IGNORED

Season Tickets - What's Your View?

Blagdon Mike

I'll keep this brief. Season tickets sold at rock bottom prices to get as many people in the ground as possible. Sell out every week. Pack the Gate.

No gifts, vouchers, coupons, bring a friend or anything else.

This sums it up. Even at rock bottom prices, if we sell a good amount of ST's were likely to make equal or more revenue..

No stupid gimmicks.

Pensioner rates for over 60's and all unemployed.

1% discount for every year you've had a season ticket, up to a maximum of 15 or 20 years.

Same price as last year.

Why should people who don't work get a discount..?! Is this a joke..?!!

I say keep it simple...£250 for Atyeo and Eastend. £300-£350 for Dolman and Williams. This represents a decent discount in most stands and should entice those who are unsure whether to renew or not to either stay where they are or move stand to accommodate their budget.

The percentage the players wages drop should be followed with season ticket price drop or as close as financially possible. If for example players wages drop 30% yet season tickets drop by 5% that would be a sure fire example of the club taking the piss. If the tickets dropped 20% that would seem a good. Keeps 10% extra with the club.

Do you not think it is slightly disingenuous to present your ideas as to what a season ticket should cost without mentioning that you have no intention of purchasing one whatever the price?

Do you not also think that your simple logic is somewhat distorted by the fact that for the last four seasons the operating costs of the club have outstripped revenue earned by more than 100%?

Do you not realise that in the light of the SCMP the Directors' fiduciary duty to the shareholders (and their responsibility to all that want to see Bristol City survive as a going concern) requires them to put maximising available revenue above repaying some perceived debt to supporters in fixing prices for next season?

Do you not also see that the implications of the SCMP are such that the available budget for players' wages will fall by 60% of any shortfall in season ticket revenue?

Of course if you believe that a 20% cut in prices will prompt a 25% increase in demand then your suggestion is entirely valid but would be in any event regardless of relegation. In fact, if the Directors agree with you I can see no reason whatsoever why they would not do it as, for all their failings, I feel sure they would rather maximise revenue than take the piss as you put it.

Now if you wish to be constructive - perhaps you could outline the evidence you rely on to support your views on price elasticity of the demand for season tickets as it seems to me that demand is much more dependent on expectation of performance on the park than it is on price.

Do you not think it is slightly disingenuous to present your ideas as to what a season ticket should cost without mentioning that you have no intention of purchasing one whatever the price?

Do you not also think that your simple logic is somewhat distorted by the fact that for the last four seasons the operating costs of the club have outstripped revenue earned by more than 100%?

Do you not realise that in the light of the SCMP the Directors' fiduciary duty to the shareholders (and their responsibility to all that want to see Bristol City survive as a going concern) requires them to put maximising available revenue above repaying some perceived debt to supporters in fixing prices for next season?

Do you not also see that the implications of the SCMP are such that the available budget for players' wages will fall by 60% of any shortfall in season ticket revenue?

Of course if you believe that a 20% cut in prices will prompt a 25% increase in demand then your suggestion is entirely valid but would be in any event regardless of relegation. In fact, if the Directors agree with you I can see no reason whatsoever why they would not do it as, for all their failings, I feel sure they would rather maximise revenue than take the piss as you put it.

Now if you wish to be constructive - perhaps you could outline the evidence you rely on to support your views on price elasticity of the demand for season tickets as it seems to me that demand is much more dependent on expectation of performance on the park than it is on price.

No. The question is What's your view. I gave it. It matters not I won't be getting one. That has no relevance to the question.

But thanks for pointing that out. Hey maybe I would buy one if they followed my idea. But I wouldn't hold my breath :)

And at the end of the day, all of what you talk about above is not my problem. That is the owners problem. A owner who wants fans yo come back. A owner I have made my opinions clear on. He chose this way to run the club. He can carry on. I won't be back while he is in charge. But maybe my idea, be it s crap one is in the interests of the fans.

No. The question is What's your view. I gave it. It matters not I won't be getting one. That has no relevance to the question.

But thanks for pointing that out. Hey maybe I would buy one if they followed my idea. But I wouldn't hold my breath :)

And at the end of the day, all of what you talk about above is not my problem. That is the owners problem. A owner who wants fans yo come back. A owner I have made my opinions clear on. He chose this way to run the club. He can carry on. I won't be back while he is in charge. But maybe my idea, be it s crap one is in the interests of the fans.

My only point is that the financial viability of the club is also in the interest of the fans. After some years of watching a rich man's plaything this could easily be overlooked but the SCMP will bring that era to an end whether we like it or not

Whether the financial viability of the club is more or less important to a committed non-paying forum poster than the price of a season ticket is of course for the individual to freely decide.

