IGNORED

O'driscolls Spanish Blog - Day 1

!james

As I see it, we've conceded 3 goals thus far and there's been two errors reminiscent of the last couple of seasons which has resulted in two of them being conceded.

One by Wilson and one (particularly bad) mistake by Carey - both have been here for donkeys years. So SOD is right to say the same frailties are still here - because some of the same defenders are here including Fontaine . Those players make repetitive errors and nothing SOD will do will change that fact and I'd be very surprised if he isn't of the same mindset hence two defenders being signed. He is therefore dealing with that particular problem - its progress on the field.

He's obviously aware of the problems of last season and from where they emanate and Skuse is now gone so another defensive problem is now solved.Provided the above players are nowhere near the first team (and I'd be very surprised if they are), I'm more than confident that the defensive problems of the last couple of seasons will be behind us - there will be the odd mistake, that is absolutely inevitable, but not the one, two or three a game we are used to from the usual clowns.

Whether we have a team capable of competing at the right end of the table is another matter and time will tell in that respect and that is what we should give it - a bit of time not knee jerk reactions to two kickabouts and a friendly against a team further into pre-season than us.

Let's not forget that SOD gave Carey a new contract and if he had got his way Nyatanga would still be here.

I'm pleased with the type of players that he's bringing to the club but those 2 decisions don't do it for me.

After reading that, I am slightly more confident in what the team is trying to achieve, not only on the pitch, but off of it. For me, what screams from the article is that we might be a little off (in terms of players) where SOD wants us to be. I almost read it as being a bit of a plea to the fans for patience as he goes on to explain what he wants from his players.

I get the feeling that we may not be in for an easy ride in league one, and although on paper we have a very competitive squad, as SOD explains, we’re trying to change the clubs way of thinking which could potentially take time. I for one am excited about this new regime, so I really do hope that the fans get behind the team even if we have a bad patch. As SOD touches on, Bristol City is broken in terms of spirit and direction. This could be blamed on a number of managers and the stamp they tried to put on the club, but SOD is trying desperately to fix that.

So, what am I trying to say in a long winded way? Let’s all get behind the team, I know most of us do, but we are all guilty of throwing the toys out of the pram when we have a bad spell, and I think most of us would agree City fans are maybe a little bit more fickle than most.

IN SOD WE TRUST!! Well, I certainly do..

?..great post mate-and a very well thought out and constructed message from SOD..we must try and get behind the players and staff showing patience from square one.its gona be a bumpy ride....

SO'D job when he joined was to do what he could to keep us up but more importantly work towards this seasons new start, whatever division that was in. There was no chance of changing the ethos and mentality engraved in the club for far to long while a season was underway. As most sensible posters have mentioned it could take years. For me it's the improvements (or lack of) that we see by the time next May comes around that he should be judged.

SO'D job when he joined was to do what he could to keep us up but more importantly work towards this seasons new start, whatever division that was in. There was no chance of changing the ethos and mentality engraved in the club for far to long while a season was underway. As most sensible posters have mentioned it could take years. For me it's the improvements (or lack of) that we see by the time next May comes around that he should be judged.

s.o.d. his ethos will never change. he's here for the long term.

as has already been said on here,patience.

when was the last time we had a young,potentialy exciting side,that whatever happens this season,next we should be stronger.

the last really young side we had was under cooper. and we know how things went from there.

and for the first time in many years,we haven't signed any journymen! just lads keen to make a mark!

i for one am looking foward to this season,we've got a difficult start,might struggle, but we'le get stronger.

i could be way off the mark,but to me this seems like a breath of fresh air. urreeedddsss!

I appreciate SO'D's desire to communicate with the fans. He is the man I wanted when/since GJ left although I was more than prepared to support Keith and Del whilst they were at the helm. I'm glad I've now got my wish (albeit in circumstances I'd have wished to avoid!).

It's a huge transition process but it feels like a fresh start in League 1 and I for one have faith in SO'D to guide us through it.

Very interesting read as always.

Personally encouraged by this article- SOD might not be a good communicator with the press but here is a clear indication of man who takes his job very seriously and has a sharp mind -must be given time to put his philosophies into action.

We are always going to get some supporters that expect results straight away,that's football supporters for you,nothing wrong with that,though hope the majority of fans can see what SOD is doing here(which I believe they can) is that he's building for the future and results won't always be the right ones,I'm ok with this as long as the players who play give a 110% each game and try and play some decent stuff,got a lot of young players that have come in and as long as they show the above,I will support them and the team through the good and bad times.

