IGNORED

Chelsea To Sign 14-Year-Old Bristol City Teenager Jacob Maddox

!james

The clubs know the score in terms of what EPPP really means - i.e. the biggest clubs get the best players from any part of the country on the cheap. So what do you do? Just lie back and accept it or do what City appear to be doing already? You offer incentives and I wouldn't be surprised if clubs have got legal boys on the case too. For example could Category 2 clubs offer pre-contract agreements to the boys at say 14 years of age with high compensation clauses in them if they were to be broken?

I bet Category 2 and 3 clubs will be examining every way possible to bend the rules back in their favour!!

City are offering contracts to these age groups , but not with these clauses for some reason

Given the fact our track record of promoting from the Academy to the first team squad is on a par if not worse than Chelsea's then it's understandable why a kid wants to join one of the big boys of English football. So far the club has stated they want a change in philosophy and bring on our young kids to be the backbone of the club in the future. When this starts to happen the best of our youth set up may prefer to be playing first team football in Bristol, but until then we will surely lose more talent to the big 8 academies. Once we take a leaf out of Southampton's book and play the very best 16 year old kids regularly we will reap the rewards both on the pitch and financially. As for young Jacob Maddox I wish him the very best and will keep my eye on his progress. Now it's up to Sean O'Driscoll to blood the very best 16/17 year old kids and give hope to the next bright talent that his future will be best enhanced by staying with us.

The big problem is that we really have not been good at bringing through our own in the last 30 years or so.

Hammer. Nail. On the head.

Chelsea hardly bring on their own! Best of luck to the kid, but the top teams will just buy in foreign talent as and when needed then blood in youngsters from their respective academies. It wouldn't surprise me if Jacob finds himself on the scrapheap at 18, looking for a championship/league 1 club to sign him up again.

I hope not, for his sake, hope he fulfils his promise. But there are so many who disappear without trace.

the system is sooo biased towards the big boys.....again

I've given up hoping that it will ever change, to be honest

We need to look to our old mucker Mr Moyes for a few helpful loans, perhaps

We did. But if he is spotted 3 months later and is doing well, what is stopping a cat1 academy taking him away from us straight away? If they are good, chances are the majority won't be hanging around a cat 2 place. All depends if there is a limit to the number of youngsters you can have at an academy? Anyone know if there is a limit? If the talent is good can we fast tract to first team or does age dictate up until 17 or 18

There is a limit, can't find the link anywhere at the mo.

Got the figure of 40 per Cat1 in my head from somewhere.

City are offering contracts to these age groups , but not with these clauses for some reason

Good thinking by the club because if a bigger club does come in it gives the player and his parents something to think about. Do you send your boy to a Category 1 Academy or keep them at City knowing that as long as he keeps progressing there is a professional contract on the table for him as soon as he is old enough to sign it.

If a player is determined to go to the Category 1 club then there is nothing you can do about it and if he is that good he would still have been poached under the old system albeit for more money.

"Officially signed for chelsea today very pleased"

https://twitter.com/jacob_maddox10/status/346338222315536384

Frustrating though considering he appears to be related to one of our own academy coaches (David Horseman - Lead Youth Development Coach)

https://twitter.com/HorsemanDavid/status/340444916167610368

https://twitter.com/HorsemanDavid/status/345563153779806208

https://twitter.com/HorsemanDavid/status/346245469283946496

:laugh:

Archived