IGNORED

History Of Bristol Nightlife (Merged)

Big Red Rich

Not sure it was a leak that 'scuppered' the Lightship, I seem to recall it failed its inspection and the cost of repairing to a standard that allowed it to remain afloat and as a public bar, was too much to be viable.

Not sure it was a leak that 'scuppered' the Lightship, I seem to recall it failed its inspection and the cost of repairing to a standard that allowed it to remain afloat and as a public bar, was too much to be viable.

So the business sank then ?

Ps Cotham Brow; the CPS/Stores was a GREAT boozer. Great pic/avatar/whaddeva

CPS was legendary and I still regularly go there being in my neighbourhood. The Stores was a pub which in the last 15 year's has been either closed or rammed full of the whole spectrum of life. Always a great jukebox. Days of old meant you had 16 cigs passively but it never mattered leaving stinking of cigs until you smelt your clothes in the morning. Cops used to turn a blind eye to 'after hours'. Great banter with the cricket team. Wicket Keeper Wilf legend RIP. Love the Stores. Many City many Gas frequent (still do) much banter can be had I've had my share or pi$$ed taken out of and ive dished out. Great pub. Sadly not what it was now a Wickwar pub but if it wasn't for them it would be closed. Hail the CPS.King of the Hill.

CPS was legendary and I still regularly go there being in my neighbourhood. The Stores was a pub which in the last 15 year's has been either closed or rammed full of the whole spectrum of life. Always a great jukebox. Days of old meant you had 16 cigs passively but it never mattered leaving stinking of cigs until you smelt your clothes in the morning. Cops used to turn a blind eye to 'after hours'. Great banter with the cricket team. Wicket Keeper Wilf legend RIP. Love the Stores. Many City many Gas frequent (still do) much banter can be had I've had my share or pi$$ed taken out of and ive dished out. Great pub. Sadly not what it was now a Wickwar pub but if it wasn't for them it would be closed. Hail the CPS.King of the Hill.

Yes Wilf was quite a character. Lad I know plays for the cricket team, haven't they relocated? Also chatting to an old boy in there once who claimed to have toured with Adge Cutler back in the day. Bit of a curmudgeon and instantly reprimanded me when I swore at someone else in Italian, bizarrely. Great old proper boozer, do they still have loose change in the urinals!?

Anybody remember Bunch of Grapes in Small Street end of seventies....a City firm used to meet there before going to away games on leaders coach....forget his name....think it began with a B....they said they never ran from anybody...

Yes Wilf was quite a character. Lad I know plays for the cricket team, haven't they relocated? Also chatting to an old boy in there once who claimed to have toured with Adge Cutler back in the day. Bit of a curmudgeon and instantly reprimanded me when I swore at someone else in Italian, bizarrely. Great old proper boozer, do they still have loose change in the urinals!?

Sadly the cricket team has kinda lost steam a bit and think only play a handful of matches these days. Yeah they still do the pennies in the pi$$er charity collections but alas many of the olduns have either passed on or go to Long Bar, Beaufort, little grovner. Still the spirit of the stores carries on. often bump into an old timer and chat about the old times in there. Never forget my first ever time in there which was,a Friday afternoon 20-30 elderly cider drinkers watching the dambusters on DVD on a big screen. Quality.

I'd say Bristol is still a good night out but I think it's lacking something new on Saturdays. It all seems a bit mainstream at the moment, a new venue would really break things up a bit.

Anyone remember panache? Feels like zonks since that place shut down. Oh and platform one!

Platform one - bloody 'ell your're going well back.

On the contrary! It was where the UWE football team had their socials in my first year - 2011. I spoke to my dad about it at the time, found it very strange to be going to places he used to frequent at the same age!

I found it odd that when my kids went to school that some of the teachers I had were still there. One was an ex boyfriend of my sister !

• Admin

Tone. Walked past the Queens Head today. It's up for sale, but is still the Queens.

A few years back I used to drink in Nailsea a lot, got some mates still live there, I can remember when the Queens went Oranjeboom mad, it seemed everyone in there was drinking it, either straight or half and half with cider, not a sober soul in the house.

On the contrary! It was where the UWE football team had their socials in my first year - 2011. I spoke to my dad about it at the time, found it very strange to be going to places he used to frequent at the same age!

Must be either re-opened or renamed because Platform 1 was running in the late 60s

Sadly the cricket team has kinda lost steam a bit and think only play a handful of matches these days. Yeah they still do the pennies in the pi$$er charity collections but alas many of the olduns have either passed on or go to Long Bar, Beaufort, little grovner. Still the spirit of the stores carries on. often bump into an old timer and chat about the old times in there. Never forget my first ever time in there which was,a Friday afternoon 20-30 elderly cider drinkers watching the dambusters on DVD on a big screen. Quality.

Cricket team is still very much going strong- play every Sunday with home ground being at Lodway

Must be either re-opened or renamed because Platform 1 was running in the late 60s

Our socials stopped being there in second year due to it shutting down once more. Decent place though, and considering it isn't in the commercial centre of the city it was always busy whenever I went.

Also there's nothing wrong with house music!

Motion is still pretty good these days, even if they do get some artists you will never have heard of in your life. In fact, probably the best night out I have ever had was watching Fatboy Slim at motion in 2013.

That might be the case about the lighthouse.. i think it was a tale told to me by my sister.

I think Sound City in 94/95? really brough the spotlight on Bristol. Lakota had already given Bristol a bit of a reputation but after that it really took off.

It's strange talking to the 'yoouf' in our office these days, the culture of going out has changed. Nobody tends to go out much before 10-11pm and then stay out till 4-5am. I guess they'll never know what 'last orders' at 10.45 was all about and the rush to get in to the queue for a nightclub before 11pm

Fondly remember monday nights with the Dave & Buster staff.. think it was Greenhouse for cocktails at 9, then over to McCluskies for god awful karioke.. magic times.

Blue Lines by Massive Attack changed everything.

There were many reasonable Bristol bands before that, but few anybody from outside the area could name.

Blue Lines sprang forth a wellhead that defined the city in the mid-90s: blunted ; chilled; inventive; slightly jazzy ; multi-racial; cool and slightly "dark".

My then missis was signed to Cup Of Tea records in those days and I did a "chill out lounge" (God, the phrase dates me so much) at one venue and a 60s garage rock night elsewhere.

Although many people in the Bristol "scene" of those days were very awkward customers and a couple were downright nobends, no one was "starry" in my experience. Even those enjoying national fame.

After the millennium, nightlife got more corporate, professional and unfortunately soulless in this city.

Or maybe it's just me getting old!

Our socials stopped being there in second year due to it shutting down once more. Decent place though, and considering it isn't in the commercial centre of the city it was always busy whenever I went.

We are talking about the same Platform 1? Clifton station?

I remember coming out of retirement to umpire their cup final. Great fun.

Archived