IGNORED

Fans Parliament Tonight...

!james

Taken from the bcfc yahoo group

Fans Parliament last night, the main item being a discussion about the club's season ticket proposals for next season which, I should add, met with (almost) unanimous approval from those present. I won't say more as an announcement is due in the next week or so.

However, the evening started with the announcement of Keith Burt as Director of Football followed by a surprise (well to me anyway...and apparently also to Sean) Q&A session with Sean, Keith and Jon Lansdown. I wasn't the only one present who came away excited by the vision, strategy and commitment to see it through (yes, I really am talking about BCFC). Keith Burt's appointment was clearly received very positively by Sean, in fact his words were something along the lines of "if I was the owner this is how I'd run the club". It is very clear that Keith has substantial experience (7 years at Forest) and a strong team of scouts working for him. His role is to find the players that Sean wants, but Sean was very clear that he has the final say, as he has to work with them. There was also a big emphasis on getting players who are the right 'types' - they also made it very clear they know which positions are crucial!

Both Sean and Keith come over far better in person than on TV/radio - Sean was smiling & relaxed and even made us laugh. More importantly he talks more sense than I've heard from most managers who have far more sound-bites! For the record, my wife knew Sean when he was a player at Bournemouth and said he's always been very shy and never suffered fools gladly - is it surprising then that he doesn't react well to stupid questions from the media.

We also had a presentation from Martin Griffiths (Bristol Sport) about the proposed stadium redevelopment which has been amended substantially to reflect fans' wishes - and looks a lot better for it! (boxes going in the dolman and not eastend)

The final presentation was a very passionate and enthusiastic talk by Amy Kington (Interim Director of the Academy) about the attempt to obtain Category 2 status for the Academy and the reasons why.

Since relegation became a certainty (and even before) - a number of fans have used words like 'shambolic' and 'rotten culture' to describe BCFC (although personally I've never subscribed to that view). If that's your view - I wish you'd been present last night as I believe, like me, you'd have come away with a very different view. Others who were there came away excited and believing that there has been a very real culture change actually over the last few months (despite relegation).

We have a head coach who's here for the long haul, a tremendously experienced Director of Football, an academy that is showing massive potential, some very good business brains in charge of the finances and last but by no means least, an owner who is a fan, a Bristolian and is still passionately committed to Bristol City. We could be in a far worse position off the field - I firmly believe that, given some time, we'll eventually be in a far better position on it!

I won't be getting excited until I start to see those 'very real culture changes' on the pitch. Results are everything.

I won't be getting excited until I start to see those 'very real culture changes' on the pitch. Results are everything.

Really..?! Results under Johnson were generally great, but his tenure also was largly responsible for the decay that has set into the club, culminating in eventual relegation.

Results are important, of course - a sound footing for the club and the furture are every bit as important though.

If results are everything, then you should be looking forward to next season, where they should be better than this season. Is that the case..?

But you still have to go through the process of making the required changes until the results you want to see actually happen. Getting rid of every player out of contract and putting every contracted player up for sale bar the one or two we would ideally like to keep but won't be able to when we get decent bids on the table isn't the culture change that everybody is calling for - it's blind panic and will see even worse results. Imagine the uproar and panic on here when the twenty three new players were taking time to bed in and results that mean "everything" aren't going our way!! Buckle almost finished the job at the Blue Few, until Nicky Pigs rudely interrupted him, with that policy.

But you still have to go through the process of making the required changes until the results you want to see actually happen. Getting rid of every player out of contract and putting every contracted player up for sale bar the one or two we would ideally like to keep but won't be able to when we get decent bids on the table isn't the culture change that everybody is calling for - it's blind panic and will see even worse results. Imagine the uproar and panic on here when the twenty three new players were taking time to bed in and results that mean "everything" aren't going our way!! Buckle almost finished the job at the Blue Few, until Nicky Pigs rudely interrupted him, with that policy.

Except KG, that's not a million miles away from the scenarion O'Driscoll was faced with at Forest this time last year.

But he still put together a side from virtually nothing in a matter of weeks. Assisted in that task by one, er, Keith Burt. Amidst a takeover by new owners no less. And had them bedded in so well that his scratch side were 7th in the table when their dumbass new owners got rid of him.

Remind me again where O'Driscoll and Burt are working now?

Which is why I'd be sorely tempted not only to get rid of all our out of contract garbage (Heaton not included) but sack off some of the dogshit still in contract too - Foster, Fontaine, Wilson, Kilkenny, Elliott, Pearson.

Of course it won't happen, I live in the real world. It's an emotional trigger-happy response. But does reflect the depth of feeling around the place at the minute, I think.

Let's hope by August we've all managed to relax a wee bit.

But why should new players take longer to gel with each other to form a team than they would with the residue of this seasons' failures? It's not as though we are left with the framework of a really good team for newcomers to fit into.

Is a new CB liable to gel quicker with a still out of sorts Fontaine, or will playing alongside an apparent wreck actually hinder his integration into the team? Surely he's better off starting his City career with another confident new signing with everything to prove.

We can't get rid of every single player, nor would we want to, but we should aim to replace the majority of those who've let the club down this season or the new signings will start with a severe handicap.

But why should new players take longer to gel with each other to form a team than they would with the residue of this seasons' failures? It's not as though we are left with the framework of a really good team for newcomers to fit into.

Is a new CB liable to gel quicker with a still out of sorts Fontaine, or will playing alongside an apparent wreck actually hinder his integration into the team? Surely he's better off starting his City career with another confident new signing with everything to prove.

We can't get rid of every single player, nor would we want to, but we should aim to replace the majority of those who've let the club down this season or the new signings will start with a severe handicap.

