IGNORED

O'driscolls Spanish Blog - Day 1

!james

So, if the captain can't play the match gets cancelled! Can't see that working myself. Also, does this mean they'll be running round the pitch with their arms outstretched and making plane noises like we did when we were little dappers?

Only if we score.

Perhaps on day five they will work on goal celebrations.

But if someone respected in football said it people would lap it up, we'd only rip it apart from Ward cos it's the Gas. Some of us respect SOD and like the fact he's trying to communicate what he's trying to do so we'll be impressed and enjoy this kind of stuff, but the fans who still aren't really sure about the bloke will use it as another thing to demand less words, more action. The only way he's ever going to win is progress on the pitch. I just think in all the stuff he's written and done so far this pre-season at least he's recognised the problems we've all been shouting about for months and has tried to do something about them. We weren't a team last year, we had no leaders and some players looked like they couldn't give a rat's arse a lot of the time. Everything he's written in today's blog says he agrees with us!

Agree with all of that.

Plus, the sags would have to be the Blue Arrows and that just doesn't work.

seems more & more to me that if you are not on this trip then you ain't wanted ....

I think that part 2 of SOD's blog is another interesting read.

I think you are spot on with your assumption of anyone not on the trip either being close to a move away, or simply not being wanted around the place for "other" reasons.

Whilst they are, of course, working on fitness and routines, it does sound as though a large emphasis of this trip is on team meetings and getting to know and trust each other (quite rightly too) so if anyone carrying a bit of a knock and was not able to train, you would think that there would still be real benefit in them being there to partake in what they can of this time away as a squad.

Fair to say that anyone not there, will not be anywhere near the first team come the seasons start.

But if someone respected in football said it people would lap it up, we'd only rip it apart from Ward cos it's the Gas. Some of us respect SOD and like the fact he's trying to communicate what he's trying to do so we'll be impressed and enjoy this kind of stuff, but the fans who still aren't really sure about the bloke will use it as another thing to demand less words, more action. The only way he's ever going to win is progress on the pitch. I just think in all the stuff he's written and done so far this pre-season at least he's recognised the problems we've all been shouting about for months and has tried to do something about them. We weren't a team last year, we had no leaders and some players looked like they couldn't give a rat's arse a lot of the time. Everything he's written in today's blog says he agrees with us!

I'd disagree with the word "all". Offering contracts to Carey & Nyatanga were poor decisions IMO. He also wanted to keep Heaton, Stead and Skuse, more poor decisions, again IMO.

A complete overhaul was and is required, and it looks like we are seeing early signs of it. On paper I'm happy with all the players he's brought in so far, good ages and given that they were all prepared to step down at least 1 level, presumably hungry and confident of doing well. It will be interesting to see what the team looks like on August 3rd, but even then we will have a lot of last seasons players in the side, so I'll give him until next August before I start lauding everything he's done.

DMc said he was going to clear the deadwood from the squad but only added to it, we don't know yet that SOD hasn't done the same.

So, if the captain can't play the match gets cancelled! Can't see that working myself. Also, does this mean they'll be running round the pitch with their arms outstretched and making plane noises like we did when we were little dappers?

We need to sign Jan Aga Fjortoft (sp?) Ex-Swindle premier league striker.

Shame he wouldn't fit in with our new recuitment policy. over the last few years, we would have been all for signing someone that used to be good 15 years ago and his goal celebrations would have fitted in perfectly.

I'd disagree with the word "all". Offering contracts to Carey & Nyatanga were poor decisions IMO. He also wanted to keep Heaton, Stead and Skuse, more poor decisions, again IMO.

A complete overhaul was and is required, and it looks like we are seeing early signs of it. On paper I'm happy with all the players he's brought in so far, good ages and given that they were all prepared to step down at least 1 level, presumably hungry and confident of doing well. It will be interesting to see what the team looks like on August 3rd, but even then we will have a lot of last seasons players in the side, so I'll give him until next August before I start lauding everything he's done.

DMc said he was going to clear the deadwood from the squad but only added to it, we don't know yet that SOD hasn't done the same.

I can see the logic in offering Carey something cos SOD seems to see him having an important role helping the younger lads, I can't see him playing many games so can't believe he was given a contract for that reason. Nyatanga was ok at the end of last season and certainly a better bet than Fontaine. But when Williams became available maybe SOD/Burt went for that as preferred option to Lewin? Three left-sided central defenders is a bit overkill. I would've kept Heaton and Stead too, over Baldock and Davies, but they're under contract. Stead's definitely got the character SOD's after.

Rest of what you say I agree with.

I bet it's a bit of a shock to some of them, not the ones signed by SoD as they should have had it spelt out to them as part of their 'interview' process exactly what was expected of them. But some of the others must know they got to shape up or ship out.

But why shouldn't they be doing more of this sort of stuff, they are professional footballers after all? Their days should be filled rather them just turning up for 2 hours training a day. They are rewarded well now it seems they might have to work for it, and not before time.

I bet it's a bit of a shock to some of them, not the ones signed by SoD as they should have had it spelt out to them as part of their 'interview' process exactly what was expected of them. But some of the others must know they got to shape up or ship out.

But why shouldn't they be doing more of this sort of stuff, they are professional footballers after all? Their days should be filled rather them just turning up for 2 hours training a day. They are rewarded well now it seems they might have to work for it, and not before time.

I couldn't agree more! As it appears, do SOD & Burt. Good on them!

If any player can not but into an ideal that will help get the best out them and the team/squad as a whole, then I would rather they packed up and f**ked off asap.

It is refreshing to hear all that is being said in these blogs. Of course, actions need to follow up on all of the words, but if they do then I for one am excited about the type of team and their collective focus that will be on show over the course of the season.

I do not expect some miraculous change in the whole way each player performs and conducts himself, but i am looking forward to seeing an improvement in effort, decision making and teamwork, which in turn, will hopefully bring about better perfomances and results.

If I was a pro footballer and I had a new manager that was teaching me new things that could improve my game, mindset and career, then I would be lapping it up and champing at the bit to get out there and put these things into practise on the pitch.

Spot on.

Some won't get it, and they'll move on now or at Christmas, but I think we might be surprised as to how much this sort of approach might improve not just the team, but some of the 'deadwood' we've been saddled with for quite some time. I'm not a big fan of Kilkenny, and know many think that Pearson is worthless, but looking back at their best periods with other clubs and it tended to be as small cogs in a larger, well organised units (Leeds, Celtic/Derby), so maybe a summer like this could see us get a little bit more value from them.

Like what SOD is saying,though ultimately its down to the players to buy into it,think a few characters won't,but I'd like to think the younger squad members will.

The squad need to be "in it together" from the off,close nit,all for one one for all malarkey!

Think that was missing from last season on the pitch,off the pitch JM done his best,but nightlife and pro footballers don't go (week in week out that is)

Hearing all the right things and seeing it with the boys he's bought in,now it will be down to the squad on the pitch come the start.

Another interesting read. I don't think anyone else has mentioned it, but the interesting part for me in this blog was "Four or five things came back but 'trust' was a really big thing."

I wonder who they were talking about when they say trust? Now, for me, I think they're talking about Albert Adomah as the article leads on to say "which translates to knowing their mate is going to do their job on the pitch and that they have got your back if you need help during a game"

Archived