It seems to me that the willingness of even some of our most committed fans to spend more on Sky subscriptions supporting billionaire clubs in the Premier League than they are on keeping their own club afloat is precisely why professional football finds itself where it is. the SKY money has inflated the cost of running a club at all levels but has only matched it with revenue for the fortunate few.

No vouchers unless they can be redeemed at any time.

As someone else has mentioned, a draw at every home game to win a signed shirt/football/club related prizes.

As for price, very hard to achieve but if we could somehow have a sliding scale where the more STHs we get, the price goes down slightly.

At the end of the day, the club need to sell as many STs as possible, would be good if we could average 12k next season but a lot will depend on the right price STs.

I think Norwich sold their tickets really cheap when they dropped into league one didn't they. They attracted large crowds and kept a good core of support through promotions. I'd rather be sat in a stadium packed to the rafters, creating atmosphere than rattling round in a quarter full one, nothing worse.

So sell out and sell cheap or charge £400 and have 5000 people attend. I think Jon L did business studies or something at uni didn't he, and the rest of the board are businessmen , so I'll be staggered if they can see this or make it work.

The message reading through the posts on this thread and others is a loud and clear 'No Gimmicks'.

First few cup rounds free. For example, any JPT game played at home would get 1 or two thousand in, same with the early rounds of the Carling cup. An extra 3 to 4 thousand would be in AG to support the team if tickets were free in those early rounds for ST holders. NO VOUCHERS, all very misleading.

Sell cheap and make the prices attractive. There's nothing worse from a football fans point of view than a stadium with dire atmosphere and 1/4 full.

I'll keep this brief. Season tickets sold at rock bottom prices to get as many people in the ground as possible. Sell out every week. Pack the Gate.

No gifts, vouchers, coupons, bring a friend or anything else.

Yes. Wish there was something like re-tweet on this forum for threads like this.

My only point is that the financial viability of the club is also in the interest of the fans. After some years of watching a rich man's plaything this could easily be overlooked but the SCMP will bring that era to an end whether we like it or not

Whether the financial viability of the club is more or less important to a committed non-paying forum poster than the price of a season ticket is of course for the individual to freely decide.

It seems to me that the willingness of even some of our most committed fans to spend more on Sky subscriptions supporting billionaire clubs in the Premier League than they are on keeping their own club afloat is precisely why professional football finds itself where it is. the SKY money has inflated the cost of running a club at all levels but has only matched it with revenue for the fortunate few.

My money will begoing on go karting, something I always wanted to do.

I don't do sky. Never have done. Overpriced. I hsbe a free digibox, one off payment, and I have whatever the free channels are on that. So no sky finance for me.

In terms of SL's ownership. I think my opinions on that are clear. I don't need to go over them again. I will add anyone taking over a football club should have a plan to stick to, not change willy nilly every few years.

cant see they can reduce it a lot and retain a certain return to cover wages, were probably going to drop 2500 season tickets anyway, regardless of cost, thats around £1m income down,

would dropping prices 15 / 20% mean those 2500 season ticket sales be kept., because thats what it would need to heep the income the same on lower prices.

its catch 22, even getting more value for money, we all want better players, you cant afford them if the income drops, SL can;t put his hand in his pocket any more even if he wanted to.

Glad its not a decision i have to make,

i'd maybe go for keep them the same, maybe cheaper family tickets, its families coming that adds income through shop sales etc,

this may upset the traditionalist supporters, but the games changed, like it or not, clubs cannot survive without corporate income, and the extras spent by family groups, who will spend their money at the ground, unlike fossils like me who visit the pubs and the Clarks pie van outside the ground before the game.

also maybe season tickets to include cup games, on our recent records, thats not a bad gamble for the club.

First few cup rounds free. For example, any JPT game played at home would get 1 or two thousand in, same with the early rounds of the Carling cup. An extra 3 to 4 thousand would be in AG to support the team if tickets were free in those early rounds for ST holders. NO VOUCHERS, all very misleading.

Sell cheap and make the prices attractive. There's nothing worse from a football fans point of view than a stadium with dire atmosphere and 1/4 full.

I don't think free cup tickets is feasible. The revenue from cup games is split between the two teams involved and the FA.

Visiting clubs would rightly challenge why 'x' thousand of non paying fans are in attendance or expect revenue from the game as if they were paying customers.

I don't think free cup tickets is feasible. The revenue from cup games is split between the two teams involved and the FA.

Visiting clubs would rightly challenge why 'x' thousand of non paying fans are in attendance or expect revenue from the game as if they were paying customers

Exactly what I was going to say.

