/MadHatter said:

Leather jacket but no studs for me :laugh:, I hated the "bike club" thing, prefer my independance, had plenty of friends in them so used to go visit their various clubhouses etc  but all good , and agree, the joys of youth, miss those days!

No studs for me either, but there was a great bike scene in Bristol in the 70’s/80’s.  

14 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Ha. The joys of youth.

‘Grebo’ was common, but I also remember being called a ‘squatter’ and chased up Cotham Hill by some skinheads.  Narrow escape...

• Admin
15 minutes ago, TomF said:

It’s nowhere near as good as it was 20 years ago never mind further back. 

At the risk of repeating stuff further back in the thread, it just seemed more.... exciting, daring, whatever then, as pubs and clubs closed at 22:30/23:00 and 02:00, so we had lock ins, underground clubs that whilst you were there, always had that slight edge that they might get busted.  There was one at the bottom of park street, up a little alley, one in Brook Lane St Paul’s, and many others.  The only 24 hour place was John’s cafe near the BRI.

No social media to advertise these places, it was word of mouth, get in once or twice with a friend or a friend of a friend and then you could get in again. It might not seem much to today’s youth who have clubs open all night, but it was a good craic and a very diversified scene, biker bars and clubs, punk bars, places like the Dug Out where many mixed, clubs and pubs where the mainly Caribbean community (and Irish) went, town pubs where the ‘kitters’ went and then they went onto the discos, which had a dress code.  The Hofbrauhaus, which was a strange mixture and good for a brawl with the odd bus load of Taffs in from Cardiff or Newport.  Clifton, some good pubs and a club whose name eludes me, but it was a great little place, the green rooms, Steamers, which an ex Avonmouth Docker bought with his redundancy - used to be the Quay club before that, a real den of hard men and iniquity.

1 minute ago, Maesknoll Red said:

At the risk of repeating stuff further back in the thread, it just seemed more.... exciting, daring, whatever then, as pubs and clubs closed at 22:30/23:00 and 02:00, so we had lock ins, underground clubs that whilst you were there, always had that slight edge that they might get busted.  There was one at the bottom of park street, up a little alley, one in Brook Lane St Paul’s, and many others.  The only 24 hour place was John’s cafe near the BRI.

No social media to advertise these places, it was word of mouth, get in once or twice with a friend or a friend of a friend and then you could get in again. It might not seem much to today’s youth who have clubs open all night, but it was a good craic and a very diversified scene, biker bars and clubs, punk bars, places like the Dug Out where many mixed, clubs and pubs where the mainly Caribbean community (and Irish) went, town pubs where the ‘kitters’ went and then they went onto the discos, which had a dress code.  The Hofbrauhaus, which was a strange mixture and good for a brawl with the odd bus load of Taffs in from Cardiff or Newport.  Clifton, some good pubs and a club whose name eludes me, but it was a great little place, the green rooms, Steamers, which an ex Avonmouth Docker bought with his redundancy - used to be the Quay club before that, a real den of hard men and iniquity.

Oh totally agree. Some of the 20 somethings in work find it bizzare that pubs had last orders at 22:30 and clubs only stayed open till 2. Part of the problem is that culture change - lots of people don’t go out till 10pm now and just stay out till 4am.  

9 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

This is true, the 70s had that atmosphere that i miss, anticipating the next fight, drink, drugs and all round edginess :laugh:, old bugger now and bored i guess

On 04/10/2019 at 21:14, Maesknoll Red said:

The Green Rooms, Rockpile and Steamers.....and before that The Lochiel floating pub :)

Guess I'm bored so Random post..I know with picking this thread back up, typical Fri and Sat night

College Tavern run by Martin early 90s ...last orders then "get out of my pub you horrible lot"

Then on to Corkers

Then over to Boulevard,

Then on to Pappillons/Odysseys if get passed Patrick.

If not back to Micky Finns for a burger or in to the Bombay and see Massam and Anjid Dk St for a curry.

27 minutes ago, MattWSM said:

Guess I'm bored so Random post..I know with picking this thread back up, typical Fri and Sat night

College Tavern run by Martin early 90s ...last orders then "get out of my pub you horrible lot"

Then on to Corkers

Then over to Boulevard,

Then on to Pappillons/Odysseys if get passed Patrick.

If not back to Micky Finns for a burger or in to the Bombay and see Massam and Anjid Dk St for a curry.

Great to see the Bombay get a mention in the 90s, was our back stop on nights out during the late 70s/early 80s.  Often used to get Welsh rugby club nights out, and stag nights in general into the early hours.  Remember more than one Friday/Saturday night when the curries were flying around, think they had a hot-line to the Police by the end of the 70s! Still going strong today as far as I know.

Archived