What I won't stand for though,is inept performances or commitment from so called season pro's that killed the club last season, which IMO theres 3-4 still here,everyone deserves a second chance and its up to these 3-4 (if still here come opening day) to show us that actually they do care and want to do well.

Just a few right ones would be nice. That's one win in 12 games now. And it's not often that any of our players give 110 per cent each game

Like what SoD/the Club's trying to do.

I'd be interested though to be a 'fly on the wall' at one of his player meetings. Is he a great communicator/motivator? That's what's needed from a manager to get the best out of players in today's game. Not (yet) convinced.

Personally, I'd leave most of the technical stuff in the FA training manuals. Today's (very) average UK player needs fitness and strength training to play high tempo, be mentally strong and resilient (6 months on we still have no obvious captain!) and above all, BE A WINNER.

Not entirely sure SoDs training priorities are the same.

Still Rome wasn't built in a day, or even 6 months!

Just a few right ones would be nice. That's one win in 12 games now. And it's not often that any of our players give 110 per cent each game

yes the stats don't lie that's for sure,though I think the mess we were in under Mcinness isn't going to be changed overnight,I personally will give SOD and the team til Xmas to make a judgement on wether progress is being made,top 8 by then and il be happy

I see, so the prevailing wind is to let him get on with it no questions asked, because everything is peachy and will culminate in our ascension to nirvana under his stewardship despite no discernable evidence to prove this. Right Oh. Message received loud and clear..

People are allowed to have a different opinion than you. Just because some people actually have some optimism for the coming season it doesn't mean you have to agree with them, but when you respond like this you just sound a bit like a grumpy child

I see, so the prevailing wind is to let him get on with it no questions asked, because everything is peachy and will culminate in our ascension to nirvana under his stewardship despite no discernable evidence to prove this. Right Oh. Message received loud and clear..

To be fair to Ralph, we have been given promises, beliefs and optimism from the last three managers who have all failed to deliver.

To be fair to Ralph, we have been given promises, beliefs and optimism from the last three managers who have all failed to deliver.

People are allowed to have a different opinion than you. Just because some people actually have some optimism for the coming season it doesn't mean you have to agree with them, but when you respond like this you just sound a bit like a grumpy child

There can be no doubt SO`D can talk the talk but can he put our team together and get us out of this div? am concerned we might not " be ready" for Bradford why is that, if Bradford are so should we be.

We should play our best available players in every game from now till then.

Some always have optimism at this time of the year with the talk coming from recent managers, reality may come as a shock to them as we need to walk before we start to fly.

We have shown little to date on the pitch since the arrival of our latest manager, saying that, we do need to keep a manager for more than 5mins will it be this one? time and RESULTS will tell.

But he didn't say that did he.

He said "its unrealistic to expect us to be the finished article by August 3rd."

Of course the players will be ready for Bradford, but its obvious they won't be the "finished article" after a few friendlies and a week in the sun. I don't think we'll win the game anyway given their momentum and our turnaround in players.

And we very rarely start well or win in general.

In all seriousness you are completely correct.

Christ, he seems to know his shit does our Sod, nice piece of writing.

Encouraging, he's going to improve them its clear.

Who said" football isn't played on paper" ? If it was S o'D would win us the champion's league.

I just hope the actions follow thèse words of wisdom .

In Sod we ( want ) to trust

Day 2

I never thought we would be coming to Spain to cool down! But although the weather is as hot as it is at home, there is a constant breeze which has made the training conditions really good.

The first three days of the camp have started with breakfast from 7-8.30am, a morning session on the pitches from 9am, lunch at 12noon then an afternoon training session from about 4pm before dinner at 7pm with team meetings fitted in around.

The hotel is used to hosting football teams; Motherwell were here before us, and everything we need is here. We have four good pitches, water and ice are in constant supply and there is someone designated to look after us in case we need anything at all.

It is very quiet and the benefit of doing this is that there are no distractions at all. People don't have to get away and pick the kids up or anything like that so the boys and staff are spending a lot of time together.

We had a team meeting on Monday night and for the first time we asked the players what they want from the week.

Four or five things came back but 'trust' was a really big thing. They want to be able to trust one another, which translates to knowing their mate is going to do their job on the pitch and that they have got your back if you need help during a game.

John Pemberton did his UEFA Pro Licence thesis about the Red Arrows acrobatic display team and he did a presentation to us on the characteristics that underpin this high performance team and why they are the best in the world at what they do. He talked about the selection processes, the demands they make on each other, the characteristics of the pilots and the critical importance of roles and responsibilities.

