IGNORED

O'driscolls Spanish Blog - Day 1

!james

A 2.30am Sunday morning alarm call signaled the start of our five-day training camp in Alicante. We flew out of Bristol Airport and were in Spain by 9am.

The complex we are based at is specifically-geared up to hosting sports teams, which enables us to focus on the work we want to do and the objectives we want to achieve from the week, without having to worry about whether the food is going to be athlete-friendly or the kit laundry turnaround is going to be quick enough.

We’ve been back in pre-season for just over two weeks now, and with another three weeks before out first league game of the season you have to make sure training is kept diverse and interesting, while also ticking all the fitness and physiological boxes you obviously have to tick to stop it becoming repetitive.

With such a high turnover in players already this summer it is also crucial that the players get to know one another and the coaching staff and medical staff get to learn more about the new signings – both their physical and mental attributes.

A few days away with no distractions and a focus solely on preparation gives us the chance to do this while taking the boys outside the familiar environment of our Failand training complex.

The training days will be long and varied while there will also be a number of team meetings with different agendas.

When you are trying to introduce a whole new culture to a group of players, many of whom don’t know each other, you have to make sure that everyone understands and fully buys in to what you are trying to do.

Our two main objectives for this week are to return with a group of players who understand the traits we want to define this squad and what it will take to be a member of this squad, and identify and nurture leadership qualities in players.

Leadership comes in many different forms. Some players stand out naturally and do it vocally, some do it by leading through example and their behaviours while others have qualities you think could make them a good influence but they need to recognise it in themselves and be encouraged to have the confidence to do it.

You don’t have to be a shouter to be a leader, but being respected is crucial.

I’m a big believer that teams should have 11 captains on the pitch at any one time and that, just like in rugby, they are demanding of each other. They need to have the bottle to tell their team-mates when they think the standard is below that expected of the group. Likewise they need to be able to take it and not sulk or get stroppy if they are being told to pull their socks up by a team-mate.

It’s the same with supporting. If we are working with players on certain aspects of their game, and they try something in a game that doesn’t come off but it was the right thing to do, the rest of the team need to keep encouraging them, tell them to keep doing it, say well done, even if what they have done has been met with sighs of frustration or disappointment from the crowd.

We have made a concerted effort to identify and recruit young, talented players with potential so far this summer but the only guarantee is that they will make mistakes as we try to improve them. The role their team-mates can play in keeping their heads up, believing and not hiding is much more powerful than anything the coaching staff can do from the sidelines during 90 minutes.

It is easy for players to be pumped and supportive of each other when things are going well, it is when it is not going their way that this on-pitch support network takes on such an importance.

It sounds like simple common sense but it is just not something engendered in young players in the English game. Leadership doesn’t come naturally to some players.

Character can define a player more than ability, and players who are prepared to take responsibility on the field are absolutely essential ingredients in any successful side.

We are not going achieve a complete culture change in five days, that – depending on the individual – can take weeks, months or sometimes years, but we can continue the process of creating common bonds amongst the group to really start to foster the sense of identity that comes from being part of a strong team.

When I say we need to change the dynamic of the squad, this is the kind of thing I’m talking about.

Building relationships and understanding between players in terms of movement and the technical and strategic side of the game will only come through playing together more and players recognising, and developing instincts, for what their team-mates are going to do with the ball, where they are going to run, where they want the ball played to them, etc, at any moment in a match.

But all the non-practical stuff is something that has to be worked on and looked after because it is just as crucial in a team being successful, as for example, a strike pairing developing a telepathic understanding, good full-back/wide-midfielder combinations or the relationship between the keeper and defence.

It is how a team deals with disappointment that will define how successful they can be because the only certainties in football are you will concede goals and you will lose football matches.

If you admit defeat every time you concede a goal you’ve got no chance.

Although we obviously have to be as competitive as possible to win games in League One, it’s unrealistic to expect us to be the finished article by August 3rd.

But this week will go a long way to laying the foundations and setting the tone for what we hope will be a rejuvenated, successful squad dynamic, in which everyone believes in, and feels a part of, what we want to achieve.

