IGNORED

Chelsea To Sign 14-Year-Old Bristol City Teenager Jacob Maddox

!james

Sky Sports understands Chelsea have won the race for Bristol City teenager Jacob Maddox.

Maddox is regarded as one of the brighest young talents in the country after emerging on the scene at Bristol City.

The 14-year-old was promoted from the Under-14 set-up last season to the Under-18 side and he is highly-regarded at Ashton Gate.

A host of the Premier League's top guns were monitoring Maddox's situation at Bristol City and Chelsea have moved to lure the youngster to Stamford Bridge.

Maddox is believed to have agreed a four-year deal at Chelsea with Bristol City due a compensation fee for his services.

Anyone heard of this lad? Getting a compensation fee for him...

Oh super, we get a quality kid and he's snaffled by the blue scum

How can this happen? Surely there are rules around poaching younger players

I give up

Plus you can guarantee he will never play for the first team.

I give up

no there are no rules now these were scrapped under the EPPP the Cat one academys can take pretty much who they want at next to nothing,

We as a tier two can do that to a tier 3 club

What a waste of talent, he'll end up being released at the age of 18 most probably

I'm hopeful that young Joe Morrell will benefit from turning down Liverpool to stay with us as it's gave him a greater chance of first team football when he does reach senior age, well, as long as he continues to put in the hard work and doesn't get complacent because Liverpool showed interest! Which will probably be what happens to this lad if he goes to Chelsea at the age of 14.

Scott Sinclair left R***rs at 15 for Chelsea. Had to leave to get regular football but it worked out ok for him in the end. I'm sure he would argue he's had more opportunities in the long-term with bigger clubs as a result of going to Chelsea rather than staying in Bristol.

Plus you can guarantee he will never play for the first team.

Absolutely.

Remember those 2 lads they poached from Leeds? One had an unsuccessful trial at Yeovil last season.

Make sure we've put a date in our diary for when they release him in 2017.

Its gréât news that we have some quality coming through .shame we cant sell for huge sums like Southampton .

Today we are a selling club ,i am sûre in time we can emulate saints and keep our best players.

Onwards and upwards

Are we feeling a little 'francais' aujourd'hui?

The big problem is that we really have not been good at bringing through our own in the last 30 years or so.

Yes we think that is changing and that will encourage kids not to move to Chelsea etc, but until that is seen to be the case kids will continue to move to the big clubs like a shot (normally) if the chance arrives!

"Officially signed for chelsea today very pleased"

https://twitter.com/jacob_maddox10/status/346338222315536384

Frustrating though considering he appears to be related to one of our own academy coaches (David Horseman - Lead Youth Development Coach)

https://twitter.com/HorsemanDavid/status/340444916167610368

https://twitter.com/HorsemanDavid/status/345563153779806208

https://twitter.com/HorsemanDavid/status/346245469283946496

The big problem is that we really have not been good at bringing through our own in the last 30 years or so.

Yes we think that is changing and that will encourage kids not to move to Chelsea etc, but until that is seen to be the case kids will continue to move to the big clubs like a shot (normally) if the chance arrives!

Chelsea hardly bring on their own! Best of luck to the kid, but the top teams will just buy in foreign talent as and when needed then blood in youngsters from their respective academies. It wouldn't surprise me if Jacob finds himself on the scrapheap at 18, looking for a championship/league 1 club to sign him up again.

I'm encouraged that his coach in our Academy tweeted this:

looking forward to watching spain, always play great possession based football!!!

— trevor challis (@trevorchallis) June 16, 2013

Now if he could help our youngsters play the same way that'd be great ;)

Is that ex rovers Trevor Challis?

Chelsea hardly bring on their own! Best of luck to the kid, but the top teams will just buy in foreign talent as and when needed then blood in youngsters from their respective academies. It wouldn't surprise me if Jacob finds himself on the scrapheap at 18, looking for a championship/league 1 club to sign him up again.

Yes I agree that will probably be the case (scrapheap), however that would also likely be the case here as well!

Chelsea dont concentrate a lot of scouting resources at watching school and other organized youth football, they concentrate resources at pinching talent from other clubs at a young age. How many come through is not actually that high, however Terry, Sturridge among a very few others must make it worthwhile, probably!

I give up

there are - and they ensure PL teams can take young players for insultingly low fees

the PL threatened to pull the plug on a lot of things like parachute payments if FL teams didnt agree to it, its a joke

I give up

This is the big issue with EPPP, it's stacked in favour of the big clubs.

The Prem clubs basically held a gun to all clubs below them and said accept it or lose all your FA funding.

Is it any wonder why a lot of us hate the Premier League and what it stands for.

Yes I agree that will probably be the case (scrapheap), however that would also likely be the case here as well!

Chelsea dont concentrate a lot of scouting resources at watching school and other organized youth football, they concentrate resources at pinching talent from other clubs at a young age. How many come through is not actually that high, however Terry, Sturridge among a very few others must make it worthwhile, probably!

Sturridge came through Man City's youth ranks as far as I'm aware.

This does leave me asking this question to myself. If we do the same sort of thing, using our CAT2 status under EPPP and snaffle up a talented youngster from say Exeter at an age of 13 or 14, what is in place to stop a CAT1 side then doing the same thing again and taking him off of us a year later for example?

As a general rule i thought EPPP was set up so that the very best young players end up at CAT1 clubs as they can give them the best chance of developing, then so on and so forth down the CAT rankings. Surely the CAT1 teams can't sign up ALL the best young talent? So many young players from Prem clubs that end up loaned out to Champ, L1 and L2 clubs that are not CAT1....im confused, if thats how you develop them then why not just let them stay at the lower league club you got them off of?

Archived