IGNORED

Will Grigg - Walsall

Thornstar

I have heard we are not just after the assistant manager but also very interested in bringing in the young striker Will Grigg too.

I know lots will say we dont need any more strikers but only passing on what i have been told.

Grigg was one of 5 or 6 players listed on the Walsall forum who they are worried about City taking off them if O'Kelly joins.

Apparently they have a number of promising young players and a City scout was at their last game.

As for City having lots of strikers, it would be no surprise if 1 or 2 of them left the club in the near future.

I have heard we are not just after the assistant manager but also very interested in bringing in the young striker Will Grigg too.

I know lots will say we dont need any more strikers but only passing on what i have been told.

Do we have enough strickers? we are certainly paying for them but Stead, Baldock, Taylor and Davies all seem to have injury problems keeping them from being available every week.

Grigg is 21, born in Solihull but capped at senior level by Northern Ireland.

Not sure what sort of striker he is, but he's 5' 11" with a career record of scoring of 1 in 5.

Don't think u can read much into his scoring level yet nog

Remember ba was rejected by Watford and Barnsley as not being good enough and he scores for fun at chelski\newcastle now

Do we have enough strickers? we are certainly paying for them but Stead, Baldock, Taylor and Davies all seem to have injury problems keeping them from being available every week.

Stead will surely not have his contract renewed - he may not even last this window.

Baldock will be sold if we go down.

We've no idea if SO'D rates Taylor (non scoring) or Davies (injury prone) as his sort of players.

Always a big turnover with a new manager anyway but lots of question marks against our strikers and very likely the manager will want to make room for a couple of his own signings if possible.

Don't think u can read much into his scoring level yet nog

Remember ba was rejected by Watford and Barnsley as not being good enough and he scores for fun at chelski\newcastle now

Yep, he seems to be improving to nearer 1 in 3 as he gets older.

Only Div. 1 though so if we're interested it would be nice if it was more!

I don't think he'd be an instant replacement for Stead but I think alot of Stead's game is about experience, sent a couple of texts to Warsaw fans out for a low-down

The only things i've picked up are that he's a good player and is very aware of what's going on with defenders, with a good finish. Don't think he's a target man.

Out of interest ( to me anyway!) the Walsall players who supposedly impressed the City scout, according to a Walsall fan he spoke to:

Sam Mantom, 22, midfielder.

Will Grigg, 21, forward

Paul Downing, 21, defender.

Fabian Brandy, 23, forward

James Paterson, 21, forward

Malvind Benning, defender, age not given but recently upgraded from youth.

Obviously only a couple are likely to genuinely interest City, but they're an interesting club, full of young, mainly English players, often picked up from bigger clubs and making their mark at Walsall.

With City's recent stated policy of signing younger players you can see why Walsall might be the sort of club we'd be scrutinising, O'Kelly or not.

All these players started for Walsall v Bournemouth the other week (Walsall won 3-1), very young team and doing well:

• Ian McLoughlin (GK), 21
  • Malvind Benning (Def), 19
  • Paul Downing (Def), 21
  • James Baxendale (Mid), 20
  • Sam Mantom (Mid), 20
  • Jamie Paterson (Fwd), 21
  • Will Grigg (Fwd), 21

Add to that Fabian Brandy who is 23, average age of the first team must of been incredibly low.

Just checked others:

Adam Chambers, 32

Ben Purkiss, 28

Andy Butler, 29

Average age of starting 11 = 23.1!!

As Nogbad says, you can see why we're taking a look at some of these youngsters!

Texts back I got were "Rubbish mate, you don't want him" (I expect he's quite the opposite btw a tongue in cheek response) and "Found out Wolves are after him"

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/2013/01/23/transfer-rumours-jan-23/ - that's about as good as it gets. (on top of Sky Sports throwing in Posh, Derby etc.)