Sean O'Driscoll

Very insightful words from SOD, hope more follows from the week

Less discourse and more action?

He obviously identified pretty early on the club's tranfer dealings were poor. He bought Keith Burt here.

He said they would be targeting young, hungry players. That is what we've recruited this pre-season.

He's told us for months the dynamic of the team needs to change and it's got no identity. You can already tell from pre-season there is an attempt to start playing football.

As far as I can see everything he's told us he wants to do he's doing.

But if you think it is going to take five minutes to fix everything that has so obviously been wrong for the last 18 months then you probably shouldn't come to games for the first three months of the season, and please don't post on here.

He obviously identified pretty early on the club's tranfer dealings were poor. He bought Keith Burt here.

He said they would be targeting young, hungry players. That is what we've recruited this pre-season.

He's told us for months the dynamic of the team needs to change and it's got no identity. You can already tell from pre-season there is an attempt to start playing football.

But if you think it is going to take five minutes to fix everything that has so obviously been wrong for the last 18 months then you probably shouldn't come to games for the first three months of the season, and please don't post on here.

Here Here... well put Jim

It screams out to me how we were lacking a leader for a while now and he has recognised this and trying to find a candidate to take on that role, captain. But also recognising you can still lead without the armband, respect is key, no sulkers required.

A team of young, hungry, confident, talented players has got to win points haven't they?

It screams out to me how we were lacking a leader for a while now and he has recognised this and trying to find a candidate to take on that role, captain. But also recognising you can still lead without the armband, respect is key, no sulkers required.

yet everyone tells me he's a Kilkenny fan!!!

After reading that, I am slightly more confident in what the team is trying to achieve, not only on the pitch, but off of it. For me, what screams from the article is that we might be a little off (in terms of players) where SOD wants us to be. I almost read it as being a bit of a plea to the fans for patience as he goes on to explain what he wants from his players.

I get the feeling that we may not be in for an easy ride in league one, and although on paper we have a very competitive squad, as SOD explains, we’re trying to change the clubs way of thinking which could potentially take time. I for one am excited about this new regime, so I really do hope that the fans get behind the team even if we have a bad patch. As SOD touches on, Bristol City is broken in terms of spirit and direction. This could be blamed on a number of managers and the stamp they tried to put on the club, but SOD is trying desperately to fix that.

So, what am I trying to say in a long winded way? Let’s all get behind the team, I know most of us do, but we are all guilty of throwing the toys out of the pram when we have a bad spell, and I think most of us would agree City fans are maybe a little bit more fickle than most.

IN SOD WE TRUST!! Well, I certainly do..

Dont like the way he wrote that, not exciting enough for me, should have done it in a different font.

After all the delivery is far more important than the content, some would have you believe.

Yes, not a single smiley :(:grr:

The subtext that the players he has signed aren't the best ( "will make mistakes") harks back to saying his squad wasnt good enough last season either. Hardly one for endearment and team bonding if your boss is still saying, well you are a bit rubbish continually is it?

What utter sh**e! Sorry but you genuinely think young players some of who have got no league experience but are potential are going to be world beaters from day one? Everyone on this board has been crying out for months for us to sign this sort of player, but most people seem to accept they aren't going to be the finished article and are prepared to give them time to develop. How is he saying they aren't the best?

The squad wasn't good enough last season, that's a fact, not an excuse! Not sure there would be one person on here who would disagree with him on that. It's why we've flirted with relegation for the two seasons before last and went down last year. Only spanking money on expensive loans got us out of it before. What's your suggestion? That we keep doing that? Cos it's been really successful so far!

You might not like his 'management speak' as you call it, but he's right, culture is everything. Man Utd have got a culture, Arsenal have got a culture, Swansea have got a culture, Team Sky have got a culture, the lot that won that cricket match yesterday have got a culture. But you seem to think that can all be put right in the space of pre-season.

I know I'd rather have him as my boss than you!