To even get to the selection process everyone has to be a fantastic flyer but during that process character is the defining factor. Trust is everything because lives depend on it. It takes nine months for a Red Arrows team to go from selection process to performing.

The correlation to sport is fascinating. Obviously no-one dies if someone makes a mistake on the football pitch! But you still have to completely trust your team-mate to do his job properly so you can do yours, etc.

In the Red Arrows, Red 1 is the leader. If he is not available to fly, no one goes out. There are 11 pilots in the squadron but only nine ever fly, yet Red 10 and 11 are the most important members of the team because, although they don't fly in the nine, they are the ones who can step in and fly in any position.

The comparison with football is you might not be in the matchday squad but everyone in the squad still needs to buy-in to what we are all trying to achieve, and be part of it, because they never know when they may have a massive role to play.

Some characteristics we have already got in the squad, others we have but need to work on and others we haven't got at all. The thing in football is, particularly because of the constant pressure on results, clubs are in a constant state of flux. The turnover in players and coaching staff is high and you never get stability.

All the big, successful clubs have cultures whereby their recruitment policies only focus on players who they think can come and fit straight in, and if they don't fit in they won't play. Often at the bigger clubs the star players are the team players.

As soon as the Red Arrows do a training routine they immediately debrief in an ops room, and then do a more detailed debrief, referring to video footage of the training, later. The debriefs are brutal, there is no comeback. If Red 3 tells Red 6, for example, he was flying too close, Red 6 has to just accept it and trust his team-mate.

What we are trying to say to the players is if your team-mate is telling you to do this or that, no one is trying to get at you and have a go, they are doing it to make you better. John Terry, Stuart Pearce, Bryan Robson would all be football equivalents of Red 1. The problem we have in British football as a whole is we don't have enough of that sort of character, so you have to try to get people to influence in different ways.

We trained on Tuesday and got them to debrief straight after the session. They then got into groups and were all given a different part of the session to watch again on video before coming back to present to the rest of the group what they thought, and whether what actually happened on the pitch differed from their initial perceptions.

What you want is that when each group is debriefing we are all seeing the same things. And it isn't the small technical details, it is the big picture things that are the most important. If they are missing the big picture, then they don't understand what they are being asked to do, and if they don't understand what they want from each other how can they perform and contribute effectively as part of a that team.

It has been a really good first three days; the boys have worked hard when it's been demanded of them and have been very positive and supportive of each other. Doing it here is the easy bit though; if it doesn't ultimately translate into matches what we have done here has been meaningless. Only they can make sure that isn't the case.

Sean O'Driscoll

So, if the captain can't play the match gets cancelled! Can't see that working myself. Also, does this mean they'll be running round the pitch with their arms outstretched and making plane noises like we did when we were little dappers?

It will be interesting to see if the players buy into all this. As we know from experience, footballers aren't the brightest bunch and I'm not sure making them do presentations to their fellow players will be widely received. We know how the Aussie cricket team reacted to be given taks like these to do.

On the subject of the Red Arrows,I can see the teamwork aspect that he's trying to get across but it all smacks of management speak to me.

If that blog was done by John Ward and had been lifted from the Gas forum, it would be ripped apart IMO.

So, if the captain can't play the match gets cancelled! Can't see that working myself. Also, does this mean they'll be running round the pitch with their arms outstretched and making plane noises like we did when we were little dappers?

Please, please make this happen.

Another enjoyable read. I'm really liking Sean's emphasis on team work, it's core to his game plan for next season and it's what all the successful teams have, look at Wolves last year - a prime example of a team with talented players but no team work falling apart. The meetings behind the scenes at training sound interesting too, definitely something I think would help the players' to understand the philosophy SO'D is trying to build and the roles they have within it. Hopefully they take it on board.

If that blog was done by John Ward and had been lifted from the Gas forum, it would be ripped apart IMO.

But if someone respected in football said it people would lap it up, we'd only rip it apart from Ward cos it's the Gas. Some of us respect SOD and like the fact he's trying to communicate what he's trying to do so we'll be impressed and enjoy this kind of stuff, but the fans who still aren't really sure about the bloke will use it as another thing to demand less words, more action. The only way he's ever going to win is progress on the pitch. I just think in all the stuff he's written and done so far this pre-season at least he's recognised the problems we've all been shouting about for months and has tried to do something about them. We weren't a team last year, we had no leaders and some players looked like they couldn't give a rat's arse a lot of the time. Everything he's written in today's blog says he agrees with us!

Archived