IGNORED

Alvaro Saborio

City_USA

I know a lot of you will just want to slate Alvaro, I know he didn't exactly pull up trees while at City, however he is doing well in the MLS and maybe thats his level. However I'm not here to discuss his abilities, just to say what a class act he is. As I've moved from Bristol to Colorado the only decent live football I can easily see is watching the Colorado Rapids compete in the MLS. Last night I took my 9yr old son to watch the Rapids take on Real Salt Lake ,who Alvaro currently plays for. After the pre match warm up he came over to us and signed our City shirts and took a photo. You could certainly tell how surprised he was to see City shirts being worn with pride so far away from Bristol. My point being, he made my son very happy and proud and has not taken off his City shirt all day and will more than likely wear it to school tomorrow where the only other football shirts worn by his mates are Manure and Barcelona. My only regret is now my son is fully invested in City and now has to share my pain and anguish!

He was a very good player. Did and would cut in the Championship no idea where people got the idea he wasn't good enough.

Was an excellent link up player he just missed home I believe.

I think people got the idea that wasn’t good enough was because he couldn’t shoot, couldn’t head the ball, or pass properly. He didn’t contribute much in terms of creative play either. Apart from these minor flaws he was great.

He was a very good player. Did and would cut in the Championship no idea where people got the idea he wasn't good enough.

Was an excellent link up player he just missed home I believe.

was something more in this for me. Said he missed home, left home, terminated his contracted as his parent club, then joined an american team 3 weeks later.

Another mystery from Ashton Gate

I know a lot of you will just want to slate Alvaro, I know he didn't exactly pull up trees while at City, however he is doing well in the MLS and maybe thats his level. However I'm not here to discuss his abilities, just to say what a class act he is. As I've moved from Bristol to Colorado the only decent live football I can easily see is watching the Colorado Rapids compete in the MLS. Last night I took my 9yr old son to watch the Rapids take on Real Salt Lake ,who Alvaro currently plays for. After the pre match warm up he came over to us and signed our City shirts and took a photo. You could certainly tell how surprised he was to see City shirts being worn with pride so far away from Bristol. My point being, he made my son very happy and proud and has not taken off his City shirt all day and will more than likely wear it to school tomorrow where the only other football shirts worn by his mates are Manure and Barcelona. My only regret is now my son is fully invested in City and now has to share my pain and anguish!

Even though my 5 year old daughter lives in Pennsylvania and appears to have zero interest in it, I still bring over plenty of City merchandise to try and keep the chain of misery going!! Been to a couple of Philadelphia Union games and surprisingly enjoyed them, what did you make of your MLS experience?

He was a strange one. I remember his debut at the Ricoh (when Maynard scored the screaming volley) and he was excellent. He did everything that you could ask except from score and he looked a real prospect but it of course never happened for him here. The main problem was that he was employed as a target man by Johnson, when of course anyone with eyes could see that he was not in any way a target man! He was another of a long list of loan strikers signed for this Club in that period that were used in a way that by no means played to their strengths. He was not even close to being the worst from the many we signed in that 2 year period!

A football player - this is getting scary :yawn:

Even though my 5 year old daughter lives in Pennsylvania and appears to have zero interest in it, I still bring over plenty of City merchandise to try and keep the chain of misery going!! Been to a couple of Philadelphia Union games and surprisingly enjoyed them, what did you make of your MLS experience?

My son wears his City replica shirt around mid-state Michigan, much to the bafflement of other locals.

He was brought up over there though and has never watched 'soccer' in his life.

I have to reciprocate occasionally and feign an interest in the Muskegon Lumberjacks!

I am going to see the Vancouver Whitecaps v Real Salt Lake on Saturday. I have been a few times and its great. Its not like going to City, but nothing can replace that. Its like going to football without any aggression or nastiness. Its a very North American "nice" experience.

I live on Vancouver Island ,so its an 1.5 hour ferry ride there and back. Just enough time to have a few sneaky beers. Then buses and Skytrain to downtown Vancouver. There is a group of 15 going across a few expats, some portugeezers and some homegrown woo hooing Canadians ha ha.

They play at BC Place

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/74/BC_Place_2011.jpg

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/sites/whitecapsfc.com/files/BC%20Place_Aerial.jpg

They get crowds of around 21,000 so a good turn out. I am a member of the supporters group the Southsiders. http://vancouversouthsiders.ca/

We have a player called Kershon Koffie playing for us. I highly rate this kid and suspect he could go all the way. Other notable include Kenny Miller and Nigel Reo-Coker.

All in all its a great day out on the lash with me mates. Its no substitute for the real thing, but its all I have available.

Its great to wake up on a Saturday morning knowing you are going to the footer!

Stevo

Archived