So much work has so obviously been going on behind the scenes to try and get everyone pulling in the same direction since SOD arrived but because you're not privy to every single bit of it you're not willing to give anyone any credit at all. But then when the club does try to communicate better about what has been going on all you do is slag them off for it and demand actions not words.

I've got not a shadow of a doubt that if SOD left tomorrow the club would be on firmer foundations than it was six months ago.

Words, all they are (like the ones I write here are) are just words at this stage. if he starts doing on that side of things rather than procrastinating then I may have more time for him! The subtext that the players he has signed aren't the best ( "will make mistakes") harks back to saying his squad wasnt good enough last season either. Hardly one for endearment and team bonding if your boss is still saying, well you are a bit rubbish continually is it?

“A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.”

~ Albert Einstein

“Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.”

~ Mahatma Gandhi

“Experience is the name we give to our mistakes.”

~ Oscar Wilde

“Even a mistake may turn out to be the one thing necessary to a worthwhile achievement.”

~ Henry Ford

"... the players he has signed aren't the best ( "will make mistakes") ..."

~ RalphMinesLeftFoot

What utter sh**e! Sorry but you genuinely think young players some of who have got no league experience but are potential are going to be world beaters from day one? Everyone on this board has been crying out for months for us to sign this sort of player, but most people seem to accept they aren't going to be the finished article and are prepared to give them time to develop. How is he saying they aren't the best?

The squad wasn't good enough last season, that's a fact, not an excuse! Not sure there would be one person on here who would disagree with him on that. It's why we've flirted with relegation for the two seasons before last and went down last year. Only spanking money on expensive loans got us out of it before. What's your suggestion? That we keep doing that? Cos it's been really successful so far!

You might not like his 'management speak' as you call it, but he's right, culture is everything. Man Utd have got a culture, Arsenal have got a culture, Swansea have got a culture, Team Sky have got a culture, the lot that won that cricket match yesterday have got a culture. But you seem to think that can all be put right in the space of pre-season.

Agree with this. There is no way on earth the club will be free of it's past mistakes in less than 3 months, it will take a season or 2 to see any real benefit. Swansea is the model we should be following, the complete culture change didn't happen overnight, it took years to feed it through the club before it got to this stage. Deary me, some are going to have a real wake up call this season.

He is the boss.

Less discourse and more action in terms of performances and improvements, it's at least two long diatribes we've had from S O'D since he took over about how he is doing this and that on the field, but as yet, nowt has materialized and that's in terms of performances over results. We 'appear' to still be in relegation hang over mode, I appreciate that it's only friendly time, but the same or similar mistakes are still prevalent. He's been here 6 months or so. So it's not too soon to start seeing some changes on the pitch(they dont have to be massive, but ironing out some basic been here for ever issues that are still in effect would be a huge start), A week away full of seminars and meetings and the like isnt the be all and end all of everything and isnt going to solve that. it's all a matter of course that should have been addressed by any manager. So apologies for not getting the bunting out just yet.

Words, all they are (like the ones I write here are) are just words at this stage. if he starts doing on that side of things rather than procrastinating then I may have more time for him! The subtext that the players he has signed aren't the best ( "will make mistakes") harks back to saying his squad wasnt good enough last season either. Hardly one for endearment and team bonding if your boss is still saying, well you are a bit rubbish continually is it?

No trobule on that front; think it is pretty obvious to everyone that the only thing you're waiting to get out in relation to SOD is a knife.

We are always going to get some supporters that expect results straight away,that's football supporters for you,nothing wrong with that,though hope the majority of fans can see what SOD is doing here(which I believe they can) is that he's building for the future and results won't always be the right ones,I'm ok with this as long as the players who play give a 110% each game and try and play some decent stuff,got a lot of young players that have come in and as long as they show the above,I will support them and the team through the good and bad times.

What I won't stand for though,is inept performances or commitment from so called season pro's that killed the club last season, which IMO theres 3-4 still here,everyone deserves a second chance and its up to these 3-4 (if still here come opening day) to show us that actually they do care and want to do well.

