IGNORED

When Is The Contract Cut Off Point?

beaverface

Leeds have already announced 10 players who are leaving

I think clubs announce players leaving after the last game of season (generally), the cut off point is the start of pre season training/friendlies, which I believe are either an of 30th May, 30th June, or 1st of July.

Correct - 30th June.

But now the season is over, the club can decide who goes, who stays and who gets offered a new contract.

It'll be an interesting week coming up, one which will give us an insight into SODs thinking for the coming season.

The fact that he was/is keen to keep Skuse isn't a good start.

I'll say it again

Contracted players will leave only if other clubs are prepared to offer better wages than we are contracted to pay them plus in the case of three or four (maximum) prepared to pay a substantial fee. No contracted player will leave (even on a free) if another club is not prepared to at least match what we are obliged to pay them. It is worth noting that prospective suitors (like us) are coming to terms with FFP and/or the SCMP and hence may not be as willing to take players as they have been in previous windows.

Similarly - out-of-contract players will only sign new contracts for Bristol City if we offer them more than they can earn elsewhere. In the circumstances, even if the projected season ticket revenue is realised (which must be a significant risk) SO'D's available wage budget for new signings (over and above the contracted players) is only 12% (100% minus 88% already committed) of the SCMP cap. I estimate this to be approximately £600K. As a consequence unless:

• we are able to move some of the contracted players out PDQ; and/or
  • SO'D intends to sign only three (or less) additional players

we will not be making offers to established players (whether ours or others) which they cannot refuse unless the alternative is unemployment.

Sadly the days when a club could unilaterally decide who was to be retained whether under contract or not have long passed.

Archived