Following on from Cynic's ideas, what about a half season ticket in reverse. I know we do ones from around Boxing day onwards but what about from August to Boxing day?

ok we might be playing rubbish and people won't renew but maybe it's worth the risk as we'd sell tickets we might not otherwise sell anyway. They could be slightly dearer than a full ST, but still cheap enough for them to be good value. The option could then be available then to go on and purchase the other half ST as normal. This way the cost could be split for people not able to commit for a full ST all at once. At the moment the only option between August and December is to POTD or purchase a full ST which is quite a commitment financially and time-wise, there has to be a better way surely?

Performance related..... Finish below position X or less than X points and you get £100 off next years ST. Apply the same sort of criteria to players' contract and we'll all be in it together.

Makes sense actually. And when we start performing again, they can raise the ticket prices and no one would have a problem with it.

Good to get feedback before the meeting Mike. Good luck when you sift this lot and put it forward.

I'll state my position from the off. I'm unlikely to get a ST. The entertainment has been so poor for the past 3 seasons that it's not been worth the long round trip and the time spent away from my family.

To those suggesting loyalty schemes...these have a limit. In the recent past I'd got sufficient of those loyalty points to more or less guarantee I could buy a ticket to every away game. The attraction of that declines when we put up spineless performances and lose most of the matches.

From the club's POV I'd be amazed if they started their discussion seeking to retain ST holders who will renew whatever. I know people on here who attend every game cos they live around the corner from the Gate. A ST represents a discount for them as it is.

I'd have said that the club's priority should be the people who fit into Timbo's category of folk making a ST purchase as an investment in the financial future of the club. For years my family was in that category. We never went to enough home matches to save any money with a ST, but we wanted to support the club at the start of the new season. These people need assurance that their money will be spent well. Which would mean a significant shift in the way the club invests and communicates its strategy...I could fit into this category if the club gets this right. I'm sure I'm not alone.

But the whole ST price question is linked to the POTD price. It obviously can't be cheaper to attend POTD. The club needs to attract walk up supporters who won't renew, or have never been ST holders. The POTD prices have been too high in recent years. Strikes me that they need to be under £20. And the club might do more to discount tickets to specific groups in the community who would otherwise be excluded by price - including the city's large student population.

• Admin

I agree with some sort of loyalty reduction, maybe 5% off when you buy your 5th consecutive ( and renewsubsequently ) and another 2% off at 10, 15 and 20 years.

Also, as someone who works shifts, I would like to see some sort of facility whereby I could 'buy' my seat for the season, but take the option to offer the seat for resale for a certain percentage of games. This season, QPR fans had an option to resale their seats on line if they couldn't make a game, I appreciate we won't be sold out, so the scheme would have to differ, but surely the club could come up with a scheme that enables supporters who'd like to buy a season ticket, but know they can't make every game.

I do have a beer in the ground at half time, but never buy any food or clothing. Just charge a fair price for the beer ( and food for those that want to eat) and keep all the gimmicks and offers.

Finally, whilst I understand the need to maximise income, I would expect the renewal price of my season ticket to be below that of last years price and if it's not, I will become a selective POTD supporter, who might get easily swayed into not coming.

I know I'm not a City fan and therefore my input is probably of no use whatsoever to your fans parliament - which I really like the idea of by the way - but for what it's worth...

I've always though a club that's just been relegated needs a good support in the following season and should either offer sensibly priced season tickets (something like a 25% reduction from the previous season) or with EVERY ticket give a kids ticket for free.

That way you entice the dad who might be tempted to take his kids a few times dependent on price, who in turn want a burger, drink and programme and a shirt so you make that money back with ease.

Also have a book of say five vouchers that are given with each ST that allow a friend to come along for a set price, something like a tenner. In most cases that ticket would be used by someone who would otherwise not bother, and in many circumstances not even be a fan of the club, but by letting your kid take a mate cheap then you entice the future generation of supporters.

Love the idea of free entry to cup games but I can see the case for that not being possible due to shared gate receipts. At the very least though season ticket holders should get free entry to pre-season friendlies.

Above all, have a clear and concise pricing structure so you know where you stand. At Rovers the club started flogging next seasons tickets in March, before we even knew if we would be a football league team, saying that the 'early bird' price (which previously had been until the end of June or July) would finish at the end of MARCH and prices would rise. No mention of how much they would go up by of course, until a few days from the end of March when the offer was miraculously extended by a month. Then prices jumped up to the early bird price from last year.

I don't believe enticing football fans to a ground is rocket science but I think far too many clubs either over complicate the process or just get plain greedy.

Or, in the case of Bristol Rovers, both.

Archived