"the only certainties in football are you will concede goals and you will lose football matches"

Not so negative please Mr. O'D., less of a defeatist attitude which will be picked up by some if had said, ".... the only cetainties are in football that you will concede goals and over the balance of your career you will win less often than you will lose or draw"

He can certainly talk the talk but on the pithc he has yet to prove he can walk the walk. Football is a results business, more now than ever before.

I was encouraged on Saturday in the opening 45 mins by all of the starting 11 except for three .... Fontaine, Kelly and Davies. I'll exempt Baldock and Bryan from criticism as hardly featured in last seasons run in that was nothing short of disgraceful.

Fontaine, a bag of nerves, Kelly lots of effort and no end product and Davies still not looking like an athlete. The second half was dreadful. Taylor will never be a reliable goalscorer as long as I have a hole in a certain part of my anatomy!!

Anything more than 4 points from the opneing three fixtures and I will be very surprised!

I think the rot goes back a bit further, but I take your point and agree

"the only certainties in football are you will concede goals and you will lose football matches"

Not so negative please Mr. O'D., less of a defeatist attitude which will be picked up by some if had said, ".... the only cetainties are in football that you will concede goals and over the balance of your career you will win less often than you will lose or draw"

He can certainly talk the talk but on the pithc he has yet to prove he can walk the walk. Football is a results business, more now than ever before.

Why is his realism taken as negativity by so many people? You do concede goals in football matches, and more often than not last season the minute we did concede you could pretty much guarantee it was game over. I read what he's saying as we need more people in the team to believe that if we do go a goal down it's not the end of the world and we can come back from that and still win. Surely that's a positive message not a negative one?

Of course football's a results business, SOD's not a stupid bloke and he'll know that as much as anyone.

I'd say he actuallly did walk the walk in parts. He managed to get more out of a group of players who up till his arrival hadn't kept a clean sheet or showed any sign of doing so. He kept six, and Brendan Maloney was the only addition. We also saw some decent performances and good football, including the game we lost against Bolton, and signs that the team at least had a clue what it was doing.

Ok we reverted to type in some games, Derby away, Huddersfield at home and Wolves, which ultimately killed us, but for a while the bloke was making a half decent fist of making a silk purse out of a sow's ear, something McInnes certainly wasn't doing a great job of. Fergie would have struggled to have get something out of our collection of random players who had been bought with seemingly no idea where they would fit into the team. Step forward Paul Anderson.

Bloody hell someone's got to start fixing the problems we've had and at least he seems to have recognised where the problems are and is actually trying to do something about it, while telling us what he's doing and why.

Anyone expecting him to come out and say we will get promoted this season is going to be disappointed, he's never going to be that type of manager, although you've only got to listen to the interviews of the players we've signed to know that privately there is a sense behind the scenes that we can give it a good shot.

Get the feeling some of us are never going to be able to accept that in our manager though. Shame.

If SOD could manage as well as he can talk he'd have beaten David Moyes to the United job.

The jury is firmly out for me until we produce some attractive football with decent results - yes we've signed players with clear potential, but they haven't had a single chance to prove whether they might realise it. Glass half full but there's so much overreaction to so little on here, the season hasn't even started.

I was encouraged on Saturday in the opening 45 mins by all of the starting 11 except for three .... Fontaine, Kelly and Davies. I'll exempt Baldock and Bryan from criticism as hardly featured in last seasons run in that was nothing short of disgraceful.

Fontaine, a bag of nerves, Kelly lots of effort and no end product and Davies still not looking like an athlete. The second half was dreadful. Taylor will never be a reliable goalscorer as long as I have a hole in a certain part of my anatomy!!

Anything more than 4 points from the opneing three fixtures and I will be very surprised!

Bit harsh on Bryan and Kelly. I thought they both had very accomplished games. Kelly was busy and worked well with Wynter whereas Bryan looked to take on his opponent (albeit foster) and drew a lot of fouls.

With regards to Sod, he's an articulate man of you listen to his words rather than the voice. He writes well and his programme notes are the only manager's words I've taken in since GJs early days.

He can say what he likes as long as we get the results and the club keeps making forward strides.

Archived