Response to Wolves looking at Walsall players is mixed on their forum though;

Good god. If these two are the sort of players we are looking at I want everyone out. Thelwell, Saunders, Moxey, Morgan, Wolfie, bloody everyone!

http://www.molineuxmix.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?p=1577640

I watched Walsall somehow lose to Shrewsbury on the TV a couple of months ago (Chris Weale man of the match) and (apart from failing to put the ball in the net) they played some superb passing football with the majority of their team looking excellent on the ball. However the player in Walsall's team that really stood out for me was Cuvelier who was on loan from Stoke.

I watched Walsall somehow lose to Shrewsbury on the TV a couple of months ago (Chris Weale man of the match) and (apart from failing to put the ball in the net) they played some superb passing football with the majority of their team looking excellent on the ball. However the player in Walsall's team that really stood out for me was Cuvelier who was on loan from Stoke.

I've seen Walsall on Sky a couple of times this season.

Earlier on they were on a great run and looked as much like Crewe as any side in the lower divisions could.

They then went on a terrible run slipping down the league and were clearly low on confidence the next time I saw then, though as they were playing Pompey they simply had to be competent to win.

Grigg was quite slight as I recall but a very hard worker who never gave up. Brandy (who I think started at Man U? but has had a number of teams since) showed one moment of outrageous skill, but looked a bit of a lazy sort.

Agree about Cuvelier, he looked the antithesis of a Stoke midfielder, which is probably why he's not ever been anywhere near their first team.

Certainly these sort of payers look like a good fit with our new policy regarding age and wage demands.

Yep, he seems to be improving to nearer 1 in 3 as he gets older.

Only Div. 1 though so if we're interested it would be nice if it was more!

But Nog that was the thought here on the 'he'll never make it in this league' Ricki Lambert...More or less.

If SoD and Kelly think its what we need and we can afford it Great.....Hopefully they have some ball winning CB's and a couple of midfielders in their pocket too!!

But Nog that was the thought here on the 'he'll never make it in this league' Ricki Lambert...More or less.

If SoD and Kelly think its what we need and we can afford it

Yep, I'll admit I was one of those who thought Lambert couldn't make the step up. That's the ingrained prejudice in me though, I can never bring myself be positive about anything BRFC!

I think City did make enquiries at one stage but the gas put a price on him that made it clear they were very unwilling to sell him to us. I'm almost sure Lambert himself said he wouldn't want to sign for City anyway.

In my defence Lambert was a porky so and so at Rovers who richly earnt the name 'Fatty' and he must be a couple of stone lighter these days, mostly shed from what seemed an enormous girth.

He certainly did prove me wrong, watching him against Everton the other night he looks a really impressive all round striker at the top level.

Out of interest ( to me anyway!) the Walsall players who supposedly impressed the City scout, according to a Walsall fan he spoke to:

Sam Mantom, 22, midfielder.

Will Grigg, 21, forward

Paul Downing, 21, defender.

Fabian Brandy, 23, forward

James Paterson, 21, forward

Malvind Benning, defender, age not given but recently upgraded from youth.

Obviously only a couple are likely to genuinely interest City, but they're an interesting club, full of young, mainly English players, often picked up from bigger clubs and making their mark at Walsall.

With City's recent stated policy of signing younger players you can see why Walsall might be the sort of club we'd be scrutinising, O'Kelly or not.

Chatting to a Walsall fan today and asked him straight out "Talk to me about Will Grigg?"

His reply "Yeah, he's a fantastic little player - love him, he's brilliant."

I then said it looks like City are interested. He changed his tune "Yeah, well he's alright, nothing special"

Think he was trying to put me off, ha ha!

Asked about Sam Mantom. "Keeps your hands off, we've only just signed him!"

Grigg looked impressive when they were on Sky against Pompey a few weeks ago. Put himself about and is a very un-selfish type striker who puts a good shift in. Benning was talked of highly by the commentators "Next big thing" "go on to play at a higher level" that kind of thing. Brandy looked half tidy after a spell abroad after his time a Man Ure.

Archived