IGNORED

Wes Burns Joins Forest Green On Loan...

!james

Exactly this.

Taylor deserves a chance under SoD before people completely write him off. He started the season well under McInnes and it was only when our form dipped he started to look out of sorts. Even so he is a good target man and I would love to see how he develops under SoD.

People need to understand he is a target man. He or most other target man type strikers will always lack goals if teams are not creating chances, or putting quality delivery into the box on a regular basis. We were absolutely toothless in attack under McInnes.

We need everyone available and fit for the run in. I for one will be pleased to see Taylor back.

Yes, we have to have most of the squad fit. 9 games remaining and as a City fan I want all the players fit.

Exactly this.

Taylor deserves a chance under SoD before people completely write him off. He started the season well under McInnes and it was only when our form dipped he started to look out of sorts. Even so he is a good target man and I would love to see how he develops under SoD.

People need to understand he is a target man. He or most other target man type strikers will always lack goals if teams are not creating chances, or putting quality delivery into the box on a regular basis. We were absolutely toothless in attack under McInnes.

We need everyone available and fit for the run in. I for one will be pleased to see Taylor back.

There were a lot of points on this topic in this thread.

Without recapping, here are the stats:

Stead 20 starts, 6 subs, 30 shots on target, 20 off target, 2 woodwork, 5 goals, 2 assists.

Baldock 16 starts, 9 subs, 17 shots on target, 19 off target, 2 woodwork, 9 goals, 2 assists.

Davies 12 starts, 16 subs, 23 shots on target, 24 off target, 3 woodwork, 11 goals, 2 assists.

Taylor 15 starts, 8 subs, 4 shots on target, 8 off target, 2 woodwork, 1 goal, 1 assist.

S.O'D will have to work some sort of miracle to make it worth playing Taylor.

Stead 20 starts, 6 subs, 30 shots on target, 20 off target, 2 woodwork, 7 goals, 2 assists.

Baldock 16 starts, 9 subs, 17 shots on target, 19 off target, 2 woodwork, 11 goals, 2 assists.

Davies 12 starts, 16 subs, 23 shots on target, 24 off target, 3 woodwork, 14 goals, 2 assists.

Taylor 15 starts, 8 subs, 4 shots on target, 8 off target, 2 woodwork, 3 goals, 1 assist.

How Jordan would view the stats?! :D

• Admin

Stead 20 starts, 6 subs, 30 shots on target, 20 off target, 2 woodwork, 5 goals, 2 assists.

Baldock 16 starts, 9 subs, 17 shots on target, 19 off target, 2 woodwork, 9 goals, 2 assists.

Davies 12 starts, 16 subs, 23 shots on target, 24 off target, 3 woodwork, 11 goals, 2 assists.

Taylor 15 starts, 8 subs, 4 shots on target, 8 off target, 2 woodwork, 1 goal, 1 assist.

I'd be interested to see how those appearances/goals work out pre & post SOD as I don't believe Taylor has had the benefit of working with him yet? Also excluding pens would have some effect.

I'd be interested to see how those appearances/goals work out pre & post SOD as I don't believe Taylor has had the benefit of working with him yet? Also excluding pens would have some effect.

For a fair reflection you have to wait for sod has been in charge for the same number of games As del

• Admin

For a fair reflection you have to wait for sod has been in charge for the same number of games As del

For instance, Stead's record wasn't that dissimilar to Taylor's before SOD arrived (2 goals, one of which was a penalty) and he has become a key part of our recent upturn in form. Who says SOD couldn't achieve a similar result with Taylor?

Lies, damn lies and statistics.

You believe your eyes, we'll believe ours. If football ever becomes as simple as a bunch of stats I'll be heading to the cricket and rugby more.

The stats are a simple objective measure that support the subjective observation that Taylor contributes very little. I've described the subjective point of view in the linked thread, you're welcome to read it.

I've yet to hear an argument for Taylor to be included in the side ahead of Stead that didn't go along the lines of "he's great and/or he's younger". My eyes tell me there's literally nothing he does better than Stead, and quite a lot Stead does better than him. The stats merely agree.

For instance, Stead's record wasn't that dissimilar to Taylor's before SOD arrived (2 goals, one of which was a penalty) and he has become a key part of our recent upturn in form. Who says SOD couldn't achieve a similar result with Taylor?

Stead's statistical record prior to SOD had a whole lot more shots in than Taylor's despite having less game time. Subjectively my opinion was that Taylor had work rate, effort and enthusiasm all deployed to little or no positive effect because he didn't actually manage to control the ball and hit red shirts with any sort of regularity. We lost the ball when it went to Taylor 7-8 times out of 10. Stead on the other hand worked just as hard and achieved a lot more, and we retained the ball much more when it went to him.

It will certainly be interesting to see if we try and retain Stead and if we play Taylor next season, and if the latter whether he does improve.

The stats are a simple objective measure that support the subjective observation that Taylor contributes very little. I've described the subjective point of view in the linked thread, you're welcome to read it.

I've yet to hear an argument for Taylor to be included in the side ahead of Stead that didn't go along the lines of "he's great and/or he's younger". My eyes tell me there's literally nothing he does better than Stead, and quite a lot Stead does better than him. The stats merely agree.Stead's statistical record prior to SOD had a whole lot more shots in than Taylor's despite having less game time. Subjectively my opinion was that Taylor had work rate, effort and enthusiasm all deployed to little or no positive effect because he didn't actually manage to control the ball and hit red shirts with any sort of regularity. We lost the ball when it went to Taylor 7-8 times out of 10. Stead on the other hand worked just as hard and achieved a lot more, and we retained the ball much more when it went to him.

It will certainly be interesting to see if we try and retain Stead and if we play Taylor next season, and if the latter whether he does improve.

