IGNORED

History Of Bristol Nightlife (Merged)

Big Red Rich

Glasshouse was always a good blast though became a bit of a youth club after a while. Sawyers Arms was another hangout at the time

The Glasshouse in now a Wetherspoons and busier than it ever was. The Sawyers is back to its traditional best years after landlord Wally went back up north. The most recent landlady has really turned it around and the atmosphere is like it was back in the 80s.

I'm having lunch today at the Royal Oak but I haven't been in the Queens Head for years so have no idea what it's like these days.

The Glasshouse in now a Wetherspoons and busier than it ever was. The Sawyers is back to its traditional best years after landlord Wally went back up north. The most recent landlady has really turned it around and the atmosphere is like it was back in the 80s.

I'm having lunch today at the Royal Oak but I haven't been in the Queens Head for years so have no idea what it's like these days.

The Sawyers was great back in the days when Bill Standing had it. Queens was always one of those funny pubs that you didn't really go in out of choice. Always enjoyed the food in the Royal Choke so enjoy your lunch. I understand LittleTone no longer runs the Glasshouse.

Anyone remember Lowenbrau's?

Great place for a cheap night out. Buy a stein, drink it yourself put the pot down and pick up another one....everyone else was dancing on the tables. Dirty trick I know but I was skint back then and pretty much everyone else was doing the same thing..

Great place for a cheap night out. Buy a stein, drink it yourself put the pot down and pick up another one....everyone else was dancing on the tables. Dirty trick I know but I was skint back then and pretty much everyone else was doing the same thing..

I just imagine one bloke constantly buying steins and not understanding why his beer keeps vanishing. ;)

• Admin

Do you mean Hofbrauhaus? (Or more often in Bristolese, Hoffenbrows) never was into the dancing on tables, but IIRC there used to coach loads of Taffs come over on a Friday night, usually ended in a scrap. They also had strippers on at dinner time in the 70's it was 5p to get in and about 25p a pint.

Do you mean Hofbrauhaus? (Or more often in Bristolese, Hoffenbrows) never was into the dancing on tables, but IIRC there used to coach loads of Taffs come over on a Friday night, usually ended in a scrap. They also had strippers on at dinner time in the 70's it was 5p to get in and about 25p a pint.

That's the one!

Don't remember many scraps or the prices but I do remember how easyit was for a one night stand. That was part of the attraction.

Had some cracking nights in there.

Saw Bo Diddley play there - pure class!

Searching Google for Hofbrauhaus, it comes up with the Bierkeller.  Is that the same place?  If so then they do still have steins and dancing on the tables - or at least they did a couple of years ago when I last went.

No 5p strippers or 25p pints though. :sad26:

If it was the Bierkeller that's another place I've seen the Wurzels play!

I recall going to the Bierkeller to watch Whistle Test being filmed live with, I think, Dr and The Medics being the live act.  Mid 80s I am guessing.

Saw some cracking concerts there over the years.

Saw the Redskins there circa 1985/6.  One of the best gigs I went to

Oh dear, oh dear. I used to go there with a mate of mine. He got so annoyed with people pinching his beer that he pee'd in a half empty glass on a couple of occasions and sure enough some passing fool could be relied on to pick them up and drink them. Not that it would have tasted much worse than the beer in there anyway. Cheers.

• Admin

Searching Google for Hofbrauhaus, it comes up with the Bierkeller. Is that the same place? If so then they do still have steins and dancing on the tables - or at least they did a couple of years ago when I last went.

No 5p strippers or 25p pints though. :sad26:

The name changed a few years ago, it might even have been something else in between Hofbrauhaus and Bierkeller, but so many clubs have come, gone and had numerous name changes I struggle to recall them all. Another one long gone was The Greenrooms and there was a proper gangster hangout called The Quay club, which ended up as Steamers (IIRC) which is also long gone.

Every saturday night head down to the prince Rupert, a few beers and the quiz machine then round to Odyssey to see if Patrick wanted to let us in! taxi to bristol best on way home on church rd then walk the rest of the way. good times!

The lightship! I think it got condemned and sent over to Barry to be scrapped IIRC? Remember stories of it being overloaded and water coming through portholes on the side!

Bristol nightlife around mid 90s was fantastic. Truly one of best cities in the country at the time. Has somewhat dwindled in last 10 years.

Club IQ.. Didn't that replace ritzy ?

Also nobody mentioned Cafe Blue..

Cafe Blue mentioned in my previous post. Page two I believe :P

I seem to remember it springing a leak and being too expensive to fix.

Too right about Bristol nightlife in the early to mid 90s, Tom. This city ruled musically then and there were dozens of buzzing and innovative places to spend the night time hours.

Much more friendly than the London scene. Happy days.

That might be the case about the lighthouse.. i think it was a tale told to me by my sister.

I think Sound City in 94/95? really brough the spotlight on Bristol. Lakota had already given Bristol a bit of a reputation but after that it really took off. 

It's strange talking to the 'yoouf' in our office these days, the culture of going out has changed. Nobody tends to go out much before 10-11pm and then stay out till 4-5am.  I guess they'll never know what 'last orders' at 10.45 was all about and the rush to get in to the queue for a nightclub before 11pm

Fondly remember monday nights with the Dave & Buster staff.. think it was Greenhouse for cocktails at 9, then over to McCluskies for god awful karioke.. magic times.

Archived