The problem being that the vast majority of the players who have "let us down" are IN contract and not quite as easy to get rid of.

The problem being that the vast majority of the players who have "let us down" are IN contract and not quite as easy to get rid of.

My point was on players gelling, and that it wouldn't necessarily be a disaster in waiting if City had to field a more or less new team.

Which is why I'd be sorely tempted not only to get rid of all our out of contract garbage (Heaton not included) but sack off some of the dogshit still in contract too - Foster, Fontaine, Wilson, Kilkenny, Elliott, Pearson.

Disgraceful comments

and please tell us the process for sacking contracted players ? That would be the legally binding contracts the club were happy to offer and the players were happy to accept.

Disgraceful comments

and please tell us the process for sacking contracted players ? That would be the legally binding contracts the club were happy to offer and the players were happy to accept.

You pay the contracts up.

Although I do not understand why you cannot sack them for failing to perform their duties. Happens in any other job.

Disgraceful comments

I would suggest that if S'OD was adament he didn't want them and nobody is likely to buy them, then we could do alot worse than paying up their contracts now or try to agree mutual termination. That way they wont count towards our wages next season. Wouldn't be the first time we have paid up somebodys contract.

It might be costly now but may be beneficial in the longer term.

Disgraceful comments

Disgraceful comments???? The disgrace is the ******* that have robbed a living from this football club.

I would suggest that if S'OD was adament he didn't want them and nobody is likely to buy them, then we could do alot worse than paying up their contracts now or try to agree mutual termination. That way they wont count towards our wages next season. Wouldn't be the first time we have paid up somebodys contract.

It might be costly now but may be beneficial in the longer term.

No club would do this, maybe for one player as a last resort but never for a number of players.

We'd have to pay their contracts in full plus pay wages for their replacements......................we're cutting costs - not increasing them.

Disgraceful comments???? The disgrace is the ******* that have robbed a living from this football club.

Players like Elliott got us promoted to the championship.

Some players might be coming to the end of their time at City, and we're all disappointed at relegation - but the dogshit comment was out of order and juvenile.

You need to look at who signed some of them, but you can't say Elliott has "robbed a living" when you look at his total time at city.

Some people are getting carried away - we all knew it was not feasable to get rid of contracted players, it's the same at every club.

Get over it.

Some players might be coming to the end of their time at City, and we're all disappointed at relegation - but the dogshit comment was out of order and juvenile.

You need to look at who signed some of them, but you can't say Elliott has "robbed a living" when you look at his total time at city.

Some people are getting carried away - we all knew it was not feasable to get rid of contracted players, it's the same at every club.

Get over it.

Small point, and sorry to be picky, but Elliott joined us after we got promoted.

Get over it.

They've been utter dogshit. Go hug them if it makes you feel better.

They're easy to spot, look for the guys coming away from AG on payday with bags on their backs saying SWAG as they rob the club.

Get over it.

Elliott refused to mix with supporters after the Uddersfield game......says it all for me.

Louis Carey, Stead & Adomah attended.

They've been utter dogshit. Go hug them if it makes you feel better.

They're easy to spot, look for the guys coming away from AG on payday with bags on their backs saying SWAG as they rob the club.

Doesn't really matter what you or I think of the performance of certain players

The key point is - They are under contract and there is nothing that can be done to alter that and no amount

of ranting on an internet forum from you will change that.

It is - what it is. As SOD hs acknowledged.

No club would do this, maybe for one player as a last resort but never for a number of players.

We'd have to pay their contracts in full plus pay wages for their replacements......................we're cutting costs - not increasing them.

Not really, for example:

Player X has 12 months to run on his contract, he is shite, won't play for us again and nobody will buy him off you.

You may be able to agree a mutual immediate termination where he accepts 9 months wages of his contract but can then look for immediate employment elsewhere - good for both parties.

You have just saved money, not wasted it.

Thinking about it, did we not do that this season with Damion Stewart and Jody Morris?

Not really, for example:

Player X has 12 months to run on his contract, he is shite, won't play for us again and nobody will buy him off you.

You may be able to agree a mutual immediate termination where he accepts 9 months wages of his contract but can then look for immediate employment elsewhere - good for both parties.

Thinking about it, did we not do that this season with Damion Stewart and Jody Morris?

Agree totally.

We seem very happy to do this at the end of January but not in the summer.

Personally I think we should be looking to offload two or three of our major jokers ASAP if they have one year left, especially if it doesn't count towards next years ffp.

As i said, the club might pay off the odd one (Stewart & Morris left in different seasons) but the poster I replied to

was talking of ridding half a dozen players.

And of course -presumably SOD does actually rate some of the contracted players !

Not really, for example:

But the operative word is "may" - they have to agree to it, you can't force them to accept it.....

Get over it.

+1

I for one am impressed by the minutes...actually looking forward to the close season with more anticipation than I expected...

Of course words are much easier than actions, but I was heartened reading that.

Same here I was a bit sceptical before going but they answered all my questions honestly they wern't just trying to apease us I don't think and of course I had to get that £3 a pint deal in at the end. :drunk2:

I must confess I haven't followed this stuff very much. The minutes are useful and interesting to read.

At point 2 can I ask what the idea is behind designing a new robin badge? It's the first I've heard of it. What will its use be?

Although I don't feel strongly against the robin, I am slightly concerned that a minority(?) pressure group are determined to foist the robin back on our shirt regardless of anyone else. I don't believe there is any evidence to suggest that this is something desired by the vast majority of fans.

What's the position on this?

Get over it.

Sorry to be picky mate but Elliott was signed by GJ when we were in the championship.

Some have 'robbed a living' from us over the years but I would say Marv was not one of them.

Archived