IGNORED

Which Rows Of Seats Will Make Way For Boxes In The Dolman?

Bat Fastard

There's not much room at the top/back of the Dolman so I would think the top 10 rows will disappear depending on how large to boxes will be. Access to the boxes will be a problem. It'll be interesting to see how they solve that particular problem.

There's not much room at the top/back of the Dolman so I would think the top 10 rows will disappear depending on how large to boxes will be. Access to the boxes will be a problem. It'll be interesting to see how they solve that particular problem.

I agree there isn't much room for them. Solve the problem by not putting them there at all. Better to put them into a purpose built stand ready to accommodate them.

• Admin

and putting in sufficient emergency exits if electrical points etc will be up there

I heard that these executive boxes will be fire risk resistant cardboard boxes. These will slip over the first five rows of seats at the back. The windows will fold down on match days. Prawn sandwiches will be wrapped in foil and placed on the seats. They'll be a disposable plastic cup for the champagne. But you'll have to bring your own. Saves a lot of money on catering staff.

On a more serious note, I have been told several times by stewards that you are not allowed to drink in sight of the football pitch. So how come the prawn sandwich brigade can drink in sight of the pitch?

I am saying this because I was drinking from the cider bar outside the east end. I stood next to the burger van to drink while looking at the pitch and the steward told me I had to move because I was in sight of it. :dunno:

I seem to recall that the club proposed exec boxes to the rear of the Dolman in about 1997. The plans were included in the Centenary Programme for the Liverpool game which was played during the pre-season before the 97/98 season.

From what I recall the plan was to lose the top 8/10 rows to construct the boxes, and then a new lift shaft structure would have been erected on the back of the Dolman stand to access the boxes.

I am not sure why the proposal was never implemented... assume cost and potential construction difficulties?

If anyone still has the programme they could perhaps scan in the image and upload?

On a more serious note, I have been told several times by stewards that you are not allowed to drink in sight of the football pitch. So how come the prawn sandwich brigade can drink in sight of the pitch?

I am saying this because I was drinking from the cider bar outside the east end. I stood next to the burger van to drink while looking at the pitch and the steward told me I had to move because I was in sight of it. :dunno:

The same rule applies in the boxes. Generally, a curtain is pulled across the window and you can only drink behind that - where there is no view of the pitch.

I happened to be in a box for the Blackburn game (we were offered tickets via the Blackburn kit man - a city fan). The stewardess in the box told us that we were not even allowed a cup of coffee in sight of the pitch because they couldn’t be sure that we hadn’t poured some alcohol into the mug!

The Ipswich chairman is trying to get this perverse rule repealed http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-21046128

The same rule applies in the boxes. Generally, a curtain is pulled across the window and you can only drink behind that - where there is no view of the pitch.

I happened to be in a box for the Blackburn game (we were offered tickets via the Blackburn kit man - a city fan). The stewardess in the box told us that we were not even allowed a cup of coffee in sight of the pitch because they couldn’t be sure that we hadn’t poured some alcohol into the mug!

The Ipswich chairman is trying to get this perverse rule repealed http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-21046128

Thanks for the insight.

I didn't know you get your own private steward. I hope she was polite and not the usual standard that we get.

As for the link, what the police and the FA are basically saying is all football fans are treated as hooligans.

Clearly an 80 metre retractable ladder will be placed against the rear of the dolman and executives will scale this and climb through a man-sized cat flap into a wicks garden shed at the top of the Dolman.

Prawn sandwiches will be distributed at the foot of the ladder in tin foil wrap and Buck's Fizz in a small plastic bottle both cunningly housed in a plastic carrier bag along with a copy of the evening post. This will allow executives to simply slip the carrier bag over their wrist, leaving both hands free for the climb to the summit.

The club are considering £5000 per match as a suitable price for this luxury.

The whole of the Dolman is to be ripped out, it wont matter which seats you were in before because none of it will be the same apart form the shell.

Is this true?

I was very critical of the previous plans as I pointed out the leg room in the Dolman to be a complete joke and felt they had let the opportunity to do a great job on the stand pass by, if this is true I will be delighted!

It will be a complete refurbish. Aren't they increasing the capacity? That means the increased capacity will cater for the boxes not affecting other seating. Probably wrong though.

They released figures saying all stands would increase in capacity - however this was before the club consulted fans on the location of the boxes, and they decided to go with putting them in the Dolman as opposed to the East End, so that may have changed now.

They released figures saying all stands would increase in capacity - however this was before the club consulted fans on the location of the boxes, and they decided to go with putting them in the Dolman as opposed to the East End, so that may have changed now.

I would imagine the dolman will lose around 500 seats now? Although surely the new East end will have more in as a result, so may even itself out. If we get to have safe standing that adds an extra 3k on the capacity anyway, so would surely take it around (or above?) 30k capacity. More than adequate imo.

Does anyone know which rows of seats will be lost to make way for new boxes in The Dolman. I am in row W and was wondering if I will have to move. Thanks.

Just row A.

The thinking behind this is to avoid the regular debate about people leaving early. Assuming that once supporters are seated they are able to build the boxes without anyone noticing, they should be able to keep captive everyone in the Dolman.

The club may look at increasing revenue by selling tickets to members of the public who wish to study the supporters who are expect to go feral within a few hours.

This revenue stream will be spent partly on the upkeep of the stadium, with the rest being used for food and drink for the supporters who will be expected to exist on a diet of Yorkie bars, cold Bovril and lukewarm sausage rolls.

I've been told that we'll lose about five hundred seats, that equates to three rows which would make the boxes 3m deep including the existing gangway at the back. Having said that, if they include outside seating for the boxes as in other grounds, then more rows will be lost, which might include mine.

Archived