7 or 8 times out of ten? Sometimes I question how it is that someone who usually offers so much useful insight into the game and club could be so wrong.

Bit your mind is not for changing, Taylor's first touch is class, amongst the best at the club. Taylor's ability to bring the midfield into the game is also amongst the best at the club, he's an unselfish striker granted, and that can be to his detriment but your assessment is harsh at best and misguided and wrong at worst.

We'll agree to disagree though, he's a new breed of passing footballer and would be an essential part of my team if we were to play the ball retention style the younger generation are accustomed to seeing.

Edit. As an aside, for someone who places such importance on statistical analysis it's surprising that you provide no stats to support your assertion about his ball control. I'm sure, if you were so inclined, that opta would provide you with those all important stats and your assertion would be proved to be exaggerated and wrong.

Taylor's attributes make him more suited to being a centre back imo, and a switch might improve his career prospects..

Otherwise he faces a low scoring future in the lower divisions.

I don't know how he's got this far as a striker in the first place.

7 or 8 times out of ten? Sometimes I question how it is that someone who usually offers so much useful insight into the game and club could be so wrong.

Bit your mind is not for changing, Taylor's first touch is class, amongst the best at the club. Taylor's ability to bring the midfield into the game is also amongst the best at the club, he's an unselfish striker granted, and that can be to his detriment but your assessment is harsh at best and misguided and wrong at worst.

We'll agree to disagree though, he's a new breed of passing footballer and would be an essential part of my team if we were to play the ball retention style the younger generation are accustomed to seeing.

Another argument that boils down to "he's great, he's young". Watching him play simply does not bear out any of your wishful thinking. It's called confirmation bias. Have you actually counted how many times we retain the ball when we play it to Taylor? My mate's Dad did after we had a similar discussion, and he found it quite surprising.

I don't see how anybody can call Taylor's touch first class. He almost never brings it under control safely with one touch, and never manages to control it so that he can turn or move with the ball quickly. Put him next to any of our other strikers and he's miles behind on control.

Edit. As an aside, for someone who places such importance on statistical analysis it's surprising that you provide no stats to support your assertion about his ball control. I'm sure, if you were so inclined, that opta would provide you with those all important stats and your assertion would be proved to be exaggerated and wrong.

I don't place a huge importance on statistical analysis but it's better than nothing - which is what you have to support your repeated assertion of Taylor's greatness. If you have the opta stats, please provide them. I don't have access any more - and in any case they didn't show things like time to get the ball under control, and couldn't pick out panicked hospital passes or trends like possession turnovers in the time following a pass to a player.

Taylor will never score goals he didn't and Rotherham in league 2 he won't here that's a factHe is a non scoring striker and is on the same level as Steve Torpey he should leave with the rest of the underperformed a here

So can wes come back them ? :)

So can wes come back them ? :)

He needs game time and won't get that here at the moment due to the number of players in front of him up front and on the right wing,

Next season will be an important season for him imo, hopefully his devlopment will kick on and he'll improve unlike the numerous under 21 welsh internationals we've had in the past,

Signs are there tho'

Taylor will never score goals he didn't and Rotherham in league 2 he won't here that's a fact

He is a non scoring striker and is on the same level as Steve Torpey he should leave with the rest of the underperformed a here

A fact or your opinion?

• Admin

I've yet to hear an argument for Taylor to be included in the side ahead of Stead that didn't go along the lines of "he's great and/or he's younger". My eyes tell me there's literally nothing he does better than Stead, and quite a lot Stead does better than him. The stats merely agree.Stead's statistical record prior to SOD had a whole lot more shots in than Taylor's despite having less game time. Subjectively my opinion was that Taylor had work rate, effort and enthusiasm all deployed to little or no positive effect because he didn't actually manage to control the ball and hit red shirts with any sort of regularity. We lost the ball when it went to Taylor 7-8 times out of 10. Stead on the other hand worked just as hard and achieved a lot more, and we retained the ball much more when it went to him.

SOD's methods seem to be based around teaching players to make the right decisions when they enter the field to hurt the opposition. Until this point we are seeing that Taylor does not do this with enough regularity. We won't know until SOD had had a chance to work with him whether he will be able to improve this but I for one will be happy if he is able to as, like others have mentioned, he appears to be stronger than Stead but with a similar work rate, if he can be taught to be more effective with his decision making then we will have a decent option up front, particularly on occasions when we wish to play 5 in midfield.

SOD's methods seem to be based around teaching players to make the right decisions when they enter the field to hurt the opposition. Until this point we are seeing that Taylor does not do this with enough regularity. We won't know until SOD had had a chance to work with him whether he will be able to improve this but I for one will be happy if he is able to as, like others have mentioned, he appears to be stronger than Stead but with a similar work rate, if he can be taught to be more effective with his decision making then we will have a decent option up front, particularly on occasions when we wish to play 5 in midfield.

O’Driscoll explained: “I can make players technically better if they are eight or nine. If they are 21 or over, I cannot make them technically any better. What I can do, is make them understand what they do really well and what they don’t do really well.

I guess much depends on whether he's got the Messi-like close control that Jordan alleges or not.

I genuinely hope he improves and is successful with us, but I won't bet on it.

ODriscoll explained: I can make players technically better if they are eight or nine. If they are 21 or over, I cannot make them technically any better. What I can do, is make them understand what they do really well and what they dont do really well.

I guess much depends on whether he's got the Messi-like close control that Jordan alleges or not.

I genuinely hope he improves and is successful with us, but I won't bet on it.

Now who's over exaggerating? Who mentioned messi.

Don't understand the need to completely undermine your argument with such petty crap.

We get you don't rate a player of ours. I do.

I swear you get on your high horse (no shock) about constructive criticism...

Archived